Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Pegasus mail crashes on network drive

I understand that Pegasus mail is not loaded all inside memory.

But pleaase consider situation, when you have pegasus mail installed locally and you have remote mailbox.

I do not remember other application that silly exits with general protection fault during network unplug. May be that the crashing place might be located and there might be displayed some message box that asks user abort application/retry or something like this.

Every defined way how application finishes is much more better than GPF.

Without source code (and even with it) it is difficult to say more.

Anyway it is practically impossible to have network without faults. Somebody reconnects cables in a rack, somebody kicks to a cable etc .... First thing that I am noting is Pmail's GPF ..

<p>I understand that Pegasus mail is not loaded all inside memory. </p><p>But pleaase consider situation, when you have pegasus mail installed locally and you have remote mailbox. </p><p>I do not remember other application that silly exits with general protection fault during network unplug. May be that the crashing place might be located and there might be displayed some message box that asks user abort application/retry or something like this.</p><p>Every defined way how application finishes is much more better than GPF.</p><p>Without source code (and even with it) it is difficult to say more.</p><p> </p><p>Anyway it is practically impossible to have network without faults. Somebody reconnects cables in a rack, somebody kicks to a cable etc .... First thing that I am noting is Pmail's GPF .. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>  </p><p> </p>

Dears,

Pegasus mail crashes on network drive during a short network outage. It is very convenient to have mail folder on network (Netware) server, you could see your mails from anywhere.

It works fine for many years.

But when you unplug a network cable for a short while, Pegasus mail crashes. I could send you a call stack, when I would have a debugging release (pdb files) it would be better.

It might be nice to fix this issue

Jara

<p>Dears,</p><p>Pegasus mail crashes on network drive during a short network outage. It is very convenient to have mail folder on network (Netware) server, you could see your mails from anywhere.</p><p>It works fine for many years.</p><p> </p><p>But when you unplug a network cable for a short while, Pegasus mail crashes. I could send you a call stack, when I would have a debugging release (pdb files) it would be better.</p><p>It might be nice to fix this issue</p><p>    Jara   </p><p> </p><p>  </p>

Can't fix this one, Pegasus Mail cannot be disconnected from the mail directory and still operate when it tries to access the mailbox.  When it loses it's connections to the folders during a folder access operation it will crash.  Now if you turn off all checking of the new mail folder and any thing else that looks at the mail directory on a regular basis then there will be no problem if the directory is missing for short periods of time.

Can't fix this one, Pegasus Mail cannot be disconnected from the mail directory and still operate when it tries to access the mailbox.  When it loses it's connections to the folders during a folder access operation it will crash.  Now if you turn off all checking of the new mail folder and any thing else that looks at the mail directory on a regular basis then there will be no problem if the directory is missing for short periods of time.

It's actually even a little more complicated than Thomas describes it... When you run Pegasus Mail, not the whole application is necessarily loaded into memory - other parts will be loaded as required. If the network disconnection occurs when Windows is trying to load one of those other parts, it's an instant crash, and there's really nothing that can be done about it.

The best answer here is not to unplug your network cables. (Maybe not a wonderfully helpful suggestion, I know, but accurate nonetheless).

Cheers!

-- David --

It's actually even a little more complicated than Thomas describes it... When you run Pegasus Mail, not the whole application is necessarily loaded into memory - other parts will be loaded as required. If the network disconnection occurs when Windows is trying to load one of those other parts, it's an instant crash, and there's really nothing that can be done about it. The best answer here is not to unplug your network cables. (Maybe not a wonderfully helpful suggestion, I know, but accurate nonetheless). Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft