Community Discussions and Support
RFC821 mailbox specification

[quote user="olic"]

Here is the lines sent by the old program which Mercury don't like :

MAIL FROM:artemis@serv1.sim
RCPT TO:olivier@serv1.sim
[/quote]

There was a time when Mercury would have accepted these addresses, in the spirit of "Be tolerant in what you accept and strict in what you send", but the advent of open relay testers and spambots meant that I had to change that policy to one of being much stricter about what I will and will not allow. There are also complications introduced by certain ESMTP extensions to the MAIL FROM: command that force me to be more stringent about syntax.

The only suggestion I can offer is the same as Thomas's - that you try entering the address in the old program with the < and > characters already in place. The address is still legal in all cases where a compliant RFC2822 parser would be reading it, and it will work around the problem. Of course, if the string is hardwired or there's some other reason why you can't change it, then I'm afraid you have a bit of a problem.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user=&quot;olic&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Here is the lines sent by the old program which Mercury don&#039;t like :&lt;/p&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;MAIL &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:FROM:artemis@mail.ville.montreal.qc.ca&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:FROM:artemis@mail.ville.montreal.qc.ca&quot; class=&quot;moz-txt-link-abbreviated&quot;&gt;FROM:artemis@serv1.sim&lt;/a&gt; RCPT &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:TO:olivier@oliserv.net&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:TO:olivier@oliserv.net&quot; class=&quot;moz-txt-link-abbreviated&quot;&gt;TO:olivier@serv1.sim&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/pre&gt;[/quote] There was a time when Mercury would have accepted these addresses, in the spirit of &quot;Be tolerant in what you accept and strict in what you send&quot;, but the advent of open relay testers and spambots meant that I had to change that policy to one of being much stricter about what I will and will not allow. There are also complications introduced by certain ESMTP extensions to the MAIL FROM: command that force me to be more stringent about syntax. The only suggestion I can offer is the same as Thomas&#039;s - that you try entering the address in the old program with the &amp;lt; and &amp;gt; characters already in place. The address is still legal in all cases where a compliant RFC2822 parser would be reading it, and it will work around the problem. Of course, if the string is hardwired or there&#039;s some other reason why you can&#039;t change it, then I&#039;m afraid you have a bit of a problem. Cheers! -- David --

Hi,

I'm a new user of Mercury server.

My new installation run really well. There is just a small detail. I have an old program which send emails without the "<" ">" for mails address. Mercery refuses these messages, by saying that the address is not valid according to the standard RFC821. It's true! However, I cannot modify the program which makes this. it's possible to make so that Mercury accept this address ?

Sorry for my bad English,

Thanks,

Olivier Côté 
&lt;P&gt;Hi,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I&#039;m a new user of Mercury server. &lt;/P&gt; &lt;DIV id=result_box dir=ltr&gt;My new installation&amp;nbsp;run really well. There is just a small detail. I have an old program which&amp;nbsp;send emails without the&amp;nbsp;&quot;&amp;lt;&quot; &quot;&amp;gt;&quot;&amp;nbsp;for mails address. Mercery refuses these messages, by saying that the address is not valid according to the standard RFC821. It&#039;s true! However, I cannot modify the program which makes this. it&#039;s possible to make so that Mercury&amp;nbsp;accept this address&amp;nbsp;?&lt;/DIV&gt; &lt;DIV dir=ltr&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/DIV&gt; &lt;DIV dir=ltr&gt;Sorry for my bad English,&lt;/DIV&gt; &lt;DIV dir=ltr&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/DIV&gt; &lt;DIV dir=ltr&gt;Thanks,&lt;/DIV&gt; &lt;DIV dir=ltr&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/DIV&gt; &lt;DIV dir=ltr&gt;Olivier C&ocirc;t&eacute;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/DIV&gt;

[quote user="olic"]

Hi,

I'm a new user of Mercury server.

My new installation run really well. There is just a small detail. I have an old program which send emails without the "<" ">" for mails address. Mercery refuses these messages, by saying that the address is not valid according to the standard RFC821. It's true! However, I cannot modify the program which makes this. it's possible to make so that Mercury accept this address ?

Sorry for my bad English,

Thanks,

Olivier Côté 

[/quote]

There are multiple ways to format an e-mail address, what is the exact e-mail address (in full) that is passed on to Merucry?

[quote user=&quot;olic&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Hi,&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;I&#039;m a new user of Mercury server. &lt;/p&gt; &lt;div id=&quot;result_box&quot; dir=&quot;ltr&quot;&gt;My new installation&amp;nbsp;run really well. There is just a small detail. I have an old program which&amp;nbsp;send emails without the&amp;nbsp;&quot;&amp;lt;&quot; &quot;&amp;gt;&quot;&amp;nbsp;for mails address. Mercery refuses these messages, by saying that the address is not valid according to the standard RFC821. It&#039;s true! However, I cannot modify the program which makes this. it&#039;s possible to make so that Mercury&amp;nbsp;accept this address&amp;nbsp;?&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div dir=&quot;ltr&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div dir=&quot;ltr&quot;&gt;Sorry for my bad English,&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div dir=&quot;ltr&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div dir=&quot;ltr&quot;&gt;Thanks,&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div dir=&quot;ltr&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div dir=&quot;ltr&quot;&gt;Olivier C&ocirc;t&eacute;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;There are multiple ways to format an e-mail address, what is the exact e-mail address (in full) that is passed on to Merucry?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

rfc 2822 states following, meaning if you omit the <> you can't have the real name in fron of the email address.

It MUST be in either of the following
   forms:

User Name <local-part@domain>

local-part@domain

&lt;P&gt;rfc 2822 states following, meaning if you omit the &amp;lt;&amp;gt; you can&#039;t have the real name in fron of the email address.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Courier New&quot;&gt;It MUST be in either of the following &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; forms:&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Courier New&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; User Name &amp;lt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:local-part@domain&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Courier New&quot; color=#02469b&gt;local-part@domain&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/A&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Courier New&quot;&gt;&amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:local-part@domain&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Courier New&quot; color=#02469b&gt;local-part@domain&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/A&gt;&lt;/P&gt;

Thank you for your answers,

Here is the lines sent by the old program which Mercury don't like :

MAIL FROM:artemis@serv1.sim
RCPT TO:olivier@serv1.sim
This lines work well : 
MAIL FROM: <artemis@serv1.sim>
RCPT TO: <olivier@serv1.sim>

With this old program, I need to use the first line...
(serv1.sim is use on this network only, it's not valide on Internet)

Olivier. 
&lt;p&gt;Thank you for your answers,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Here is the lines sent by the old program which Mercury don&#039;t like :&lt;/p&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;MAIL &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:FROM:artemis@mail.ville.montreal.qc.ca&quot; class=&quot;moz-txt-link-abbreviated&quot;&gt;FROM:artemis@serv1.sim&lt;/a&gt; RCPT &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:TO:olivier@oliserv.net&quot; class=&quot;moz-txt-link-abbreviated&quot;&gt;TO:olivier@serv1.sim&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;This lines work well :&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;MAIL FROM: &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:artemis@mail.ville.montreal.qc.ca&quot; class=&quot;moz-txt-link-rfc2396E&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;artemis@serv1.sim&amp;gt;&lt;/a&gt; RCPT TO: &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:olivier@oliserv.net&quot; class=&quot;moz-txt-link-rfc2396E&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;olivier@serv1.sim&amp;gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;With this old program, I need to use the first line...&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;(serv1.sim is use on this network only, it&#039;s not valide on Internet)&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre wrap=&quot;&quot;&gt;Olivier.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;

> Thank you for your answers,
>
> Here is the lines sent by the old program which Mercury don't like :
>
> MAIL FROM:artemis@serv1.sim
> RCPT TO:olivier@serv1.sim
> This lines work well :
> MAIL FROM: <artemis@serv1.sim>
> RCPT TO: <olivier@serv1.sim>
>  
> With this old program, I need to use the first line...
> (serv1.sim is use on this network only, it's not valide on Internet)
>  
> Olivier.

How about trying you use <oliver@serv1.sim> when you enter the email address in the old program.   

&amp;gt; Thank you for your answers, &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Here is the lines sent by the old program which Mercury don&#039;t like : &amp;gt; &amp;gt; MAIL FROM:artemis@serv1.sim &amp;gt; RCPT TO:olivier@serv1.sim &amp;gt; This lines work well : &amp;gt; MAIL FROM: &amp;lt;artemis@serv1.sim&amp;gt; &amp;gt; RCPT TO: &amp;lt;olivier@serv1.sim&amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; With this old program, I need to use the first line... &amp;gt; (serv1.sim is use on this network only, it&#039;s not valide on Internet) &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; Olivier. How about trying you use &amp;lt;oliver@serv1.sim&amp;gt; when you enter the email address in the old program.&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft