Community Discussions and Support
Corrupted Mail Folder due to use of AV Program

Thanks for your reply,

unfortunately up to the moment of this incident I never backed up my emails, but since then have done so once in every two weeks. 

I checked the corresponding mail folder files (FOL02A6C.PMI and FOL02A6C.PMM) and they are both still inside the Home mailbox location path.

When I said that the folder names were scrambled I meant the folder names that appear within Pegasus Mail (ID) and not the actual file names.

By the way, sorry for my late reply but I can only get online once in a while. I very much appreciate your help!

Kiwicom

<P>Thanks for your reply,</P> <P>unfortunately up to the moment of this incident I never backed up my emails, but since then have done so once in every two weeks. </P> <P>I checked the corresponding mail folder files (FOL02A6C.PMI and FOL02A6C.PMM) and they are both still inside the Home mailbox location path.</P> <P>When I said that the folder names were scrambled I meant the folder names that appear within Pegasus Mail (ID) and not the actual file names.</P> <P>By the way, sorry for my late reply but I can only get online once in a while. I very much appreciate your help!</P> <P>Kiwicom</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hello everyone!

I'm using Pegasus Mail 4.41. Some time ago my AV-program (AVG-Antivirus) detected some viruses in the pmail folder and deleted them, manipulating 2 of my mail folders (pmm -files). As a result the names of these folders appear completely scrambled. The emails inside the folders appear with their correct headings, but once I open them only a blank page appears, all contents including attachments disappeared!!! Also when I close the mail folder an error message appears, stating that a consistency problem has occured, which is described as: ** Probable invalid offset in index record. The message suggests me to reindex the folder, but doing that unfortunately didn't change anything. I'm really desperate about this as I stored a lot of important emails in these folders. Can someone please advise me on how I can recover my messages? 

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions you may have,

Kiwicom

<P>Hello everyone!</P> <P>I'm using Pegasus Mail 4.41. Some time ago my AV-program (AVG-Antivirus) detected some viruses in the pmail folder and deleted them, manipulating 2 of my mail folders (pmm -files). As a result the names of these folders appear completely scrambled. The emails inside the folders appear with their correct headings, but once I open them only a blank page appears, all contents including attachments disappeared!!! Also when I close the mail folder an error message appears, stating that a consistency problem has occured, which is described as: ** Probable invalid offset in index record. The message suggests me to reindex the folder, but doing that unfortunately didn't change anything. I'm really desperate about this as I stored a lot of important emails in these folders. Can someone please advise me on how I can recover my messages? </P> <P>Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions you may have,</P> <P>Kiwicom</P>

The most reliable way would be to restore the files from an external backup, but I assume from what you say

[quote]

I'm really desperate about this as I stored a lot of important emails in these folders.

[/quote]

that you do not have a regular backup copy of your Pegasus Mail. If your email is as important to you as you say, you really must get into the habit of doing regular backups of your \pmail folders.  That said, lets see what we can do to get your folders back.

The Pegasus Mail folder files come in pairs: .pmm & .pmi, you need both for the folders to be viable.  Have you recovered your .pmm files from your AVG quaranteen?

[quote]

As a result the names of these folders appear completely scrambled.

[/quote]

Is this the folder name in Pegaus Mail or the actual filename of the folder that is scrambled?

When you look at the files in your Home mailbox location can you see both a .pmm and .pmi for the files that AVG quaranteened?  To find your Home mailbox location path, go to Help -> About -> Info and look at the line starting with "Home mailbox location:".  Use Windows Explorer to navigate to that path to see the files in it.

Lex

<p>The most reliable way would be to restore the files from an external backup, but I assume from what you say</p><p> [quote]</p><p>I'm really desperate about this as I stored a lot of important emails in these folders.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>that you do not have a regular backup copy of your Pegasus Mail. If your email is as important to you as you say, you really must get into the habit of doing regular backups of your \pmail folders.  That said, lets see what we can do to get your folders back.</p><p>The Pegasus Mail folder files come in pairs: .pmm & .pmi, you need both for the folders to be viable.  Have you recovered your .pmm files from your AVG quaranteen?</p><p>[quote]</p><p>As a result the names of these folders appear completely scrambled.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Is this the folder name in Pegaus Mail or the actual filename of the folder that is scrambled?</p><p>When you look at the files in your Home mailbox location can you see both a .pmm and .pmi for the files that AVG quaranteened?  To find your Home mailbox location path, go to Help -> About -> Info and look at the line starting with "Home mailbox location:".  Use Windows Explorer to navigate to that path to see the files in it.</p><p>Lex  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft