Pegasus Mail Suggestions
A suggestion about a new tab

[quote user="whiskyfizz"]

Well, I did not know there already was some sort of a "keywords option". However, if it is only available for outgoing messages, it will not serve my purpose.[/quote]

I've just been testing and I don't think there's currently any way to search your annotations. If that were possible, that would allow something similar to what you want, though it would need you to manually add your 'tags' to each message. I think that a way of searching annotations might be useful - perhaps the new mail store allows for this.

Alternatively (and perhaps more practically), being able to add keywords to received messages would be good and if it were combined with a new filter action of adding a keyword, this could be mighty powerful.

I realise one can add a custom x-header via a filter rule, but then you would need two separate searches to find a trail of messages, both sent and received, for a given tag: one search for keywords in outgoing mail and another for the x-headers that had been added.

[quote user="whiskyfizz"]<P>Well, I did not know there already was some sort of a "keywords option". However, if it is only available for outgoing messages, it will not serve my purpose.[/quote]</P><P>I've just been testing and I don't think there's currently any way to search your annotations. If that were possible, that would allow something similar to what you want, though it would need you to manually add your 'tags' to each message. I think that a way of searching annotations might be useful - perhaps the new mail store allows for this.</P><P>Alternatively (and perhaps more practically), being able to add keywords to received messages would be good and if it were combined with a new filter action of adding a keyword, this could be mighty powerful.</P><P>I realise one can add a custom x-header via a filter rule, but then you would need two separate searches to find a trail of messages, both sent and received, for a given tag: one search for keywords in outgoing mail and another for the x-headers that had been added.</P>

Hi all !

Well, first it is nice to have news from David and as I was reading his latest post where he is talking about the "Mail Store" part of Pegasus Mail, why not suggest a little improvement ? So here it is. When you select a email, you have initially two tabs, the first one gives you a "short view" of the message and the second one deals with possible attachments. I suggest adding a new tab called "key words". What would be the use of that ? Well, suppose you have a folder containing 100 trays named T1,...,T100 where each of them is linked (by a filter rule) to a specific sender named S1 for T1, S2 for T2, and so forth, then it is a bit tedious to go from one tray to another to read new messages. Instead you can have one big tray T containing all the messages of the previous 100 trays. Let's say i is a number between 1 and 100. All the 100 trays are gone and you have now T, but still there are the filter rules linking Si to Ti. If you modify those rules by changing in each of them Ti by T, then instead of searching through the 100 trays, you will have to search inside T, but depending on the amount of messages, it can be as tedious and as time consuming as the former. You can use of course the searching capabilities of Pegasus Mail, but since all the messages are not standardized, you could miss some of them. If we have the "key words" tab, then we can easily retrieve messages from Si. We just have to make a filter rule saying that if the sender is Si, then put key word Wi in the "key words" tab of the message. That done, if you want to extract all the messages from Si, just type the key word Wi. Also, you can have multiple key words attached to each message, and this way you can enhance the search function significantly because you can have some sort of a "thematic search" and I think this does not exist in other clients. I do not know if I was clear enough, but should you have any questions, I will be happy to clarify my idea. I hope this will retain David's attention and that similar to my suggestion about comments for folders, it will be accepted.

Cheers !

Whiskyfizz.

<p>Hi all !</p><p>Well, first it is nice to have news from David and as I was reading his latest post where he is talking about the "Mail Store" part of Pegasus Mail, why not suggest a little improvement ? So here it is. When you select a email, you have initially two tabs, the first one gives you a "short view" of the message and the second one deals with possible attachments. I suggest adding a new tab called "key words". What would be the use of that ? Well, suppose you have a folder containing 100 trays named T1,...,T100 where each of them is linked (by a filter rule) to a specific sender named S1 for T1, S2 for T2, and so forth, then it is a bit tedious to go from one tray to another to read new messages. Instead you can have one big tray T containing all the messages of the previous 100 trays. Let's say i is a number between 1 and 100. All the 100 trays are gone and you have now T, but still there are the filter rules linking Si to Ti. If you modify those rules by changing in each of them Ti by T, then instead of searching through the 100 trays, you will have to search inside T, but depending on the amount of messages, it can be as tedious and as time consuming as the former. You can use of course the searching capabilities of Pegasus Mail, but since all the messages are not standardized, you could miss some of them. If we have the "key words" tab, then we can easily retrieve messages from Si. We just have to make a filter rule saying that if the sender is Si, then put key word Wi in the "key words" tab of the message. That done, if you want to extract all the messages from Si, just type the key word Wi. Also, you can have multiple key words attached to each message, and this way you can enhance the search function significantly because you can have some sort of a "thematic search" and I think this does not exist in other clients. I do not know if I was clear enough, but should you have any questions, I will be happy to clarify my idea. I hope this will retain David's attention and that similar to my suggestion about comments for folders, it will be accepted.</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Whiskyfizz. </p>

Hi all !

Since MailStore is being rewritten as we speak, I thought I might precise my idea a little bit by giving an example. Also, this will serve the purpose of bringing this thread and idea to the front, hoping it will be accepted. So from the above text, one can say that identifying every messages from Si is as simple as making a search with Si's email address. However, there are some cases when a given sender uses multiple email addresses. For instance, a university professor teaching in two different universities and having is research team in a third one will use 3 different email adresses. With my suggestion, for these three adresses, one can put a common key word for this university professor. Now suppose further that we receive three emails fromm our professor, but each concerning a different subject. Then we could manually add to the key words tab of the first email the words "subject 1", to that of the second email the words "subject 2", and so forth. This way, if we want to find the messages sent by our professor related to subject 52, we can easily retrieve those by searching into the key words tabs of the various messages, folders and trays. Yes, you read correctly, I think this is an idea so enough good that it should be extended to trays and folders provided it is accepted. I hope this message will produce some reactions. Thanks in advance.

Cheers !

Whiskyfizz.

<p>Hi all !</p><p>Since MailStore is being rewritten as we speak, I thought I might precise my idea a little bit by giving an example. Also, this will serve the purpose of bringing this thread and idea to the front, hoping it will be accepted. So from the above text, one can say that identifying every messages from Si is as simple as making a search with Si's email address. However, there are some cases when a given sender uses multiple email addresses. For instance, a university professor teaching in two different universities and having is research team in a third one will use 3 different email adresses. With my suggestion, for these three adresses, one can put a common key word for this university professor. Now suppose further that we receive three emails fromm our professor, but each concerning a different subject. Then we could manually add to the key words tab of the first email the words "subject 1", to that of the second email the words "subject 2", and so forth. This way, if we want to find the messages sent by our professor related to subject 52, we can easily retrieve those by searching into the key words tabs of the various messages, folders and trays. Yes, you read correctly, I think this is an idea so enough good that it should be extended to trays and folders provided it is accepted. I hope this message will produce some reactions. Thanks in advance.</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Whiskyfizz. </p>

What you are trying hard to describe is, I believe, just 'tags', something seen on most Web 2.0 websites these days. Many mail clients do already include this kind of feature - Outlook calls them categories, for example. They are clever and useful and would definitely be a good addition to Pegasus. I'm sure David has seen them in action and it will be interesting to see if his new mail store system includes something similar.

What you are trying hard to describe is, I believe, just 'tags', something seen on most Web 2.0 websites these days. Many mail clients do already include this kind of feature - Outlook calls them categories, for example. They are clever and useful and would definitely be a good addition to Pegasus. I'm sure David has seen them in action and it will be interesting to see if his new mail store system includes something similar.

Hi !

Well, first thanks for taking some interest in my suggestion. I didn't know that this "key words" idea was already in place in others mail clients. However, I am quite sure (well I hope) it is confined to messages only and not trays or folders, so in this respect, it would be something new. Also, in those other email clients, is it possible to search using those key words, tags or categories ? In Pegasus Mail, we already have the ability to "tag" messages by the comments option, but it is rather limited (we cannot "search" in this part of the messages) and it is not persistent, meaning that it can be lost (if I remember correctly after reindexing or a similar operation). Having a specific tab for that would be a great improvement. Well, I hope David will cleverly add something close to this idea in his next release.

Cheers !

Whiskyfizz.

<p>Hi !</p><p>Well, first thanks for taking some interest in my suggestion. I didn't know that this "key words" idea was already in place in others mail clients. However, I am quite sure (well I hope) it is confined to messages only and not trays or folders, so in this respect, it would be something new. Also, in those other email clients, is it possible to search using those key words, tags or categories ? In Pegasus Mail, we already have the ability to "tag" messages by the comments option, but it is rather limited (we cannot "search" in this part of the messages) and it is not persistent, meaning that it can be lost (if I remember correctly after reindexing or a similar operation). Having a specific tab for that would be a great improvement. Well, I hope David will cleverly add something close to this idea in his next release.</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Whiskyfizz. </p>

Have you tried playing with the "Keywords" field that can be enabled in the options? It's in the "Messages and Replies" section of the options.

I've never used it, but if you can search for keywords you've entered on messages, perhaps that will work for you. However, if it works it only appears to be available for your outgoing messages - you can't "tag" received messages.

<P>Have you tried playing with the "Keywords" field that can be enabled in the options? It's in the "Messages and Replies" section of the options.</P><P>I've never used it, but if you can search for keywords you've entered on messages, perhaps that will work for you. However, if it works it only appears to be available for your outgoing messages - you can't "tag" received messages.</P>

Hi !

Well, I did not know there already was some sort of a "keywords option". However, if it is only available for outgoing messages, it will not serve my purpose. What I suggested is to offer another way of classifying our messages, both outgoing and incoming. For the outgoing ones, the extra keywords tab should be kept only for your own copy so that the receiver will have no knowledge of its existence. For the incoming ones, it could be accounted as a new action following the current trigger conditions. In my opinion, it would be a valuable feature and I think it is not available in other email clients.

Cheers !

Whiskyfizz.

<p>Hi !</p><p>Well, I did not know there already was some sort of a "keywords option". However, if it is only available for outgoing messages, it will not serve my purpose. What I suggested is to offer another way of classifying our messages, both outgoing and incoming. For the outgoing ones, the extra keywords tab should be kept only for your own copy so that the receiver will have no knowledge of its existence. For the incoming ones, it could be accounted as a new action following the current trigger conditions. In my opinion, it would be a valuable feature and I think it is not available in other email clients.</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Whiskyfizz. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft