Community Discussions and Support
Different responses to open relay test

I've been using the open relay test tool at http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
to test my Mercury server.

If I rely on the Relaying control checkboxes on the Connection control tab
of the SMPT server configuration dialog, I get a response like this:

<<< 220 my_mercury_server ESMTP server ready.
>>> HELO www.abuse.net
<<< 250 my_mercury_server Hello, www.abuse.net.

Relay test 1
>>> RSET
<<< 250 Command processed OK.
>>> MAIL FROM:<spamtest@abuse.net>
<<< 250 Sender OK - send RCPTs.
>>> RCPT TO:<securitytest@abuse.net>
<<< 553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication.

Relay test 2
>>> RSET
>>> MAIL FROM:<spamtest>
<<< 553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication.

and so on for several other variations.

Alternatively, if I define transaction level filtering rules
that allow mail to domains I host, but reject all else:

R, "*@mydomain.com*", X
R, "*@myotherdomain.net*", X
R, "*", R, "554 We do not relay non local mail"

then the response I get is quite different:

<<< 220 my_mercury_server ESMTP server ready.
>>> HELO www.abuse.net
<<< 250 my_mercury_server Hello, www.abuse.net.

Relay test 1
>>> RSET
>>> MAIL FROM:<spamtest@abuse.net>
<<< 554 We do not relay non local mail

Relay test 2
>>> RSET
<<< 554 Outcast connection - only the QUIT command will be accepted.

Now, it's not that I'm concerned about being polite to spammers, but is
one response better than the other?

Regards,
Richard

&lt;P&gt;I&#039;ve been using the open relay test tool at &lt;A href=&quot;http://www.abuse.net/relay.html&quot;&gt;http://www.abuse.net/relay.html&lt;/A&gt; to test my Mercury server.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;If I rely on the Relaying control checkboxes on the Connection control tab of the SMPT server configuration dialog, I get a response like this:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 220 my_mercury_server ESMTP server ready. &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; HELO &lt;A href=&quot;http://www.abuse.net/&quot;&gt;www.abuse.net&lt;/A&gt; &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 my_mercury_server Hello, &lt;A href=&quot;http://www.abuse.net/&quot;&gt;www.abuse.net&lt;/A&gt;.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt; Relay test 1 &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; RSET &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Command processed OK. &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:spamtest@abuse.net&quot;&gt;spamtest@abuse.net&lt;/A&gt;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Sender OK - send RCPTs. &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; RCPT TO:&amp;lt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:securitytest@abuse.net&quot;&gt;securitytest@abuse.net&lt;/A&gt;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Relay test 2 &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; RSET &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Command processed OK. &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;spamtest&amp;gt; &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Sender OK - send RCPTs. &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; RCPT TO:&amp;lt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:securitytest@abuse.net&quot;&gt;securitytest@abuse.net&lt;/A&gt;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;and so on for several other variations.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Alternatively, if I define transaction level filtering rules that allow mail to domains I host, but reject all else:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;R, &quot;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:*@mydomain.com&quot;&gt;*@mydomain.com&lt;/A&gt;*&quot;, X R, &quot;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:*@myotherdomain.net&quot;&gt;*@myotherdomain.net&lt;/A&gt;*&quot;, X R, &quot;*&quot;, R, &quot;554 We do not relay non local mail&quot;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;then the response I get is quite different:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 220 my_mercury_server ESMTP server ready. &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; HELO &lt;A href=&quot;http://www.abuse.net/&quot;&gt;www.abuse.net&lt;/A&gt; &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 my_mercury_server Hello, &lt;A href=&quot;http://www.abuse.net/&quot;&gt;www.abuse.net&lt;/A&gt;.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt; Relay test 1 &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; RSET &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Command processed OK. &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:spamtest@abuse.net&quot;&gt;spamtest@abuse.net&lt;/A&gt;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Sender OK - send RCPTs. &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; RCPT TO:&amp;lt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:securitytest@abuse.net&quot;&gt;securitytest@abuse.net&lt;/A&gt;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 554 We do not relay non local mail&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Relay test 2 &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; RSET &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 554 Outcast connection - only the QUIT command will be accepted.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Now, it&#039;s not that I&#039;m concerned about being polite to spammers, but is one response better than the other? &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Regards, Richard &lt;/P&gt;

I'd say a 553 message is better in this case since this is a defined message. 554 is a response you form yourself, and if a standard message exists - go with that.

I&#039;d say a 553 message is better in this case since this is a defined message. 554 is a response you form yourself, and if a standard message exists - go with that.

[quote user="Richard"]... is one response better than the other?[/quote]

Makes no difference in my book.

The important thing is that you have given a 500-style response (which is a permanent failure), and ensured that you do not relay. 

(Personally I would use the built-in relaying controls, as they are easier to maintain if you need to change domains etc.)

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Richard&quot;]... is one response better than the other?[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Makes no difference in my book.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The important thing is that you have given a 500-style response (which is a permanent failure), and ensured that you do not relay.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;(Personally I would use the built-in relaying controls, as they are easier to maintain if you need to change domains etc.) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Peter & Paul, thank you for your help. 

Do you know what it means by an 'Outcast connection' ?

I assume there is still a TCP connection, otherwise the sender wouldn't still have the option of sending a QUIT.

&lt;P&gt;Peter&amp;nbsp;&amp;amp; Paul, thank you for your help.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Do you know what it means by an &#039;Outcast connection&#039; ?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I assume there is still a TCP connection, otherwise the sender wouldn&#039;t still have the option of sending a QUIT.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

An "outcast" connection is one that has been marked as bad internally. The only command that Mercury will accept from a connection in the "outcast" state is "QUIT" - no mail delivery is possible. A connection can only become outcast through either a transaction filtering rule or a compliance failure.

In v4.5, the word "outcast" has changed to "shunned" to indicate more forcefully that we don't like the connection. [;)]

Cheers!

-- David --

An &quot;outcast&quot; connection is one that has been marked as bad internally. The only command that Mercury will accept from a connection in the &quot;outcast&quot; state is &quot;QUIT&quot; - no mail delivery is possible. A connection can only become outcast through either a transaction filtering rule or a compliance failure. In v4.5, the word &quot;outcast&quot; has changed to &quot;shunned&quot; to indicate more forcefully that we don&#039;t like the connection. [;)] Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft