Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Improved import/export from other mail clients

May not be relevant - but after 'From' on my outgoing messages and after 'To' on replies the word 'search' now appears.  Don't know how or why!  Would love to be able to rectify error as some of my messages are now being deleted by recipients as a consequence!  Any ideas?

May not be relevant - but after 'From' on my outgoing messages and after 'To' on replies the word 'search' now appears.  Don't know how or why!  Would love to be able to rectify error as some of my messages are now being deleted by recipients as a consequence!  Any ideas?

I have run into this a few times:

• - try to migrate a user from another mail client 
  • used the common .mbx (unix mailbox) format to move the mailboxes to something Pegasus will read
  • - copy the file into the Pegasus mail directory, restart Pegasus
  • - the exported mail box is there
  • message counts are higher than what was exported
  • - open the folder and find a number of messages with blank sender & blank subjects
  • open any the improper emails and find they are snippets from other emails

Now to test I would copy the orginal .mbx file to either:

Mulberry - native support for .mbx, no issues with mail count or emails contained

Becky! - import into the client via builtin tool for import, no problems with emails.

So now I am thinking that it is with the import filter. So I do the same procedure from Pegasus. Create a new folder formatted as Unix mbx. Copya few hundred emails (created last month) to this directory. Shutdown Pegasus, locate and move the UNIX box from the mail directory.

Now import into the above mail clients - bad count and emails are split -- failure.

If I copy the emails to an IMAP mailserver and then download into Pegasus no problem via IMAP account.

This tells me the import/export has problems with some emails. Not sure if it is due to html formatting from whatever client generated. Seems strange that other mail clients can read the .mbx properly but Pegasus fails. If this was improved I think that more people would try and stay with Pegasus.

I have run into this a few times: <UL><LI>- try to migrate a user from another mail client  </LI><LI><BLOCKQUOTE> used the common .mbx (unix mailbox) format to move the mailboxes to something Pegasus will read </BLOCKQUOTE></LI><LI>- copy the file into the Pegasus mail directory, restart Pegasus </LI><LI>- the exported mail box is there </LI><LI><BLOCKQUOTE>message counts are higher than what was exported </BLOCKQUOTE></LI><LI>- open the folder and find a number of messages with blank sender & blank subjects </LI><LI><BLOCKQUOTE>open any the improper emails and find they are snippets from other emails </BLOCKQUOTE></LI></UL> Now to test I would copy the orginal .mbx file to either: Mulberry - native support for .mbx, no issues with mail count or emails contained Becky! - import into the client via builtin tool for import, no problems with emails. So now I am thinking that it is with the import filter. So I do the same procedure from Pegasus. Create a new folder formatted as Unix mbx. Copya few hundred emails (created last month) to this directory. Shutdown Pegasus, locate and move the UNIX box from the mail directory. Now import into the above mail clients - bad count and emails are split -- failure. If I copy the emails to an IMAP mailserver and then download into Pegasus no problem via IMAP account. This tells me the import/export has problems with some emails. Not sure if it is due to html formatting from whatever client generated. Seems strange that other mail clients can read the .mbx properly but Pegasus fails. If this was improved I think that more people would try and stay with Pegasus.

[quote user="aderoy"]open any the improper emails and find they are snippets from other emails[/quote]

Possibly that's where someone has begun a sentence with "From".  For example:

[quote]From there we travelled to Paris ...[/quote]

On importing a mailbox, mail clients can make the mistake of thinking the "From" is in the header and designates a new mail, since headers begin that way -- as in:

[quote]From: John Smith <john.smith@whateverdomain.com>[/quote]

To get around that problem, some mail clients add a control character before any sentence beginning "From". That often used to be a "<" but nowadays is usually a space.
[quote user=&quot;aderoy&quot;]open any the improper emails and find they are snippets from other emails[/quote]&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;BR class=&quot;khtml-block-placeholder&quot;&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;Possibly that&#039;s where someone has begun a sentence with &quot;From&quot;.&nbsp; For example:&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;BR class=&quot;khtml-block-placeholder&quot;&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;[quote]From there we travelled to Paris ...[/quote]&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;BR class=&quot;khtml-block-placeholder&quot;&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;On importing a mailbox, mail clients can make the mistake of thinking the &quot;From&quot; is in the header and designates a new mail, since headers begin that way -- as in:&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;BR class=&quot;khtml-block-placeholder&quot;&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;[quote]From: John Smith &amp;lt;john.smith@whateverdomain.com&amp;gt;[/quote]&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;BR class=&quot;khtml-block-placeholder&quot;&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;To get around that problem, some mail clients add a control character before any sentence beginning &quot;From&quot;. That often used to be a &quot;&amp;lt;&quot; but nowadays is usually a space.&lt;/DIV&gt;

A google search for mbx format will show that there are quite a few standards to choose from!

This has been mentioned before, and as you have discovered, going via an IMAP server is usually the best alternative.

&lt;p&gt;A google search for mbx format will show that there are quite a few standards to choose from!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This has been mentioned before, and as you have discovered, going via an IMAP server is usually the best alternative.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft