Pegasus Mail Suggestions
WISHLIST - Mimic File Explorer Behaviour

I use ctl-x frequently.  Please don't eliminate it!

As far as quickly navigating to a given folder, the folder window automatically has this built in, doesn't it?  If I have 4000 folders and only one of them starts with a "z", if I type a "z" while in the folder window, the focus immediately moves to that one folder.

It works on multiple characters, too, so if I want to move to the "music" folder, I start typing the word "music" and the focus will be moved to the "music" folder long before I've finished the word.

But, while we are in the process of asking for improvements..... the folder search function seems to ignore anything other than regular characters.  Spaces, exclamation points, and other valid characters within the name of the folder don't seem to cause the focus to shift.  Of course, I could just be a few versions behind (I'm still on 3.12c), but I'd upgrade in a second if folder search allows non-regular characters. 

<p>I use ctl-x frequently.  Please don't eliminate it!</p><p>As far as quickly navigating to a given folder, the folder window automatically has this built in, doesn't it?  If I have 4000 folders and only one of them starts with a "z", if I type a "z" while in the folder window, the focus immediately moves to that one folder.</p><p>  It works on multiple characters, too, so if I want to move to the "music" folder, I start typing the word "music" and the focus will be moved to the "music" folder long before I've finished the word.</p><p>  But, while we are in the process of asking for improvements..... the folder search function seems to ignore anything other than regular characters.  Spaces, exclamation points, and other valid characters within the name of the folder don't seem to cause the focus to shift.  Of course, I could just be a few versions behind (I'm still on 3.12c), but I'd upgrade in a second if folder search allows non-regular characters. </p><p> </p>

I've been a great fan of Pegasus since year dot and use it exclusively, however I would really appreciate a change in the behaviour of Folder Selection. To be more specific, I have many (read that as several hundred Folders) 80% would be closed at any given time . I work my way through the New Mail Folder  allocating and moving emails to specific folders. However when clicking on the (+) of a target Folder to open it and display sub folders, focus is lost from the New Mail Folder and requires scrolling all the way back to the top, (sometimes many screenlengths) to regain focus of the new mail folder to effect selection and moving of files.

The behaviour in File Explorer is logical in that focus is retained on the selected directory even when another directory is expanded. Possible consideration?

<p>    I've been a great fan of Pegasus since year dot and use it exclusively, however I would really appreciate a change in the behaviour of Folder Selection. To be more specific, I have many (read that as several hundred Folders) 80% would be closed at any given time . I work my way through the New Mail Folder  allocating and moving emails to specific folders. However when clicking on the (+) of a target Folder to open it and display sub folders, focus is lost from the New Mail Folder and requires scrolling all the way back to the top, (sometimes many screenlengths) to regain focus of the new mail folder to effect selection and moving of files.</p><p>  The behaviour in File Explorer is logical in that focus is retained on the selected directory even when another directory is expanded. Possible consideration?   </p>

No promises, but it sounds fair and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers!

-- David --

No promises, but it sounds fair and I'll see what I can do. Cheers! -- David --

Thanks for the consideration David, appreciate it and a great product.

BTW, the new forum is fantastic and I hope to contribute to disussion and be of assistance when time and my expertise permits. 

<p>Thanks for the consideration David, appreciate it and a great product.</p><p>  BTW, the new forum is fantastic and I hope to contribute to disussion and be of assistance when time and my expertise permits. </p>

Hi !

What about a button "Go to the X" where is the folder you want to reach quickly, in your case "New Mail Folder" ? However, it is maybe the case that more that one folder has to focused on, so maybe one can use keyboards shortcuts, like in Emacs. Indeed, you can add some sort of minibuffer as a small command line at the bottom of the area where all the folders and their mailboxes are listed. Then you can propose to the user to associate to some folders a shortcut in the following way : "C-x 1" that has to be typed in the minibuffer will send you to the folder you associated with this combination, and the second one will be "C-x 2", and so on till "C-x K". Of course K being a natural number, the user can choose how many such "favorite folders" she wants to "tag". So to be very clear, if the first favorite folder is the "New Mail Folder", then by typing "M-x C-x 1" (or any other and maybe more clever combinations, I just suggested these as an example) you return to the "New Mail Folder". Also this minibuffer can also serve to alternative uses. This I think would be something unique that no other email client possess, and could prove useful once one gets used to it. What do you think ?

Bye !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>What about a button "Go to the X" where is the folder you want to reach quickly, in your case "New Mail Folder" ? However, it is maybe the case that more that one folder has to focused on, so maybe one can use keyboards shortcuts, like in Emacs. Indeed, you can add some sort of minibuffer as a small command line at the bottom of the area where all the folders and their mailboxes are listed. Then you can propose to the user to associate to some folders a shortcut in the following way : "C-x 1" that has to be typed in the minibuffer will send you to the folder you associated with this combination, and the second one will be "C-x 2", and so on till "C-x K". Of course K being a natural number, the user can choose how many such "favorite folders" she wants to "tag". So to be very clear, if the first favorite folder is the "New Mail Folder", then by typing "M-x C-x 1" (or any other and maybe more clever combinations, I just suggested these as an example) you return to the "New Mail Folder". Also this minibuffer can also serve to alternative uses. This I think would be something unique that no other email client possess, and could prove useful once one gets used to it. What do you think ?</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

[quote user="Ginhead"]

What about a button "Go to the X" where is the folder you want to reach quickly

[/quote]

Pegasus Mail has had this for more than a decade. When the folder list has focus (i.e, is the active window), pressing Ctrl+1 through to Ctrl+6 will open the quick-folder associated with that action. See Folders|Quick open when the folder window has focus. I suspect this is not that widely-used because the same keystrokes actually invoke a specific action when any other window has focus - the open action only occurs when the folder list has focus.

Trying to make this work any other way (i.e, so that you can press a keystroke to open a folder no matter what window is currently active) hits the problem that I have basically run out of keystrokes. There just aren't very many unused keystrokes left, and I'm not willing to go down the multiple-keystroke path for things (it's too complicated).

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="Ginhead"]<p>What about a button "Go to the X" where is the folder you want to reach quickly</p>[/quote] Pegasus Mail has had this for more than a decade. When the folder list has focus (i.e, is the active window), pressing Ctrl+1 through to Ctrl+6 will open the quick-folder associated with that action. See Folders|Quick open when the folder window has focus. I suspect this is not that widely-used because the same keystrokes actually invoke a specific action when any other window has focus - the open action only occurs when the folder list has focus. Trying to make this work any other way (i.e, so that you can press a keystroke to open a folder no matter what window is currently active) hits the problem that I have basically run out of keystrokes. There just aren't very many unused keystrokes left, and I'm not willing to go down the multiple-keystroke path for things (it's too complicated). Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft