Community Discussions and Support
Slow Opening, Latency Opening Pegasus Email Application

Hi!

I use Pegasus v.4.41 on Windows 2000 and in May 2007 Pegasus and other programs started running extremely slow, something like 100 times slower, especially when queing a mail for sending and when closing Pegasus (and moving read mails from New Mail folder to other folders).

Now I have done a lot of experiments, and my conclusion is that some Windows Updates (probably in May 2007) destroyed the speed, because now I have restored a HD image from Oct. 2006 twice, updated the firewall, the antivirus and spyware, and done virus- and spyware-scannings but the second time I only installed the MS-Windows Updates up to April the 10th 2007, and now Pegasus works perfectly again.

My guess is that my PC has some kind of hardware problem that hasn't been activated until I installed the Win2000 updates in May...

<P>Hi!</P> <P>I use Pegasus v.4.41 on Windows 2000 and in May 2007 Pegasus and other programs started running extremely slow, something like 100 times slower, especially when queing a mail for sending and when closing Pegasus (and moving read mails from New Mail folder to other folders).</P> <P>Now I have done a lot of experiments, and my conclusion is that some Windows Updates (probably in May 2007) destroyed the speed, because now I have restored a HD image from Oct. 2006 twice, updated the firewall, the antivirus and spyware, and done virus- and spyware-scannings but the second time I only installed the MS-Windows Updates up to April the 10th 2007, and now Pegasus works perfectly again.</P> <P>My guess is that my PC has some kind of hardware problem that hasn't been activated until I installed the Win2000 updates in May...</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

I am not sure the cause, we did change network servers running Windows Server 2003, with dual harddrives that are written to at the same time by a RAID controller.  The network clients are all running Windows XP.  I am not sure if it is the new server or the recent update of Windows XP, but for what ever reason, the Pegasus application takes anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes to fully open.  My partner which has more then one identity takes the longest.  I did see on the net one set of corrective actions to take which I did and are listed below.  These actions did not seem to cure the problem.  I also have some latency on other applications, which I believe occured post the Windows XP update.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

My wifes laptop has a very similar problem in that in takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes to open any email.  She is running the program on her system alone using Windows XP.  Again, this is a recent development.  I tried defrag etc but not help. 

Pegasus Email <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Pegasus email has several places where a reference to a decommissioned server might be found.

1. First, within the Windows shortcut itself there may be references to the decommissioned server.

Corrective Action: Delete the current Pegasus icon and remap it to the desktop again. This will correct any incorrect references within the old Pegasus icon.

1. Second, with the user's PMAIL subdirectory there is a configuration file called STATE.PMJ. If you open this file up with Notepad you may find a section labeled [QMAN] that may look like this:

[QMAN]
Queue\\ASDEAN\DATA01\Home\asdev\johndoe\PMAIL=-4,-23,804,485
Queue\\AAS102\HOME\asdev\johndoe\PMAIL=15,24,507,355

1. Third, also in the PMAIL subdirectory in the user's home directory, the primary configuration file, PMAIL.INI, can contain references to servers. To fix this, exit Pmail, and edit or delete the PMAIL.INI file.

Corrective Action: Deleting the PMAIL.INI file can clean up a number of problems, but the action will necessitate reconfiguring several settings for the user.

1. Fourth, make sure there are no absent printers listed in the Pegasus printers list (see File - Print in Pegasus).

Corrective Action: Delete the line that has a reference to the decommissioned server.

&lt;P&gt;I am not sure the cause, we did change network servers running Windows Server 2003, with dual harddrives that are written to at the same time by a RAID controller.&amp;nbsp; The network clients are all running Windows XP.&amp;nbsp; I am not sure if it is the new server or the recent update of Windows XP, but for what ever reason, the Pegasus application takes anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes to fully open.&amp;nbsp; My partner which has more then one identity takes the longest.&amp;nbsp; I did see on the net one set of corrective actions to take which I did and are listed below.&amp;nbsp; These actions did not seem to cure the problem.&amp;nbsp; I also have some latency on other applications, which I believe occured post the Windows XP update.&amp;nbsp; Any ideas would be appreciated.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;My wifes laptop has a very similar problem in that in takes&amp;nbsp;30 seconds to 2 minutes to open any email.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;She is&amp;nbsp;running the program on her system alone using Windows XP.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;Again, this is a recent development.&amp;nbsp; I tried defrag etc but not help.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;A class=&quot;&quot; name=pegasus&gt;&lt;/A&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 13.5pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;Pegasus Email&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt; &lt;?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = &quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office&quot; /&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;Pegasus email has several places where a reference to a decommissioned server might be found. &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;OL type=1&gt; &lt;LI class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;First, within the Windows shortcut itself there may be references to the decommissioned server. &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/LI&gt;&lt;/OL&gt; &lt;P style=&quot;MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in&quot;&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;U&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;Corrective Action&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/U&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;: Delete the current Pegasus icon and remap it to the desktop again. This will correct any incorrect references within the old Pegasus icon.&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;OL type=1 start=2&gt; &lt;LI class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;Second, with the user&#039;s PMAIL subdirectory there is a configuration file called STATE.PMJ. If you open this file up with Notepad you may find a section labeled [QMAN] that may look like this: &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/LI&gt;&lt;/OL&gt; &lt;P&gt; &lt;TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style=&quot;MARGIN: auto auto auto 0.5in; WIDTH: 456pt; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt&quot; cellPadding=0 width=608 border=1 class=&quot;MsoNormalTable&quot;&gt; &lt;TBODY&gt; &lt;TR style=&quot;mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes&quot;&gt; &lt;TD class=&quot;&quot; style=&quot;BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent&quot;&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;... [QMAN] &lt;B&gt;Queue\\ASDEAN\DATA01\Home\asdev\johndoe\PMAIL=-4,-23,804,485 &lt;/B&gt; Queue\\AAS102\HOME\asdev\johndoe\PMAIL=15,24,507,355 ... &lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt;&lt;/TD&gt;&lt;/TR&gt;&lt;/TBODY&gt;&lt;/TABLE&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;OL type=1 start=3&gt; &lt;LI class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;Third, also in the PMAIL subdirectory in the user&#039;s home directory, the primary configuration file, PMAIL.INI, can contain references to servers. To fix this, exit Pmail, and edit or delete the PMAIL.INI file. &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/LI&gt;&lt;/OL&gt; &lt;P style=&quot;MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in&quot;&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;U&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;Corrective Action&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/U&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;: Deleting the PMAIL.INI file can clean up a number of problems, but the action will necessitate reconfiguring several settings for the user. &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;OL type=1 start=4&gt; &lt;LI class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in&quot;&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;Fourth, make sure there are no absent printers listed in the Pegasus printers list (see &lt;B&gt;File - Print&lt;/B&gt; in Pegasus). &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/LI&gt;&lt;/OL&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;U&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;Corrective Action&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/U&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;SPAN style=&quot;FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana&quot;&gt;: Delete the line that has a reference to the decommissioned server.&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="GBSimon"]

My wifes laptop has a very similar problem in that in takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes to open any email.  She is running the program on her system alone using Windows XP.  Again, this is a recent development.  I tried defrag etc but not help. 

[/quote]

Most likely there is no printer installed on the laptop or the laptop points to a printer that is not available. To solve install a generic printer and set it as default. That might solve the problem.

[quote user=&quot;GBSimon&quot;] &lt;p&gt;My wifes laptop has a very similar problem in that in takes&amp;nbsp;30 seconds to 2 minutes to open any email.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;She is&amp;nbsp;running the program on her system alone using Windows XP.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;Again, this is a recent development.&amp;nbsp; I tried defrag etc but not help.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Most likely there is no printer installed on the laptop or the laptop points to a printer that is not available. To solve install a generic printer and set it as default. That might solve the problem.&lt;/p&gt;

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

This may not be relevent but, if there are a lot of emails in the new mail folder and you have spam checking in place it could be the spam filter which is checking all the mails in the new mail folder?
Moving all my mail out of my new mail box and into differerent folders cured this for me
Lynn

&lt;p&gt;This may not be relevent but, if there are a lot of emails in the new mail folder and you have spam checking in place it could be the spam filter which is checking all the mails in the new mail folder? Moving all my mail out of my new mail box and into differerent folders cured this for me Lynn &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft