Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Feature request for the notification of new emails

[quote user="Ginhead"]

My first question is maybe a little stupid, but how do you know when a folder is open or closed ? It is only for trays that we can see if it is open or close, at least for me so far.

Thanks !

Ginhead. 

[/quote]

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  I have been out of town without the puter for several weeks.  Talk about TORTURE!!

Anyway, if you have not found a solution to this yet I hope this will work for you.  On the left side of the main pmail window you have a list of folders, one of which is the "New Mail" folder.  If you have installed the new mail filtering rule (I think you want the expression filter) to be applied when folder is closed you simply double click the "new mail" folder and it will open displaying all the messages within.  Now, when you close it all the "apply when folder is closed" rules will activate.  I think this should work for you or perhaps I am not exactly clear on what you're trying to do.

[quote user="Ginhead"] <P>My first question is maybe a little stupid, but how do you know when a folder is open or closed ? It is only for trays that we can see if it is open or close, at least for me so far.</P> <P>Thanks !</P> <P>Ginhead. </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  I have been out of town without the puter for several weeks.  Talk about TORTURE!!</P> <P>Anyway, if you have not found a solution to this yet I hope this will work for you.  On the left side of the main pmail window you have a list of folders, one of which is the "New Mail" folder.  If you have installed the new mail filtering rule (I think you want the expression filter) to be applied when folder is closed you simply double click the "new mail" folder and it will open displaying all the messages within.  Now, when you close it all the "apply when folder is closed" rules will activate.  I think this should work for you or perhaps I am not exactly clear on what you're trying to do.</P>

Hi !

Well, since there is a new version in preparation, I would like to point out one "flaw" (please, note the quotes) in the notification of new emails. I have a lot of folders and consequently a lot of filter rules (I have tried quite a few other email clients and rather extensively, and I have to admit that in terms of filtering, Pegasus Mail is really the reference (too bad this idea was not patented)). Now suppose I have a rule that says "If the subject contains the word X, then move the message in the folder F(X)". Now, assume further that I minimized Pegasus Mail and that I am waiting a really important email which I am sure will contain the word X, for instance for professional reasons. Now the problem is that I will never know if this email has arrived or not because even if it did, then the notification will not indicate that to me. And here is the reason : it seems that the notification indicates only the new emails of the "New Mail Folder" (this happens when Pegasus is flying in the tray area), but since with my filter rule, the email ends up in F(X) and not in the "New Mail Folder", for Pegasus there is no new emails, thus it forces the user to check up the program regularly making the notification feature almost useless. Therefore, what would be nice is that any new email of any folders should trigger the notification. However, I do not know if this can be done because it seems a bit complicated to check all the folders for emails. But, since I am not the programmer and also that I know almost to nothing in coding, I leave the answer into the expert hands of David and his team.

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>Well, since there is a new version in preparation, I would like to point out one "flaw" (please, note the quotes) in the notification of new emails. I have a lot of folders and consequently a lot of filter rules (I have tried quite a few other email clients and rather extensively, and I have to admit that in terms of filtering, Pegasus Mail is really the reference (too bad this idea was not patented)). Now suppose I have a rule that says "If the subject contains the word X, then move the message in the folder F(X)". Now, assume further that I minimized Pegasus Mail and that I am waiting a really important email which I am sure will contain the word X, for instance for professional reasons. Now the problem is that I will never know if this email has arrived or not because even if it did, then the notification will not indicate that to me. And here is the reason : it seems that the notification indicates only the new emails of the "New Mail Folder" (this happens when Pegasus is flying in the tray area), but since with my filter rule, the email ends up in F(X) and not in the "New Mail Folder", for Pegasus there is no new emails, thus it forces the user to check up the program regularly making the notification feature almost useless. Therefore, what would be nice is that any new email of any folders should trigger the notification. However, I do not know if this can be done because it seems a bit complicated to check all the folders for emails. But, since I am not the programmer and also that I know almost to nothing in coding, I leave the answer into the expert hands of David and his team.</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

You could create a newmail rule that runs a program or draws a graphic. Just put the rule in front of your "move" rule with the the same test condition.

Martin 

<p>You could create a newmail rule that runs a program or draws a graphic. Just put the rule in front of your "move" rule with the the same test condition.</p><p>  Martin </p>

Hi !

Well thank you for this useful information ! It seems Pegasus Mail is filled up with lots of "hidden" features [:)]. However, about the solution you just suggested, I am sorry but can you be more explicit ? I am not a very experienced users in general when it comes to computers, so in particular for Pegasus Mail ? You mention that we can trigger a program, so I guess I could create a pair of rules with the same condition that says "if condition X is satisfied, then activate program Y and move the message to folder Z", is this what you have in mind ? If "Yes", then can you tell me what is the file in the Pegasus Mail directory that allows its icon to move in the tray bar ?

Thanks!

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>Well thank you for this useful information ! It seems Pegasus Mail is filled up with lots of "hidden" features [:)]. However, about the solution you just suggested, I am sorry but can you be more explicit ? I am not a very experienced users in general when it comes to computers, so in particular for Pegasus Mail ? You mention that we can trigger a program, so I guess I could create a pair of rules with the same condition that says "if condition X is satisfied, then activate program Y and move the message to folder Z", is this what you have in mind ? If "Yes", then can you tell me what is the file in the Pegasus Mail directory that allows its icon to move in the tray bar ?</p><p>Thanks!</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

[quote user="Ginhead"]

Hi !

Well, since there is a new version in preparation, I would like to point out one "flaw" (please, note the quotes) in the notification of new emails. I have a lot of folders and consequently a lot of filter rules (I have tried quite a few other email clients and rather extensively, and I have to admit that in terms of filtering, Pegasus Mail is really the reference (too bad this idea was not patented)). Now suppose I have a rule that says "If the subject contains the word X, then move the message in the folder F(X)". Now, assume further that I minimized Pegasus Mail and that I am waiting a really important email which I am sure will contain the word X, for instance for professional reasons. Now the problem is that I will never know if this email has arrived or not because even if it did, then the notification will not indicate that to me. And here is the reason : it seems that the notification indicates only the new emails of the "New Mail Folder" (this happens when Pegasus is flying in the tray area), but since with my filter rule, the email ends up in F(X) and not in the "New Mail Folder", for Pegasus there is no new emails, thus it forces the user to check up the program regularly making the notification feature almost useless. Therefore, what would be nice is that any new email of any folders should trigger the notification. However, I do not know if this can be done because it seems a bit complicated to check all the folders for emails. But, since I am not the programmer and also that I know almost to nothing in coding, I leave the answer into the expert hands of David and his team.

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

[/quote]

I just found out myself that 'New Mial Filtering Rules applied when folder is closed' condition will work on the new mail folder regardless if the email was read or not.  You can then receive the wing flapping notification of new mail, do what you must with it then simply close the folder to apply the folder closed rule to move subject (X) to folder (FX).  No?

This knowledge provided courtesy of Mr. Han van den Bogaerde

[quote user="Ginhead"] <P>Hi !</P> <P>Well, since there is a new version in preparation, I would like to point out one "flaw" (please, note the quotes) in the notification of new emails. I have a lot of folders and consequently a lot of filter rules (I have tried quite a few other email clients and rather extensively, and I have to admit that in terms of filtering, Pegasus Mail is really the reference (too bad this idea was not patented)). Now suppose I have a rule that says "If the subject contains the word X, then move the message in the folder F(X)". Now, assume further that I minimized Pegasus Mail and that I am waiting a really important email which I am sure will contain the word X, for instance for professional reasons. Now the problem is that I will never know if this email has arrived or not because even if it did, then the notification will not indicate that to me. And here is the reason : it seems that the notification indicates only the new emails of the "New Mail Folder" (this happens when Pegasus is flying in the tray area), but since with my filter rule, the email ends up in F(X) and not in the "New Mail Folder", for Pegasus there is no new emails, thus it forces the user to check up the program regularly making the notification feature almost useless. Therefore, what would be nice is that any new email of any folders should trigger the notification. However, I do not know if this can be done because it seems a bit complicated to check all the folders for emails. But, since I am not the programmer and also that I know almost to nothing in coding, I leave the answer into the expert hands of David and his team.</P> <P>Cheers !</P> <P>Ginhead. </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>I just found out myself that 'New Mial Filtering Rules applied when folder is closed' condition will work on the new mail folder regardless if the email was read or not.  You can then receive the wing flapping notification of new mail, do what you must with it then simply close the folder to apply the folder closed rule to move subject (X) to folder (FX).  No?</P> <P>This knowledge provided courtesy of Mr. Han van den Bogaerde </P>

I think you have understood the suggestion.  

Writing a program that minimises itself to the Systray is not that difficult, but the conditions would need to be understood. For instance, watching for sender X (the boss), when it is detected, you run a program AlertMe. It places itself in the Systray area on the right bottom of the screen. Now what happens when X sends another message?  In Windows running multiple copies of a program is allowed.  So if your boss (X)  really gets finger happy, your Systray fills up with his little icon.  One way to solve this would be to run a traffic light icon permanently in the Systray area, and update it with detected arrivals.

Martin 

<p>I think you have understood the suggestion.   </p><p>Writing a program that minimises itself to the Systray is not that difficult, but the conditions would need to be understood. For instance, watching for sender X (the boss), when it is detected, you run a program AlertMe. It places itself in the Systray area on the right bottom of the screen. Now what happens when X sends another message?  In Windows running multiple copies of a program is allowed.  So if your boss (X)  really gets finger happy, your Systray fills up with his little icon.  One way to solve this would be to run a traffic light icon permanently in the Systray area, and update it with detected arrivals. </p><p> </p><p>Martin </p>

Hi !

This has become a little complicated for me, since you guys are talking about writing down a notification program. Does this means that the suggestion "If the message contains the word X, then trigger the wing flapping notification", noted (*) and which could be done by a filter rule, is not possible ? Also, I have about 200 filter rules, so if I have to associate to each one of them an extra one of kind (*), then I will have 400 rules, isn't that too much ? That being said, maybe the best solution is to use an external notification program, but the less programs I have the better it is, so if this could be done from within Pegasus itself, that would be nice, as an extension for instance.

Bye !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>This has become a little complicated for me, since you guys are talking about writing down a notification program. Does this means that the suggestion "If the message contains the word X, then trigger the wing flapping notification", noted (*) and which could be done by a filter rule, is not possible ? Also, I have about 200 filter rules, so if I have to associate to each one of them an extra one of kind (*), then I will have 400 rules, isn't that too much ? That being said, maybe the best solution is to use an external notification program, but the less programs I have the better it is, so if this could be done from within Pegasus itself, that would be nice, as an extension for instance.</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

[quote user="Dirty Harry"]

You can then receive the wing flapping notification of new mail, do

what you must with it then simply close the folder to apply the folder

closed rule to move subject (X) to folder (FX).  No?

[/quote] 

I am not sure I understand correctly, so let me expose what I understood from your suggestion. Consider the "New Emails Folder" where all incoming emails are received. Now I do not associate any set of rules when it is open but only one when it is closed. then the new emails come in the "New Emails Folder" and the wing flapping notification is activated, then I read them, for instance, and then close the folder which will then trigger the set of rules associated to its closing, and which will move my emails accordingly. My first question is maybe a little stupid, but how do you know when a folder is open or closed ? It is only for trays that we can see if it is open or close, at least for me so far.

Thanks !

Ginhead. 

<p>[quote user="Dirty Harry"]</p><p>You can then receive the wing flapping notification of new mail, do what you must with it then simply close the folder to apply the folder closed rule to move subject (X) to folder (FX).  No?</p><p>[/quote] </p><p>I am not sure I understand correctly, so let me expose what I understood from your suggestion. Consider the "New Emails Folder" where all incoming emails are received. Now I do not associate any set of rules when it is open but only one when it is closed. then the new emails come in the "New Emails Folder" and the wing flapping notification is activated, then I read them, for instance, and then close the folder which will then trigger the set of rules associated to its closing, and which will move my emails accordingly. My first question is maybe a little stupid, but how do you know when a folder is open or closed ? It is only for trays that we can see if it is open or close, at least for me so far.</p><p>Thanks !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft