Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Feature requests for the address book

[quote user="David Harris"]

1 - 4 are all already well taken care of in the new format - and much more. I really don't think you're going to be disappointed. [;)]

(5) is a good idea I hadn't thought of, but which should be easy.

Cheers!

-- David --

[/quote]

Hi David.

(5) sounds definitely like a good idea, as well as the other points brought forward by GinHead.

I have another question though: will the address book be compatible with other existing address book formats. I think that we should be able to easily import and export data in the addressbook without resorting to a 3rd party. I need to be able to move this data between Pegasus and Kmail on my Linux system as well as wemail account. I already easily do it between Kmail, Gmail and Yahoo! Mail but right now the Pegasus address book is empty as it's too cumbersome to imprt address.

Cheers!
[quote user="David Harris"]<P>1 - 4 are all already well taken care of in the new format - and much more. I really don't think you're going to be disappointed. [;)] (5) is a good idea I hadn't thought of, but which should be easy. Cheers! -- David -- </P>[/quote] Hi David. (5) sounds definitely like a good idea, as well as the other points brought forward by GinHead. I have another question though: will the address book be compatible with other existing address book formats. I think that we should be able to easily import <STRONG>and</STRONG> export data in the addressbook without resorting to a 3rd party. I need to be able to move this data between Pegasus and Kmail on my Linux system as well as wemail account. I already easily do it between Kmail, Gmail and Yahoo! Mail but right now the Pegasus address book is empty as it's too cumbersome to imprt address. Cheers!

Hi !

Well, here are small requests concerning the address book : (1) allow more characters for the fields "Name" and "Key" (I hope the existence of the "Key" field will not disappear because it proved extremely useful), (2) allow unlimited characters for the field "Notes" (or "Comments"), (3) possibility to add multiple emails addresses by adding an "Add email address" button with the ability to select a default one, (4) possibility to choose which columns will appear in the area (below the one called "Description") where all the contacts appear, (5) at the bottom of the area mentioned in (4), add a tabbed line where each tab will have a letter of the alphabet which will allow us to "print" only those contacts that start with the chosen letter (of course since there is to way to classify, either by the "Name" field or the "Key", there should be an option to choose which one you want).

I hope some of them will be accepted.

Thanks !

Ginhead.

<p>Hi !</p><p> Well, here are small requests concerning the address book : (1) allow more characters for the fields "Name" and "Key" (I hope the existence of the "Key" field will not disappear because it proved extremely useful), (2) allow unlimited characters for the field "Notes" (or "Comments"), (3) possibility to add multiple emails addresses by adding an "Add email address" button with the ability to select a default one, (4) possibility to choose which columns will appear in the area (below the one called "Description") where all the contacts appear, (5) at the bottom of the area mentioned in (4), add a tabbed line where each tab will have a letter of the alphabet which will allow us to "print" only those contacts that start with the chosen letter (of course since there is to way to classify, either by the "Name" field or the "Key", there should be an option to choose which one you want).</p><p>I hope some of them will be accepted.</p><p>Thanks !</p><p>Ginhead.  </p>

Ginhead wrote:

(I hope the existence of the "Key" field will not disappear because it proved extremely useful), (2) allow unlimited characters for the field "Notes" (or "Comments"), (3) possibility to add multiple emails addresses by adding an "Add email address" button with the ability to select a default one,

Arthur here:

I second those requests!

Arthur

Ginhead wrote: <p> (I hope the existence of the "Key" field will not disappear because it proved extremely useful), (2) allow unlimited characters for the field "Notes" (or "Comments"), (3) possibility to add multiple emails addresses by adding an "Add email address" button with the ability to select a default one, </p><p>Arthur here:</p><p> I second those requests!</p><p>  Arthur</p><p>  </p>

1 - 4 are all already well taken care of in the new format - and much more. I really don't think you're going to be disappointed. [;)]

(5) is a good idea I hadn't thought of, but which should be easy.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>1 - 4 are all already well taken care of in the new format - and much more. I really don't think you're going to be disappointed. [;)] (5) is a good idea I hadn't thought of, but which should be easy. Cheers! -- David -- </p>

Hi !

That is great news ! However, I am a little afraid that the "Key" field will be eliminated, so is it going to be the case ? Besides that, since we are talking about some enhancements of the address book, it would be nice to be able to add extra fields and name them as we want for contacts. For instance, I can add an extra field and name it "Preferred email client". It would also be nice if we could choose how many of these fields we want, i.e. the ability to discard all of them except the "Name", "Key" and "Email" fields (for the latter, if the suggestion of adding multiple email addresses is accepted, then it will not be a field anymore but an area similar to the one we have when entering POP3 informations). This way, the user could customize its address book to a far greater extent than in any other email client, and I think it is nice because not everyone organizes data in the same way. But maybe you thought about all that stuff already [;)].

In your reply you did not say anything about (1) and (2), does this mean that it is not possible or (on the contrary) that it is so evident that it will be part of the next version ?

Thanks !

Ginhead.

<p>Hi !</p><p>That is great news ! However, I am a little afraid that the "Key" field will be eliminated, so is it going to be the case ? Besides that, since we are talking about some enhancements of the address book, it would be nice to be able to add extra fields and name them as we want for contacts. For instance, I can add an extra field and name it "Preferred email client". It would also be nice if we could choose how many of these fields we want, i.e. the ability to discard all of them except the "Name", "Key" and "Email" fields (for the latter, if the suggestion of adding multiple email addresses is accepted, then it will not be a field anymore but an area similar to the one we have when entering POP3 informations). This way, the user could customize its address book to a far greater extent than in any other email client, and I think it is nice because not everyone organizes data in the same way. But maybe you thought about all that stuff already [;)].</p><p>In your reply you did not say anything about (1) and (2), does this mean that it is not possible or (on the contrary) that it is so evident that it will be part of the next version ?</p><p>Thanks !</p><p>Ginhead.</p>

[quote user="Ginhead"]However, I am a little afraid that the "Key" field will be eliminated[/quote]

Don't be. Its name will change (to "Sort as" or something similar), but the effect will be the same.

[quote user="Ginhead"]it would be nice to be able to add extra fields and name them as we want for contacts.[/quote]

Already on the list - although it may not make it into the first cut. But don't be perturbed by that - the file format is inherently extendable, so it will be possible to add this (or any other feature) in future without needing any conversion of any kind - existing data can be extended indefinitely in place.

[quote user="Ginhead"]It would also be nice if we could choose how many of these fields we want, i.e. the ability to discard all of them except the "Name", "Key" and "Email" fields[/quote]

You'll be able to add and delete your own fields, but you won't be able to modify the layout of the contact editor to delete standard fields. It *may* be possible for developers to do this via extensions, but I haven't decided that yet.

[quote user="Ginhead"]In your reply you did not say anything about (1) and (2), does this mean that it is not possible or (on the contrary) that it is so evident that it will be part of the next version ?[/quote]

?? I said that points 1 to 4 were all already covered.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="Ginhead"]However, I am a little afraid that the "Key" field will be eliminated[/quote] Don't be. Its name will change (to "Sort as" or something similar), but the effect will be the same. [quote user="Ginhead"]it would be nice to be able to add extra fields and name them as we want for contacts.[/quote] Already on the list - although it may not make it into the first cut. But don't be perturbed by that - the file format is inherently extendable, so it will be possible to add this (or any other feature) in future without needing any conversion of any kind - existing data can be extended indefinitely in place. [quote user="Ginhead"]It would also be nice if we could choose how many of these fields we want, i.e. the ability to discard all of them except the "Name", "Key" and "Email" fields[/quote] You'll be able to add and delete your own fields, but you won't be able to modify the layout of the contact editor to delete standard fields. It *may* be possible for developers to do this via extensions, but I haven't decided that yet. [quote user="Ginhead"]In your reply you did not say anything about (1) and (2), does this mean that it is not possible or (on the contrary) that it is so evident that it will be part of the next version ?[/quote] ?? I said that points 1 to 4 were all already covered. Cheers! -- David --

Hi !

[quote user="David Harris"]

?? I said that points 1 to 4 were all already covered.

[/quote] 

Sorry, I did not see the "1" in your first reply. Happy coding !

Bye !

Ginhead.

<p>Hi !</p><p>[quote user="David Harris"]</p><p> ?? I said that points 1 to 4 were all already covered. </p><p>[/quote] </p><p>Sorry, I did not see the "1" in your first reply. Happy coding !</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead.  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft