Community Discussions and Support
UTF-7 encoded folder names in IMAP LIST output

[quote user="tokul"]

If you think that issue is solved in some beta version, could you give me link to that beta? 

[/quote]

I've now looked back on the code I used to build v4.01c, and it's possible that I used the wrong base code set. It may be that the code I used to build v4.01c had an early prototype of the modified UTF-7 code, where it shouldn't have had anything at all. Unfortunately, the v4.01c build was done in a bit of a hurry (because it was addressing a reasonably serious security vulnerability), so I can't be totally sure about this.

Certainly the modifed UTF-7 code appears to be working fine in v4.5, at least based on reports from the test team.

As Peter has said, betas are currently not made available publicly, although I'm considering changing that: I may well go down a path where selected relatively stable betas will be made available to the public on the basis that they are undocumented and unsupported. Unfortunately, v4.5 is now so late along in the process that it's actually not easy for me to make a beta available to you, or I would consider doing so. Leave it with me and if I get to a point where I think there's something I can offer you, I'll get in touch.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="tokul"]<p>If you think that issue is solved in some beta version, could you give me link to that beta? </p>[/quote] I've now looked back on the code I used to build v4.01c, and it's possible that I used the wrong base code set. It may be that the code I used to build v4.01c had an early prototype of the modified UTF-7 code, where it shouldn't have had anything at all. Unfortunately, the v4.01c build was done in a bit of a hurry (because it was addressing a reasonably serious security vulnerability), so I can't be totally sure about this. Certainly the modifed UTF-7 code appears to be working fine in v4.5, at least based on reports from the test team. As Peter has said, betas are currently not made available publicly, although I'm considering changing that: I may well go down a path where selected relatively stable betas will be made available to the public on the basis that they are undocumented and unsupported. Unfortunately, v4.5 is now so late along in the process that it's actually not easy for me to make a beta available to you, or I would consider doing so. Leave it with me and if I get to a point where I think there's something I can offer you, I'll get in touch. Cheers! -- David --

Mercury IMAP server (tested 4.01c) outputs folders in UTF-7 character set, when IMAP rfc (5.1.3 chapter) says that command should use modified UTF-7

For example:

<small><b>Request:</b></small>
A004 LSUB "" "*"

<small><b>Response:</b></small>
* LSUB (\NoInferiors) "/" Sent

* LSUB (\NoInferiors) "/" Trash

* LSUB (\NoInferiors) "/" Drafts

* LSUB (\NoSelect \NoInferiors) "/" &BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg-

LSUB completed.

<small><b>Request:</b></small>
A005 LIST "*" "*"

<small><b>Response:</b></small>
* LIST (\NoInferiors) "/" INBOX

* LIST (\NoInferiors) "/" +BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg-

* LIST (\NoInferiors) "/" Drafts

* LIST (\NoInferiors) "/" Sent

* LIST (\NoInferiors) "/" Trash

LIST completed.

&lt;p&gt;Mercury IMAP server (tested 4.01c) outputs folders in UTF-7 character set, when IMAP rfc (5.1.3 chapter) says that command should use modified UTF-7 &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;For example:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;table bgcolor=&quot;#ffffff&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; width=&quot;95%&quot;&gt;&lt;tbody&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#0000cc&quot;&gt;&lt;small&gt;&lt;b&gt;Request:&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/small&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt; &lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;A004 LSUB &quot;&quot; &quot;*&quot; &lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#0000cc&quot;&gt;&lt;small&gt;&lt;b&gt;Response:&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/small&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt; &lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;* LSUB (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; Sent * LSUB (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; Trash * LSUB (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; Drafts * LSUB (\NoSelect \NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; &amp;amp;BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg- LSUB completed.&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/tbody&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;table bgcolor=&quot;#ffffff&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; width=&quot;95%&quot;&gt;&lt;tbody&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#0000cc&quot;&gt;&lt;small&gt;&lt;b&gt;Request:&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/small&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt; &lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;A005 LIST &quot;*&quot; &quot;*&quot; &lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#0000cc&quot;&gt;&lt;small&gt;&lt;b&gt;Response:&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/small&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt; &lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;* LIST (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; INBOX * LIST (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; +BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg- * LIST (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; Drafts * LIST (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; Sent * LIST (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; Trash LIST completed.&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/tbody&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="tokul"]Mercury IMAP server (tested 4.01c) outputs folders in UTF-7 character set, when IMAP rfc (5.1.3 chapter) says that command should use modified UTF-7 [/quote]

Actually, as far as I know, v4.01c doesn't do anything at all - it has no support for extended character sets. This is something we've added for v4.5, and to the best of my knowledge, it's working fine (I've had a number of my international beta testers do extensive work verifying that it goes OK).

I assume that what you're seeing is Mercury/32 v4.01c simply echoing back whatever name you send it as a literal, because it makes no attempt to process the encoding.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user=&quot;tokul&quot;]Mercury IMAP server (tested 4.01c) outputs folders in UTF-7 character set, when IMAP rfc (5.1.3 chapter) says that command should use modified UTF-7 [/quote] Actually, as far as I know, v4.01c doesn&#039;t do anything at all - it has no support for extended character sets. This is something we&#039;ve added for v4.5, and to the best of my knowledge, it&#039;s working fine (I&#039;ve had a number of my international beta testers do extensive work verifying that it goes OK). I assume that what you&#039;re seeing is Mercury/32 v4.01c simply echoing back whatever name you send it as a literal, because it makes no attempt to process the encoding. Cheers! -- David --

* LIST (\NoInferiors) "/" +BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg- 

Line is in UTF7 

* LSUB (\NoSelect \NoInferiors) "/" &BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg-

Line is in UTF7-IMAP. Modified UTF7.

I've used 'CREATE "&BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg-"' command to create this folder. Russian word encoded in UTF7-IMAP.

&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;* LIST (\NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; +BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg-&amp;nbsp; &lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Line is in UTF7&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;* LSUB (\NoSelect \NoInferiors) &quot;/&quot; &amp;amp;BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg-&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Line is in UTF7-IMAP. Modified UTF7.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve used &#039;CREATE &quot;&amp;amp;BD8EPgRABEMEQgRHBDgEOg-&quot;&#039; command to create this folder. Russian word encoded in UTF7-IMAP.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

There is something strange, One minute folders are encoded correctly and one minute later they are broken,

I have session logs, if you need them.

If you think that issue is solved in some beta version, could you give me link to that beta? 

&lt;p&gt;There is something strange, One minute folders are encoded correctly and one minute later they are broken,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;I have session logs, if you need them. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If you think that issue is solved in some beta version, could you give me link to that beta?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft