Community Discussions and Support
IMAP 4.01c server and Thunderbird 2.0.0 delivery problem

[quote user="roryk"]

What kind of connection are you using to access your IMAP mailbox?  My connection is 384 kbps so it takes a little while to download a 6 MB attachment to my local store and be able to access it.

[/quote]

Practically, I only access my IMAP mailbox from the home network (100 Mbit). I've set up my mail client to not download attachments until I open them.
The problem doesn't exists if I access the mailbox with Pegasus Mail.

[quote user="roryk"]

As for the resources issues, are you seeing errors or performance issues related to the resource utilization?

[/quote]

No, I don't see errors. Everything works except a 100% CPU usage from mercury.exe in windows task manager (for a couple of seconds, depending on the size of the attachement).
Strangely enough, this doesn't happen when I actually open the attachment (and download it from the server).

[quote user="roryk"]<p>What kind of connection are you using to access your IMAP mailbox?  My connection is 384 kbps so it takes a little while to download a 6 MB attachment to my local store and be able to access it.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Practically, I only access my IMAP mailbox from the home network (100 Mbit). I've set up my mail client to not download attachments until I open them. The problem doesn't exists if I access the mailbox with Pegasus Mail. </p><p>[quote user="roryk"] </p><p>As for the resources issues, are you seeing errors or performance issues related to the resource utilization?  </p><p> [/quote]</p><p>No, I don't see errors. Everything works except a 100% CPU usage from mercury.exe in windows task manager (for a couple of seconds, depending on the size of the attachement). Strangely enough, this doesn't happen when I actually open the attachment (and download it from the server).  </p>

Hi all,

from time to time we have a strange problem: When connecting to the IMAP-Server of Mercury/32 the mail client seems to "hang". If I restart my mail-clinet now I eventually get all of the headers of my inbox delivered, but the "hourglass" keeps telling that the server is still delivering "something", I think Thunderbird 2.0.0 is awaiting some kind of response from the server.

Now something strange happens: if I pick several of the lines in my inbox folder (the one on the IMAP-Server) and try to delete them, the subject gets blank, the date converts to 01.01.1970 and MercuryI and Thunderbird get completely out of sync: it seems like the header of the newer mails than this deleted one is now associated with the next message so there is always an offset of one mail between those two. If a move these messages to another folder (either local or on the server), it suddenly has its original header back again - MAGIC.

Second thing that happens after one of these "hangs" : attachments of those mails are generally incomplete or destroyed - even if they are only a several kilobytes in size, and before you ask : we don't have on on-access-virusscanner running. Sometimes, if I do not take a look at those attachments when the mail is still in an IMAP folder but instead copy it to a local folder and THEN open it, it is ok.

I hope you understand my explanation - english is not my mothers tongue.

Regards from Germany, Philipp 

<p>Hi all,</p><p>from time to time we have a strange problem: When connecting to the IMAP-Server of Mercury/32 the mail client seems to "hang". If I restart my mail-clinet now I eventually get all of the headers of my inbox delivered, but the "hourglass" keeps telling that the server is still delivering "something", I think Thunderbird 2.0.0 is awaiting some kind of response from the server.</p><p>Now something strange happens: if I pick several of the lines in my inbox folder (the one on the IMAP-Server) and try to delete them, the subject gets blank, the date converts to 01.01.1970 and MercuryI and Thunderbird get completely out of sync: it seems like the header of the newer mails than this deleted one is now associated with the next message so there is always an offset of one mail between those two. If a move these messages to another folder (either local or on the server), it suddenly has its original header back again - MAGIC.</p><p>Second thing that happens after one of these "hangs" : attachments of those mails are generally incomplete or destroyed - even if they are only a several kilobytes in size, and before you ask : we don't have on on-access-virusscanner running. Sometimes, if I do not take a look at those attachments when the mail is still in an IMAP folder but instead copy it to a local folder and THEN open it, it is ok. </p><p>I hope you understand my explanation - english is not my mothers tongue. </p><p>Regards from Germany, Philipp </p>

If your folder names are in german characters you will get lots of trouble. The imap module is greatly improved in the upcoming version - please be patient a little longer.

<P>If your folder names are in german characters you will get lots of trouble. The imap module is greatly improved in the upcoming version - please be patient a little longer.</P>

Hello Peter,

we do not use any special characters of our german language in any folder.

BTW - we have had this problem for a very long time, it has been there before v4.01c of the IMAP module AND it was reproducable with Thunderbird 1.5.x as well.

We have another problem for which I already gave up to search for the reasons: when we scan documents with out Lexmark X 630 MFP we are able to send this a scanned image as a PDF, TIFF or JPG-attachment to an SMTP-Server. I get those mails in my inbox, but most of the times the attachments are "broken". I tried all combinations of resolutions and available file-formats, no chance. Sometimes it works for one page, and then it doesn't for the next ten scans or so. We investigatd with Lexmark-Support, changed settings, updated the firmware - no change.

To me this seems like a "timing problem" with Mercury/32, but we have a fast Gigabit-Network here, a very fast and underutilized server-machine, I never got any errors in any log from Mercury (yes, I tried transaction logging), so I am helpless. I really like Mercury/32, but if these errors stay unresolved, we will have to switch to Postfix or something like that... sigh !

Shy question: WHEN do you expect Mecury/32 v4.5 to be available in the public or even as beta?

Philipp

<p>Hello Peter,</p><p>we do not use any special characters of our german language in any folder.</p><p>BTW - we have had this problem for a very long time, it has been there before v4.01c of the IMAP module AND it was reproducable with Thunderbird 1.5.x as well.</p><p>We have another problem for which I already gave up to search for the reasons: when we scan documents with out Lexmark X 630 MFP we are able to send this a scanned image as a PDF, TIFF or JPG-attachment to an SMTP-Server. I get those mails in my inbox, but most of the times the attachments are "broken". I tried all combinations of resolutions and available file-formats, no chance. Sometimes it works for one page, and then it doesn't for the next ten scans or so. We investigatd with Lexmark-Support, changed settings, updated the firmware - no change.</p><p>To me this seems like a "timing problem" with Mercury/32, but we have a fast Gigabit-Network here, a very fast and underutilized server-machine, I never got any errors in any log from Mercury (yes, I tried transaction logging), so I am helpless. I really like Mercury/32, but if these errors stay unresolved, we will have to switch to Postfix or something like that... sigh ! </p><p> Shy question: WHEN do you expect Mecury/32 v4.5 to be available in the public or even as beta?</p><p>  Philipp</p>

I trust you investigated all session logs both with your imap problem and MFP-smtp sessions?

I trust you investigated all session logs both with your imap problem and MFP-smtp sessions?

YES and YES .

The sessions with the MFP sit there and wait for the scanner until they timeout, I think this is not normal.

The scanner send normal ESMTP-sequences, I could not find any errors, just the attachments are garbage sometimes, not every time. :-(

Maybe the problem is with Thunderbird, I did never test another mail-client. 

No local firewall, no virusscanner is included in my game here, we have disabled Windows Firewall and use only ClamAV when needed.

But my last question ist still unanswered: V4.5 ? just a little hint ?

Philipp

<p>YES and YES .</p><p>The sessions with the MFP sit there and wait for the scanner until they timeout, I think this is not normal.</p><p>The scanner send normal ESMTP-sequences, I could not find any errors, just the attachments are garbage sometimes, not every time. :-(</p><p>Maybe the problem is with Thunderbird, I did never test another mail-client. </p><p>No local firewall, no virusscanner is included in my game here, we have disabled Windows Firewall and use only ClamAV when needed.</p><p>  But my last question ist still unanswered: V4.5 ? just a little hint ?</p><p> </p><p>Philipp  </p>

To clarify: I meant my IMAP-Problem, when talking about Thunderbird, my other problem with the scanner has nothing to do with this.

Philipp 

<p>To clarify: I meant my IMAP-Problem, when talking about Thunderbird, my other problem with the scanner has nothing to do with this.</p><p>Philipp </p>

Thunderbird IMAP sometimes chokes on some large media files. In Thunderbird, try to go to tools->options->advanced->edit configuration (or something like it, my Thunderbird is in German, it's the old "about config") and filter on "imap". Now change these values as follows:

mail.imap.fetch_by_chunks      false
mail.imap.chunk_size   10240000
mail.imap.max_chunk_size   40960000
mail.imap.min_chunk_size_threshold   15360000

Hope, this helps
/Rolf

<p>Thunderbird IMAP sometimes chokes on some large media files. In Thunderbird, try to go to tools->options->advanced->edit configuration (or something like it, my Thunderbird is in German, it's the old "about config") and filter on "imap". Now change these values as follows:</p><p>mail.imap.fetch_by_chunks      false mail.imap.chunk_size   10240000 mail.imap.max_chunk_size   40960000 mail.imap.min_chunk_size_threshold   15360000</p><p>Hope, this helps /Rolf  </p>

Great !!! This works like a charm !

Even my older problem with the Lexmark MFP is solved ! Just scanned a bunch of pages and sent them to my mailbox.

I have never been able to receive multipage PDFs from our MFP, this works well now and wow, it's fast !

Thanks, Rolf ! 

<p>Great !!! This works like a charm !</p><p>Even my older problem with the Lexmark MFP is solved ! Just scanned a bunch of pages and sent them to my mailbox. </p><p>I have never been able to receive multipage PDFs from our MFP, this works well now and wow, it's fast !</p><p>Thanks, Rolf ! </p>

OK - whilst the attachment problem has been cured, the problem with duplicated or misinterpreted subject-lines in the IMAP-inbox still exists.

Regards - Philipp

<p>OK - whilst the attachment problem has been cured, the problem with duplicated or misinterpreted subject-lines in the IMAP-inbox still exists.</p><p>Regards - Philipp </p>

Philipp,

I know you wrote that you had tried logging, but you also wrote "I think Thunderbird 2.0.0 is awaiting some kind of response from the server".

If you don't know what Thunderbird is waiting for, maybe you haven't seen the full logs? You can log the full IMAP transaction from both ends, and compare what Thunderbird is asking for and what Mercury is responding, and pin down the exact command which is causing the problem.

To<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> log IMAP from Thunderbird see   http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/mail-troubleshoot.html

To log IMAP from Mercury  to to Configuration, MercuryI  IMAP4 Server, enter a name for the log folder and tick the box to enable session logging

You'll get every line which is transferred - take care if you try to view a large attachment, as you'll get thousands of lines of MIME

Hope this helps - apologies if you did know this before.

Chris

Rolf - thank you - your solution on the chunks has solved a big problem for me, too.[:)]

&lt;p&gt;Philipp,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I know you wrote that you had tried logging, but you also wrote &quot;I think Thunderbird 2.0.0 is awaiting some kind of response from the server&quot;.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If you don&#039;t &lt;b&gt;know&lt;/b&gt; what Thunderbird is waiting for, maybe you haven&#039;t seen the full logs? You can log the full IMAP transaction from both ends, and compare what Thunderbird is asking for and what Mercury is responding, and pin down the exact command which is causing the problem.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;To&lt;!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--&gt; log IMAP from Thunderbird see&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/mail-troubleshoot.html&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;To log IMAP from Mercury&amp;nbsp; to to Configuration, MercuryI&amp;nbsp; IMAP4 Server, enter a name for the log folder and tick the box to enable session logging&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;You&#039;ll get every line which is transferred - take care if you try to view a large attachment, as you&#039;ll get thousands of lines of MIME&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;Hope this helps - apologies if you did know this before.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;Chris&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp; Rolf - thank you - your solution on the chunks has solved a big problem for me, too.[:)] &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Today I had about the same problem. When using thunderbird, Mercury takes up to 100% of the cpu resources for quite a while when I view a mail message with attachment (even when I do not open the attachment). It also takes I while before the content (plain text) of such a message appears.
After applying the changes in the configuration suggested by rolf.z , the problem is much diminished (many thanks, Rolf !). But still isn't wiped away.
When reading a message with an attachment of eg. 6 MB , Mercury is still using excessive system resources (but not as long as before).

When Pegasus Mail is used, the problem doesn't exists but it still takes a while to view a message with 'large' attachments (above 1 MB).

Now, after the changes in thunderbird, I can live with it, because it now works 'fast enough'. I'm just curious to know if this glitch lies in thunderbird or Mercury?

How does it comes that reading mail with attachment (without opening them) can take so long or (in the thunderbird case) takes up so much cpu resources while I'm running Mercury on a AMD64 3000 with Windows XP x64 . I'm not using Netware and I'm currently not using plug-ins for mercury (like anti-spam, anti-virus modules etc.). When the anti-virus program is turned off , the problem still exists.

&lt;p&gt;Today I had about the same problem. When using thunderbird, Mercury takes up to 100% of the cpu resources for quite a while when I view a mail message with attachment (even when I do not open the attachment). It also takes I while before the content (plain text) of such a message appears. After applying the changes in the configuration suggested by &lt;a href=&quot;http://community.pmail.com/members/rolf.z.aspx&quot;&gt;rolf.z&lt;/a&gt; , the problem is much diminished (many thanks, Rolf !). But still isn&#039;t wiped away. When reading a message with an attachment of eg. 6 MB , Mercury is still using excessive system resources (but not as long as before).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;When Pegasus Mail is used, the problem doesn&#039;t exists but it still takes a while to view a message with &#039;large&#039; attachments (above 1 MB).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Now, after the changes in thunderbird, I can live with it, because it now works &#039;fast enough&#039;. I&#039;m just curious to know if this glitch lies in thunderbird or Mercury? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;How does it comes that reading mail with attachment (without opening them) can take so long or (in the thunderbird case) takes up so much cpu resources while I&#039;m running Mercury on a AMD64 3000 with Windows XP x64 . I&#039;m not using Netware and I&#039;m currently not using plug-ins for mercury (like anti-spam, anti-virus modules etc.). When the anti-virus program is turned off , the problem still exists. &lt;/p&gt;

What kind of connection are you using to access your IMAP mailbox?  My connection is 384 kbps so it takes a little while to download a 6 MB attachment to my local store and be able to access it.

As for the resources issues, are you seeing errors or performance issues related to the resource utilization?

&lt;p&gt;What kind of connection are you using to access your IMAP mailbox?&amp;nbsp; My connection is 384 kbps so it takes a little while to download a 6 MB attachment to my local store and be able to access it.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As for the resources issues, are you seeing errors or performance issues related to the resource utilization? &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft