Community Discussions and Support
How to setup mailing lists for two different domains?

thanks, i had a bit of misconfiguration... in mind: following peter settings i was able to set the ML account, working now.

i already set up regular users for multi domains but ML confused me... now i got it 

let's see what the future will bring...

:)

Marco 

<p>thanks, i had a bit of misconfiguration... in mind: following peter settings i was able to set the ML account, working now.</p><p>i already set up regular users for multi domains but ML confused me... now i got it </p><p>let's see what the future will bring...</p><p>  :)</p><p>  Marco </p><p> </p>

...i never well understood how to setup users for two different domains managed by mercury (eg: sitea.com and siteb.com).

recently i had some ;) success setting up a user@siteb.com adding a "local user" named user_siteb and setting up the client with address "user@siteb.com"

that works. a bit odd, but works. any suggestion welcome...

but how can i set up a ml for the "second" domain??? i tried setting up a mailing list as mailing@siteb.com (fully qualified address) but sending to it i get back an error as "user not known here"...

any hints or links to docs or examples?

thanks, Marco

<p>...i never well understood how to setup users for two different domains managed by mercury (eg: sitea.com and siteb.com). </p><p>recently i had some ;) success setting up a user@siteb.com adding a "local user" named user_siteb and setting up the client with address "user@siteb.com"</p><p>that works. a bit odd, but works. any suggestion welcome... </p><p>but how can i set up a ml for the "second" domain??? i tried setting up a mailing list as mailing@siteb.com (fully qualified address) but sending to it i get back an error as "user not known here"...  </p><p> any hints or links to docs or examples?</p><p>  thanks, Marco  </p>

Your problem is if you want two mailing lists with the same list address but under different domains, as info@siteA.com and info@siteB.com

Do the following to get around this (until Mercury receives proper multi-domain support):
1. Create the 1st list as siteA.info with real address info@siteA.com and other list properties you wish.
2. Create the 2nd list as siteB.info with real address info@siteB.com and other list properties you wish.
3. Create an alias for the 1st list; info@siteA.com ==  siteA.info@siteA.com
4. Create an alias for the 2nd list: info@siteB.com == siteB.info@siteB.com

Thats all there's to it.
// Don't forget to configure the Core | Local domains, with both domain SiteA.com and SiteB.com - without it, Mercury never sees the lists as they are not "local" //

<P>Your problem is if you want two mailing lists with the same list address but under different domains, as <A href="mailto:info@siteA.com" mce_href="mailto:info@siteA.com">info@siteA.com</A> and <A href="mailto:info@siteB.com" mce_href="mailto:info@siteB.com">info@siteB.com</A></P> <P>Do the following to get around this (until Mercury receives proper multi-domain support): 1. Create the 1st list as siteA.info with real address <A href="mailto:info@siteA.com" mce_href="mailto:info@siteA.com">info@siteA.com</A> and other list properties you wish. 2. Create the 2nd list as siteB.info with real address <A href="mailto:info@siteB.com" mce_href="mailto:info@siteB.com">info@siteB.com</A> and other list properties you wish. 3. Create an alias for the 1st list; <A href="mailto:info@siteA.com" mce_href="mailto:info@siteA.com">info@siteA.com</A> ==  <A href="mailto:siteA.info@siteA.com" mce_href="mailto:siteA.info@siteA.com">siteA.info@siteA.com</A> 4. Create an alias for the 2nd list: <A href="mailto:info@siteB.com" mce_href="mailto:info@siteB.com">info@siteB.com</A> == <A href="mailto:siteB.info@siteB.com" mce_href="mailto:siteB.info@siteB.com">siteB.info@siteB.com</A></P> <P>Thats all there's to it. // Don't forget to configure the Core | Local domains, with both domain SiteA.com and SiteB.com - without it, Mercury never sees the lists as they are not "local" //</P>

[quote user="M.ardito"]

...i never well understood how to setup users for two different domains managed by mercury (eg: sitea.com and siteb.com).

[/quote]

To understand this, you have to understand that although Mercury supports an unlimited number of domains, it only supports a single user database. So, any user in your user database will effectively exist in all the domains supported by Mercury. The same is true of your mailing lists.

Now, normally this isn't a problem - until you have two entities with the same name (be they users or lists). Then, as Peter has described, you have to separate them using aliases.

Eventually this will be fixed: it is a short term goal after the release of v4.5 to implement a new personality module for Mercury that will allow multiple user databases, which will mean that each domain can have its own (or a shared) user list separate from all others.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="M.ardito"]<p>...i never well understood how to setup users for two different domains managed by mercury (eg: sitea.com and siteb.com). </p>[/quote] To understand this, you have to understand that although Mercury supports an unlimited number of domains, it only supports a single user database. So, any user in your user database will effectively exist in all the domains supported by Mercury. The same is true of your mailing lists. Now, normally this isn't a problem - until you have two entities with the same name (be they users or lists). Then, as Peter has described, you have to separate them using aliases. Eventually this will be fixed: it is a short term goal after the release of v4.5 to implement a new personality module for Mercury that will allow multiple user databases, which will mean that each domain can have its own (or a shared) user list separate from all others. Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft