Community Discussions and Support
Urgent: Mercury keeps sending out the same mail message

There is a separate log file for each module in Mercury. For the SMPT client you select the module you use from the configuration menu. There is a field called "General log file" that controls this. If it contains a fixed file name (like C:\MERCURY\Logs\MercuryE\smtp.log) it will add new lines forever to the same file. You can however use some special parameters to have it create a new file at set times. For instance:

C:\MERCURY\Logs\MercuryE\~y-~m.log           <--- a new file every month

C:\MERCURY\Logs\MercuryE\~y-~w.log           <-- a new file every week

C:\MERCURY\Logs\MercuryE\~y-~m-~d.log      <-- a new file every day

/Rolf 

&lt;p&gt;There is a separate log file for each module in Mercury. For the SMPT client you select the module you use from the configuration menu. There is a field called &quot;General log file&quot; that controls this. If it contains a fixed file name (like C:\MERCURY\Logs\MercuryE\smtp.log) it will add new lines forever to the same file. You can however use some special parameters to have it create a new file at set times. For instance:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;C:\MERCURY\Logs\MercuryE\~y-~m.log&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;--- a new file every month&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;C:\MERCURY\Logs\MercuryE\~y-~w.log&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;-- a new file every week&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;C:\MERCURY\Logs\MercuryE\~y-~m-~d.log&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;-- a new file every day&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Can anyone help me with this?

I sent an email with a pps attachment to a friend (who is just starting to use Pegasus Mail today). He keeps getting this mail and I have traced it, I think, to Mercury, which seems to be sending the same mail out over and over again. How can I find this and delete it in Mercury?

He has his mail to be deleted on the server once downloaded, so that is not the problem.

I have had to take myself offline in Mercury, which is not very good, obviously.

Any help will be gratefully received. Also any idea why this might have happened? It was less than 1 MB in size, by the way, with the attachment.

Thanks

Ellie

&lt;p&gt;Can anyone help me with this?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I sent an email with a pps attachment to a friend (who is just starting to use Pegasus Mail today). He keeps getting this mail and I have traced it, I think, to Mercury, which seems to be sending the same mail out over and over again. How can I find this and delete it in Mercury?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;He has his mail to be deleted on the server once downloaded, so that is not the problem.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have had to take myself offline in Mercury, which is not very good, obviously. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any help will be gratefully received. Also any idea why this might have happened? It was less than 1 MB in size, by the way, with the attachment.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ellie &lt;/p&gt;

I would suspect a POP3 problem on his end, but to answer your question, look in the queue folder for a "stuck" pair (*.qcf & *.qdf) of files with the same name.

They are just text files and can be opened with a text editor to check their contents.

Do you use MercC or MercE?

You can check the log files for whichever of these (and the Core log) to see what is happening.

&lt;p&gt;I would suspect a POP3 problem on his end, but to answer your question, look in the queue folder for a &quot;stuck&quot; pair (*.qcf &amp;amp; *.qdf) of files with the same name.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;They are just text files and can be opened with a text editor to check their contents.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Do you use MercC or MercE?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;You can check the log files for whichever of these (and the Core log) to see what is happening. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks,

In my Queue file in the Mercury subdirectory, I find nothing that is more recent than 8/12/2008. I find an awful lot of files in there, some of which are 26 MB in size. Should I delete these?

Are these messages stuck? I mean why are they so old, but in the Queue folder?

Ellie

Edit: I don't know which version. It gives me no information like that in the Help About section. 

&lt;p&gt;Thanks,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In my Queue file in the Mercury subdirectory, I find nothing that is more recent than 8/12/2008. I find an awful lot of files in there, some of which are 26 MB in size. Should I delete these?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Are these messages stuck? I mean why are they so old, but in the Queue folder? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ellie &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Edit: I don&#039;t know which version. It gives me no information like that in the Help About section.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;

Your queue file should be empty if nothing is in the process of being sent or received, so yes you can delete them.

Have a look at the files to see what they are.

Make sure your AV is not monitoring the queue folder and holding open the files preventing deletion after processing.

&lt;p&gt;Your queue file should be empty if nothing is in the process of being sent or received, so yes you can delete them.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Have a look at the files to see what they are.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Make sure your AV is not monitoring the queue folder and holding open the files preventing deletion after processing. &lt;/p&gt;

Thanks,

I am running no AV program on there, although probably was at the time.

Ellie

&lt;p&gt;Thanks,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am running no AV program on there, although probably was at the time.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ellie &lt;/p&gt;

The old files in the queue directory were probably due to interference from the antivirus program, as DLN indicated. But as there was no sign of the message to your friend it would seem he has a problem with the POP3 server he is using rather than with Mercury. You can verify this by checking the SMTP log files in mercury (MercuryC or MercuryE). 

/Rolf 

&lt;p&gt;The old files in the queue directory were probably due to interference from the antivirus program, as DLN indicated. But as there was no sign of the message to your friend it would seem he has a problem with the POP3 server he is using rather than with Mercury. You can verify this by checking the SMTP log files in mercury (MercuryC or MercuryE).&nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks Rolf,

I only seem to see the one log file record of that but find them very confusing with references in the same log file to messages sent in 2005 and yesterday. Not sure how to interpret all this.

Cheers!

Ellie

&lt;p&gt;Thanks Rolf,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I only seem to see the one log file record of that but find them very confusing with references in the same log file to messages sent in 2005 and yesterday. Not sure how to interpret all this.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Cheers!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ellie &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft