Community Discussions and Support
Restricting size of mailbox

Then are you going to restore the file from tape / backup when the user complains?

Not a good thing.

Best is to educate the users.

Should be easy enough to run a script to check the size of the mailstore and give a warning at 75% of max. When at 95% lock the user out. This is mean, but after one or two times they will comply.

Perl, Python or even vbscript should be able to handle this.

<P>Then are you going to restore the file from tape / backup when the user complains?</P><P>Not a good thing.</P><P> </P><P>Best is to educate the users.</P><P>Should be easy enough to run a script to check the size of the mailstore and give a warning at 75% of max. When at 95% lock the user out. This is mean, but after one or two times they will comply.</P><P> </P><P>Perl, Python or even vbscript should be able to handle this.</P>

Is there a way to restrict the size of the mailbox to keep users from saving every email!

thanks

Donna

<P>Is there a way to restrict the size of the mailbox to keep users from saving every email!</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>thanks</P> <P>Donna</P>

It's not available through Pegasus Mail (PM), but it may be available through you Network OS.  However, PM will not fail gracefully if it suddenly runs out of room, so be careful if you go down that route.

If you want a 'softer' approach to limiting users' storage, there are utilities around the give a total by user of Messages and Bytes, which you could use to gently prod (or even name and shame) the profligate savers.

<p>It's not available through Pegasus Mail (PM), but it may be available through you Network OS.  However, PM will not fail gracefully if it suddenly runs out of room, so be careful if you go down that route.</p><p>If you want a 'softer' approach to limiting users' storage, there are utilities around the give a total by user of Messages and Bytes, which you could use to gently prod (or even name and shame) the profligate savers.</p><p> </p><p>  </p>

A script that checks the size, then just deletes the largest file if it is over is my preferred approach [6], but maybe that's just me....

A script that checks the size, then just deletes the largest file if it is over is my preferred approach [6], but maybe that's just me....
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft