Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Adding two new columns

Hi !

But I did not know that we had this possibility of creating such shortcuts ! Amazing, Pegasus Mail is really full of nice surprises [:)]. However, from a user perspective, itis not false to say that not everyone is comfortable with the keyboard or with the shorcuts, and since the objective is to extend the user base, it seems to me that if those two columns allow such an increase, then they should taken into consideration for integration. Indeed, for the basic user, it will much simpler to click in the "Spam" column rather than set a shortcut. Now, I prefer the shortcut version, but since I suggested that those columns be optional, once the user is comfortable with Pegasus Mail and has definitely adopted it, which will be the time from which she will start to look more closely at its options, then given her taste, she will either disable or leave as it is this option. I think this suggestion will do no harm in terms of efficiency since being optional the experienced users can always turn it down, so from their point nothing is lost, however from the point of view of a new user who is trying Pegasus Mail, then it can make a difference. Now if really, these columns will make the option menu too complicated, then just add it to the distribution as a plugin-file like "Hangup.ffr", but make this file be there by default. I hope that I manage somehow to put forward that this kind of options could prove to be useful.

Bye !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>But I did not know that we had this possibility of creating such shortcuts ! Amazing, Pegasus Mail is really full of nice surprises [:)]. However, from a user perspective, itis not false to say that not everyone is comfortable with the keyboard or with the shorcuts, and since the objective is to extend the user base, it seems to me that if those two columns allow such an increase, then they should taken into consideration for integration. Indeed, for the basic user, it will much simpler to click in the "Spam" column rather than set a shortcut. Now, I prefer the shortcut version, but since I suggested that those columns be optional, once the user is comfortable with Pegasus Mail and has definitely adopted it, which will be the time from which she will start to look more closely at its options, then given her taste, she will either disable or leave as it is this option. I think this suggestion will do no harm in terms of efficiency since being optional the experienced users can always turn it down, so from their point nothing is lost, however from the point of view of a new user who is trying Pegasus Mail, then it can make a difference. Now if really, these columns will make the option menu too complicated, then just add it to the distribution as a plugin-file like "Hangup.ffr", but make this file be there by default. I hope that I manage somehow to put forward that this kind of options could prove to be useful.</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

Hi !

Well, I have another feature request concerning the management of spams and false-positives. Consider the "New Mail Folder", then in the area of Pegasus Mail where the emails are listed, we have 5 columns, the first is titleless (what's its use ? I do not mean that it is useless, just I do not know how to read it), the second is tagged "Sender", the third "Subject", the fourth "Date/Time" and the fifth "Size". Now assume we receive 10 spams such that Spamhalter has not yet been trained to recognize them, what is usually done is to move those spams to the "Spam Folder" in order to enrich Spamhalter's knowledge base. Couldn't we have an extra column tagged "Spam" in which, given an email, if we click at the intersection of the column and the email's line, then an icon appears indicating that this email has been classified as a spam ? On top of that, it would be nice to have the option to enable the automatic move of such marked emails (when the marking has been performed). Now, following this idea, in case of false-positives, there should be an extra column in the "Spam Folder" that would be the "inverse" of the one of the "New Mail Folder" and that could be tagged "Non-spam" with a different icon of course and the option to enable the automatic move of such identified false-positive back to the "New Mail Folder". Combined with the area selection request of emails, we could then deal with large groups of spams or false-positives in a quicker way, which will save us a bit of time and also ease the use of Pegasus Mail by making it a little more comfortable than it is now. I believe this feature already exists in Thunderbird, Foxmail or Sylpheed. Hope this will be accepted.

Bye !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>Well, I have another feature request concerning the management of spams and false-positives. Consider the "New Mail Folder", then in the area of Pegasus Mail where the emails are listed, we have 5 columns, the first is titleless (what's its use ? I do not mean that it is useless, just I do not know how to read it), the second is tagged "Sender", the third "Subject", the fourth "Date/Time" and the fifth "Size". Now assume we receive 10 spams such that Spamhalter has not yet been trained to recognize them, what is usually done is to move those spams to the "Spam Folder" in order to enrich Spamhalter's knowledge base. Couldn't we have an extra column tagged "Spam" in which, given an email, if we click at the intersection of the column and the email's line, then an icon appears indicating that this email has been classified as a spam ? On top of that, it would be nice to have the option to enable the automatic move of such marked emails (when the marking has been performed). Now, following this idea, in case of false-positives, there should be an extra column in the "Spam Folder" that would be the "inverse" of the one of the "New Mail Folder" and that could be tagged "Non-spam" with a different icon of course and the option to enable the automatic move of such identified false-positive back to the "New Mail Folder". Combined with the area selection request of emails, we could then deal with large groups of spams or false-positives in a quicker way, which will save us a bit of time and also ease the use of Pegasus Mail by making it a little more comfortable than it is now. I believe this feature already exists in Thunderbird, Foxmail or Sylpheed. Hope this will be accepted.</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

I'm not sure that i got you right.

If Spamhalter classified a mail as spam it will move it into the spam folder. So all mail there IS spam. If you move a mail out of the spam folder, it's classified as non-spam. If you move into, it's classified spam.

So, what's your approach?

Nils

I'm not sure that i got you right. If Spamhalter classified a mail as spam it will move it into the spam folder. So all mail there IS spam. If you move a mail out of the spam folder, it's classified as non-spam. If you move into, it's classified spam. So, what's your approach? Nils

Hi !

In order for Spamhalter to classify a particular email, it has first to be able to recognize it, which means that at some point in the past you told him "Look, this kind of emails are spams". Now, this action of telling Spamhalter that some emails are spams, well it is a bit tedious when you have, say, 50 emails in your "New Mail Folder" and all mixed up with non-spam emails. If we have this extra column, a simple clic will "mark" the email we are interested in as spam, and then it will be moved automatically to the "Spam Folder" making Spamhalter know that this particular kind of emails are to be considered as spams. Of course, for false-positives, we need some sort of "Inverse" of this extra column. I hope to have clarify what I meant. If the "group selection" feature is present, then we can perform this telling-to-Spamhalter procedure a lot less time consuming (for instance suppose you have 100 new emails that are indeed spams, but scattered amongst 250 emails by groups of 10 or 20).

Bye !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>In order for Spamhalter to classify a particular email, it has first to be able to recognize it, which means that at some point in the past you told him "Look, this kind of emails are spams". Now, this action of telling Spamhalter that some emails are spams, well it is a bit tedious when you have, say, 50 emails in your "New Mail Folder" and all mixed up with non-spam emails. If we have this extra column, a simple clic will "mark" the email we are interested in as spam, and then it will be moved automatically to the "Spam Folder" making Spamhalter know that this particular kind of emails are to be considered as spams. Of course, for false-positives, we need some sort of "Inverse" of this extra column. I hope to have clarify what I meant. If the "group selection" feature is present, then we can perform this telling-to-Spamhalter procedure a lot less time consuming (for instance suppose you have 100 new emails that are indeed spams, but scattered amongst 250 emails by groups of 10 or 20). </p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

[quote user="Ginhead"]

Hi !

In order for Spamhalter to classify a particular email, it has first to be able to recognize it, which means that at some point in the past you told him "Look, this kind of emails are spams". Now, this action of telling Spamhalter that some emails are spams, well it is a bit tedious when you have, say, 50 emails in your "New Mail Folder" and all mixed up with non-spam emails. If we have this extra column, a simple clic will "mark" the email we are interested in as spam, and then it will be moved automatically to the "Spam Folder" making Spamhalter know that this particular kind of emails are to be considered as spams. Of course, for false-positives, we need some sort of "Inverse" of this extra column. I hope to have clarify what I meant. If the "group selection" feature is present, then we can perform this telling-to-Spamhalter procedure a lot less time consuming (for instance suppose you have 100 new emails that are indeed spams, but scattered amongst 250 emails by groups of 10 or 20).

Bye !

Ginhead. 

[/quote]

You need to select them manually anyway, so just keep ctrl pressed while selecting the messages and move them into the spamfolder in one go. I don't think (due to space limitation) that adding extra columns to the new mail folder view is a go.

[quote user="Ginhead"]<p>Hi !</p><p>In order for Spamhalter to classify a particular email, it has first to be able to recognize it, which means that at some point in the past you told him "Look, this kind of emails are spams". Now, this action of telling Spamhalter that some emails are spams, well it is a bit tedious when you have, say, 50 emails in your "New Mail Folder" and all mixed up with non-spam emails. If we have this extra column, a simple clic will "mark" the email we are interested in as spam, and then it will be moved automatically to the "Spam Folder" making Spamhalter know that this particular kind of emails are to be considered as spams. Of course, for false-positives, we need some sort of "Inverse" of this extra column. I hope to have clarify what I meant. If the "group selection" feature is present, then we can perform this telling-to-Spamhalter procedure a lot less time consuming (for instance suppose you have 100 new emails that are indeed spams, but scattered amongst 250 emails by groups of 10 or 20). </p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>You need to select them manually anyway, so just keep ctrl pressed while selecting the messages and move them into the spamfolder in one go. I don't think (due to space limitation) that adding extra columns to the new mail folder view is a go.</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Hi !

You do have a point here for groups of spam, however I think this two columns (that would be optional and that one could make appear by, for instance, right-clicking on one of them and ticking in the list that will appear the item called "Spam") could proved useful in terms of time saving for not-yet-identified spams that are not group-scattered. For instance, if you have 300 emails with 150 not-yet-identified spams but not group-scattered, like say one message every two messages is a spam, then you will have to maintain CTRL and select each of these 150 spams one by one, but with the risk to double-click one of them (by chance) which will automatically unselect (or deselect) all the others. Now suppose you have selected 148 spams, and that you double-click on the 149th, then all you did before is lost and you have to perform the selection from the beginning again. Now if we have this extra "Spam" column, then the selection click becomes an eliminating one, and this way when you reach number 149, the 148 previous ones have already been sent into the "Spam" folder. From this perspective, I think those two columns can be useful. Now for the space limitation, it is not really a problem since it would be a very thick column, for instance it could be a small black dot and when you click on it it becomes red and wether it is then moved automatically into the "Spam" folder has yet to be decided by the user who should have the ability to choose between "do not move automatically the red-dot identified messages to the "Spam" folder" and "move automatically the red-dot identified messages to the "Spam" folder". I hope to have been more convincing this time [:D].

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>You do have a point here for groups of spam, however I think this two columns (that would be optional and that one could make appear by, for instance, right-clicking on one of them and ticking in the list that will appear the item called "Spam") could proved useful in terms of time saving for not-yet-identified spams that are not group-scattered. For instance, if you have 300 emails with 150 not-yet-identified spams but not group-scattered, like say one message every two messages is a spam, then you will have to maintain CTRL and select each of these 150 spams one by one, but with the risk to double-click one of them (by chance) which will automatically unselect (or deselect) all the others. Now suppose you have selected 148 spams, and that you double-click on the 149th, then all you did before is lost and you have to perform the selection from the beginning again. Now if we have this extra "Spam" column, then the selection click becomes an eliminating one, and this way when you reach number 149, the 148 previous ones have already been sent into the "Spam" folder. From this perspective, I think those two columns can be useful. Now for the space limitation, it is not really a problem since it would be a very thick column, for instance it could be a small black dot and when you click on it it becomes red and wether it is then moved automatically into the "Spam" folder has yet to be decided by the user who should have the ability to choose between "do not move automatically the red-dot identified messages to the "Spam" folder" and "move automatically the red-dot identified messages to the "Spam" folder". I hope to have been more convincing this time [:D].</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

Ok, but this is how I do it now: I have assigned a quick move key (Messages or Folders -> QWuick Copy/move -> define) to the spamhalter folder. When I go from top to bottom in my New Mail folder, I just press the number key assosiated with the move and the message is gone to the folder and Spamhalter trained. Do I handle all messages in one go, no need to multiple select and such.

Just my 2c

<p>Ok, but this is how I do it now: I have assigned a quick move key (Messages or Folders -> QWuick Copy/move -> define) to the spamhalter folder. When I go from top to bottom in my New Mail folder, I just press the number key assosiated with the move and the message is gone to the folder and Spamhalter trained. Do I handle all messages in one go, no need to multiple select and such.</p><p>Just my 2c</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft