Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Wishlist - Archiving Old Folders to avoid Backup Needs but keep accesss as READ ONLY

Thanks!

I'll give it a shot.

<P>Thanks!</P> <P>I'll give it a shot.</P>

Hi!

I have an e-mail history going back to 1998.  I'd like to have my 1998 through 2006 folders stored away from my Pmail program file structure so that I no longer have to back them up or have them part of my Pmail while I'm operating it daily BUT I'd like to be able to incorporate them in a search READ ONLY if I need to do a lookup for past e-mails when needed.  Sort of like a setting that allows for me to access additional files that are archival only.

Can this be done?  Is it already possible?

Thanks in advance,

Coach

<P>Hi!</P> <P>I have an e-mail history going back to 1998.  I'd like to have my 1998 through 2006 folders stored away from my Pmail program file structure so that I no longer have to back them up or have them part of my Pmail while I'm operating it daily BUT I'd like to be able to incorporate them in a search READ ONLY if I need to do a lookup for past e-mails when needed.  Sort of like a setting that allows for me to access additional files that are archival only.</P> <P>Can this be done?  Is it already possible?</P> <P>Thanks in advance,</P> <P>Coach</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Coach"]

Hi!

I have an e-mail history going back to 1998.  I'd like to have my 1998 through 2006 folders stored away from my Pmail program file structure so that I no longer have to back them up or have them part of my Pmail while I'm operating it daily BUT I'd like to be able to incorporate them in a search READ ONLY if I need to do a lookup for past e-mails when needed.  Sort of like a setting that allows for me to access additional files that are archival only.

Can this be done?  Is it already possible?

Thanks in advance,

Coach
[/quote]

What I did was create a specific USER called "Archive" using user management in the addresses menu.

Used the program PMRestArch to backup my folder structure to the Archive users home mailbox

Opened the user Archived and deleted the folders I didn't want there and in my normal user deleted the folders I mo longer want to have on line.

That was the basic, and now I have a specific folder "Must go to Archive" where I store the mail in I want archived, periodically I copy that files (using Windows Explorer) from my home mailbox to the Archive-mailbox.

But there are many more ways to go.....

[quote user="Coach"]<p>Hi!</p> <p>I have an e-mail history going back to 1998.  I'd like to have my 1998 through 2006 folders stored away from my Pmail program file structure so that I no longer have to back them up or have them part of my Pmail while I'm operating it daily BUT I'd like to be able to incorporate them in a search READ ONLY if I need to do a lookup for past e-mails when needed.  Sort of like a setting that allows for me to access additional files that are archival only.</p> <p>Can this be done?  Is it already possible?</p> <p>Thanks in advance,</p> <p mce_keep="true">Coach [/quote]</p><p mce_keep="true">What I did was create a specific USER called "Archive" using user management in the addresses menu.</p><p mce_keep="true">Used the program PMRestArch to backup my folder structure to the Archive users home mailbox</p><p mce_keep="true">Opened the user Archived and deleted the folders I didn't want there and in my normal user deleted the folders I mo longer want to have on line.</p><p mce_keep="true">That was the basic, and now I have a specific folder "Must go to Archive" where I store the mail in I want archived, periodically I copy that files (using Windows Explorer) from my home mailbox to the Archive-mailbox.</p><p mce_keep="true"> But there are many more ways to go.....</p><p mce_keep="true"> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Another option that may be of some use: Mailbag Assistant from Fookes Software.

It will read the emails from Pegasus into it's own format/application. Date ranges can be used for the import process, save the resultant file *.mbg. Now you can view, search, slice and dice (sort by mailbox [Pegasus Folder]), who, date and subject. When the message is being viewed you can hit reply/resend, this will launch Pegasus.

Now you could then use a Pegasus filter to gather all emails from within the date range filter to a folder and delete.

If you need to restore the Mailbag file then you would export from Mailbag to plain jane .mbx files which Pegasus can read/import back.

Mailbag is a small application, fast but with a downside -- it is shareware with a 30 day trial.

Found at:
http://www.fookes.com/mailbag/

Another option that may be of some use: Mailbag Assistant from Fookes Software. It will read the emails from Pegasus into it's own format/application. Date ranges can be used for the import process, save the resultant file *.mbg. Now you can view, search, slice and dice (sort by mailbox [Pegasus Folder]), who, date and subject. When the message is being viewed you can hit reply/resend, this will launch Pegasus. Now you could then use a Pegasus filter to gather all emails from within the date range filter to a folder and delete. If you need to restore the Mailbag file then you would export from Mailbag to plain jane .mbx files which Pegasus can read/import back. Mailbag is a small application, fast but with a downside -- it is shareware with a 30 day trial. Found at: http://www.fookes.com/mailbag/
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft