Community Discussions and Support
Missing "Deleted Message" and "New Mail" folder

Under Tools > Options > General Settings > Advanced Settings, check the box for 'Deleted messages' folder persists between sessions'.

Oops, I did not see the answer above. Sorry for the duplication.

<p>Under Tools > Options > General Settings > Advanced Settings, check the box for 'Deleted messages' folder persists between sessions'.</p><p>Oops, I did not see the answer above. Sorry for the duplication. </p>

Hi,

while I am a faithful Pegasus-user for 10 years now, I never experienced serious trouble with my favorite mail client until today: I tried to move my homebox location to another partion of my harddisc which didn't work, so I moved it back, so that I can sort it out later. After restoring my homeboy in its original folder (and changing all the paths in the .ini) all my folders were "invisible". Lucky enough I found this article

http://kbase.pmail.gen.nz/viewfull.cfm?ObjectID=3052285B-01CF-4242-91AA6A0520ED244D

in the knowledgebase, so that I could restore most of my folders easily. But I cannot find my "New Mail" folder in hierarch.pm, nor the "Deleted Messages" folder. How can I restore them? Can somebody please help me out?

uergsel

<p>Hi, while I am a faithful Pegasus-user for 10 years now, I never experienced serious trouble with my favorite mail client until today: I tried to move my homebox location to another partion of my harddisc which didn't work, so I moved it back, so that I can sort it out later. After restoring my homeboy in its original folder (and changing all the paths in the .ini) all my folders were "invisible". Lucky enough I found this article <a href="http://kbase.pmail.gen.nz/viewfull.cfm?ObjectID=3052285B-01CF-4242-91AA6A0520ED244D" title="Structure of HIERARCH.PM file" target="_blank" mce_href="http://kbase.pmail.gen.nz/viewfull.cfm?ObjectID=3052285B-01CF-4242-91AA6A0520ED244D">http://kbase.pmail.gen.nz/viewfull.cfm?ObjectID=3052285B-01CF-4242-91AA6A0520ED244D</a> in the knowledgebase, so that I could restore most of my folders easily. But I cannot find my "New Mail" folder in hierarch.pm, nor the "Deleted Messages" folder. How can I restore them? Can somebody please help me out?</p><p> uergsel  </p>

Hello!

I am no expert as far as "hierarch.pm" is concerned, so I cannot say whether my reply is or is not helpful to you.

As far as the "Deleted messages"-folder is concerned: does the folder appear in the folder list after you have deleted a message?
If it does not, you may want to check your settings. One of the Pegasus Mail options sets whether a deleted message appears in the "Deleted messages"-folder after being deleted, or whether it is deleted completely. You find that option under "Tools" | "Options..." | "General settings", and the option itself is "Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes". If you check the option, a message you have deleted is moved to the "Deleted messages"-folder, and the "Deleted messages"-folder is deleted when Pegasus Mail is being closed (i.e. all messages you have deleted disappear when Pegasus Mail is being closed, so you could restore a deleted message as long as Pegasus Mail is still running by moving that message out of the "Deleted messages"-folder). If that option is not checked, a message that you have deleted disappears completely, so there is no "Deleted messages"-folder then.

As far as the New Mail folder is concerned, you might have to set the respective path in "pconfig.exe". Do so ONLY if Pegasus Mail is NOT running.
Before doing so, compare the paths for your "Home mailbox" and your "New mailbox". In Pegasus Mail, "Home mailbox" means the directory in which your local folders are placed, and "New mailbox" is the directory that contains incoming messages you actually expect to be listed in the New Mail folder (i.e. *.cnm-files). You can find those paths-values (for "Home mailbox" and "New mailbox") under "Help" | "About Pegasus Mail..." | "Info..."; the values for "Home mailbox location" and "new mailbox location" often look like "C:\PMAIL.USR\MAIL\Freemail". Often, the directories given there are the same, so incoming messages and your local folders are usually saved in the same directory.
Well...if the directories given there differ and you are sure that the should not, then you may have to tell Pegasus Mail teh correct values. Start "pconfig.exe" that you find in the Pegasus Mail program directory (i.e. the directory that "winpm-32.exe" is located in). Choose the "Standalone configuration", given that you have installed Pegasus Mail on a local computer. The next screen lists the two directories I have mentioned, and you can now compare whether their values are identical. Before changing anything, you should write down the current values, so you can re-enter them in case something goes wrong. The values may look like "C:\PMAIL.USR\MAIL\~8" where "~8" is a placeholder for the user names of your current Pegasus Mail installation. If the two entries differ, edit the entry for "New mailbox" (because this is the one that cannot be found, according to your description) and replace that entry by the value you see for "Home mailbox". (Remember: have you written down the setting before changing it? As I am not completely sure that this will help, you should be able to restore the settings in case my advice does not help.) Having edited the values given there, both entries should now be the same. Restart Pegasus Mail and tell us what happened.

Hello! I am no expert as far as "hierarch.pm" is concerned, so I cannot say whether my reply is or is not helpful to you. As far as the "Deleted messages"-folder is concerned: does the folder appear in the folder list after you have deleted a message? If it does not, you may want to check your settings. One of the Pegasus Mail options sets whether a deleted message appears in the "Deleted messages"-folder after being deleted, or whether it is deleted completely. You find that option under "Tools" | "Options..." | "General settings", and the option itself is "Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes". If you check the option, a message you have deleted is moved to the "Deleted messages"-folder, and the "Deleted messages"-folder is deleted when Pegasus Mail is being closed (i.e. all messages you have deleted disappear when Pegasus Mail is being closed, so you could restore a deleted message as long as Pegasus Mail is still running by moving that message out of the "Deleted messages"-folder). If that option is not checked, a message that you have deleted disappears completely, so there is no "Deleted messages"-folder then. As far as the New Mail folder is concerned, you might have to set the respective path in "pconfig.exe". Do so ONLY if Pegasus Mail is NOT running. Before doing so, compare the paths for your "Home mailbox" and your "New mailbox". In Pegasus Mail, "Home mailbox" means the directory in which your local folders are placed, and "New mailbox" is the directory that contains incoming messages you actually expect to be listed in the New Mail folder (i.e. *.cnm-files). You can find those paths-values (for "Home mailbox" and "New mailbox") under "Help" | "About Pegasus Mail..." | "Info..."; the values for "Home mailbox location" and "new mailbox location" often look like "C:\PMAIL.USR\MAIL\Freemail". Often, the directories given there are the same, so incoming messages and your local folders are usually saved in the same directory. Well...if the directories given there differ and you are sure that the should not, then you may have to tell Pegasus Mail teh correct values. Start "pconfig.exe" that you find in the Pegasus Mail program directory (i.e. the directory that "winpm-32.exe" is located in). Choose the "Standalone configuration", given that you have installed Pegasus Mail on a local computer. The next screen lists the two directories I have mentioned, and you can now compare whether their values are identical. Before changing anything, you should write down the current values, so you can re-enter them in case something goes wrong. The values may look like "C:\PMAIL.USR\MAIL\~8" where "~8" is a placeholder for the user names of your current Pegasus Mail installation. If the two entries differ, edit the entry for "New mailbox" (because this is the one that cannot be found, according to your description) and replace that entry by the value you see for "Home mailbox". (Remember: have you written down the setting before changing it? As I am not completely sure that this will help, you should be able to restore the settings in case my advice does not help.) Having edited the values given there, both entries should now be the same. Restart Pegasus Mail and tell us what happened.

Hello!

I have to add that you should pay attention to whether you have really saved the settings for "pconfig.exe". "Accept this data?" has to be answered "Y" after you have edited the settings of the "Standalone configuration"; and when closing the "pconfig.exe"-screen completely, choose "Exit, saving settings".

Hello! I have to add that you should pay attention to whether you have really saved the settings for "pconfig.exe". "Accept this data?" has to be answered "Y" after you have edited the settings of the "Standalone configuration"; and when closing the "pconfig.exe"-screen completely, choose "Exit, saving settings".

Dear Thomas, 

[quote user="Thomas Nimmesgern"]
As far as the "Deleted messages"-folder is concerned: does the folder appear in the folder list after you have deleted a message?[/quote]

Nope.

[quote user="Thomas Nimmesgern"]If it does not, you may want to check your settings. One of the Pegasus Mail options sets whether a deleted message appears in the "Deleted messages"-folder after being deleted, or whether it is deleted completely. You find that option under "Tools" | "Options..." | "General settings", and the option itself is "Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes". If you check the option, a message you have deleted is moved to the "Deleted messages"-folder, and the "Deleted messages"-folder is deleted when Pegasus Mail is being closed (i.e. all messages you have deleted disappear when Pegasus Mail is being closed, so you could restore a deleted message as long as Pegasus Mail is still running by moving that message out of the "Deleted messages"-folder). If that option is not checked, a message that you have deleted disappears completely, so there is no "Deleted messages"-folder then.[/quote]

I've checked the option, but nothing happens. In fact, I've unchecked the option, restarted and checked it again (so that Pegaus could "rebuild the optional "Deleted Messages" folder), but nothing happened.

When I add manually a "Deleted Messages" folder, Pegasus uses it to store deleted messages in it (only those, that are deleted after adding the "Deleted Messages" folder") but when I close Pegasus and restart it and try to delete a message, the folder is not restored.

I'll try your hints for the New Mail folder later...

Any more suggests for the Deleted Messages folder?

Sal

<p>Dear Thomas, </p><p>[quote user="Thomas Nimmesgern"] As far as the "Deleted messages"-folder is concerned: does the folder appear in the folder list after you have deleted a message?[/quote]</p><p>Nope.</p><p> [quote user="Thomas Nimmesgern"]If it does not, you may want to check your settings. One of the Pegasus Mail options sets whether a deleted message appears in the "Deleted messages"-folder after being deleted, or whether it is deleted completely. You find that option under "Tools" | "Options..." | "General settings", and the option itself is "Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes". If you check the option, a message you have deleted is moved to the "Deleted messages"-folder, and the "Deleted messages"-folder is deleted when Pegasus Mail is being closed (i.e. all messages you have deleted disappear when Pegasus Mail is being closed, so you could restore a deleted message as long as Pegasus Mail is still running by moving that message out of the "Deleted messages"-folder). If that option is not checked, a message that you have deleted disappears completely, so there is no "Deleted messages"-folder then.[/quote]</p><p> I've checked the option, but nothing happens. In fact, I've unchecked the option, restarted and checked it again (so that Pegaus could "rebuild the optional "Deleted Messages" folder), but nothing happened.</p><p> When I add manually a "Deleted Messages" folder, Pegasus uses it to store deleted messages in it (only those, that are deleted after adding the "Deleted Messages" folder") but when I close Pegasus and restart it and try to delete a message, the folder is not restored.</p><p>I'll try your hints for the New Mail folder later...</p><p> Any more suggests for the Deleted Messages folder?</p><p> Sal  </p>

[quote user="uergsel"]

But I cannot find my "New Mail" folder in hierarch.pm, nor the "Deleted Messages" folder. How can I restore them? Can somebody please help me out?

uergsel

[/quote]

New Mail is not listed in Hierarch.PM because it is not a "real" folder - it is just a number of individual messages with .CNM extensions - but it should be in STATE.PMJ

When you look at Hierarch.PM ensure that Pmail is closed.

You also need to check Options/General settings/Advanced settings/"Deleted messages" folder persists between sessions.

Creating a folder named "Deleted messages" will probably confuse Pmail.

So:
Rename or delete any folder that is not a genuine Deleted messages folder
Set deleted messages retentions in both Options/General/Basic and Advanced.
Quit Pmail and restart.
Delete a message - which should create a genuine Deleted messages folder (with the Dustbin icon)
Quit Pmail and restart - your deleted messages folder should still be there.

Bob
[quote user="uergsel"] <P> .......... But I cannot find my "New Mail" folder in hierarch.pm, nor the "Deleted Messages" folder. How can I restore them? Can somebody please help me out? ............ </P><P> uergsel  </P>[/quote] New Mail is not listed in Hierarch.PM because it is not a "real" folder - it is just a number of individual messages with .CNM extensions - but it should be in STATE.PMJ When you look at Hierarch.PM ensure that Pmail is closed. You also need to check Options/General settings/Advanced settings/"Deleted messages" folder persists between sessions. Creating a folder named "Deleted messages" will probably confuse Pmail. So: Rename or delete any folder that is not a genuine Deleted messages folder Set deleted messages retentions in both Options/General/Basic and Advanced. Quit Pmail and restart. Delete a message - which should create a genuine Deleted messages folder (with the Dustbin icon) Quit Pmail and restart - your deleted messages folder should still be there. Bob

[quote user="BobKellock"]
You also need to check Options/General settings/Advanced settings/"Deleted messages" folder persists between sessions.
Creating a folder named "Deleted messages" will probably confuse Pmail.
So:
Rename or delete any folder that is not a genuine Deleted messages folder
Set deleted messages retentions in both Options/General/Basic and Advanced.
Quit Pmail and restart.
Delete a message - which should create a genuine Deleted messages folder (with the Dustbin icon)
Quit Pmail and restart - your deleted messages folder should still be there.[/quote]

Nope, it doesn't work [:S] 

And I've already deleted the created "Deleted messages" folder (and restarted several times) before trying this out.

<p>[quote user="BobKellock"] You also need to check Options/General settings/Advanced settings/"Deleted messages" folder persists between sessions. Creating a folder named "Deleted messages" will probably confuse Pmail. So: Rename or delete any folder that is not a genuine Deleted messages folder Set deleted messages retentions in both Options/General/Basic and Advanced. Quit Pmail and restart. Delete a message - which should create a genuine Deleted messages folder (with the Dustbin icon) Quit Pmail and restart - your deleted messages folder should still be there.[/quote]</p><p>Nope, it doesn't work [:S] </p><p> And I've already deleted the created "Deleted messages" folder (and restarted several times) before trying this out.  </p>

[quote user="BobKellock"]
New Mail is not listed in Hierarch.PM because it is not a "real" folder - it is just a number of individual messages with .CNM extensions - but it should be in STATE.PMJ
When you look at Hierarch.PM ensure that Pmail is closed.
[/quote]

Hierarch.pm? Anyway, I did make sure to close Pegasus... here's what's in my STATE.PMJ

[Mailbox_IDs]
DEFAULT=0,0,0,0,"56B65513:My mailbox"
[General]
V4FP=0,0,708,474,"0"
V4FP-1=0,46,262,440
V4FP-2=265,46,700,254,"100,151,94,0,34"
V4FP-3=265,286,700,440
FClassic=52,65,328,318,"0"
Browse=0,0,0,0,"0"
Preferences=34,42,595,444
V4AD=0,44,267,293,"0"
V4AP=88,116,635,471,"0"
V4AB1=0,44,267,138,"Adresses"
[FOLDER]
New mail=40,16,492,308,"120,180,94,0,34,0"
594ED0B9:12BB:FOL05246=5,5,492,355,"120,180,94,0,34,0"
712C51C0:03C9:FOL015DF=5,5,492,355,"120,180,94,0,34,0"
9R0M42ID:6F59:FOL06E30=5,5,492,413,"120,180,94,0,34,0"
78CFB1E8:7F18:FOL0513C=5,5,492,326,"120,180,94,0,34,0"
6CA47BD3:1C98:FOL06CD9=15,31,492,272,"120,180,94,0,34,0"
1853C734:2DB0:FOL03062=5,5,492,330,"120,180,94,0,34,0"
[NAMERF]
DEFAULT=231,143,500,323
[READER]
Body=45,26,535,369,"0 100 0"
Attmt=0,0,0,0,"138 0"
AtCols=0,0,0,0,"200 86 132"
[SELFOL]
Select a mail folder RS=293,236,334,395

So... there is something about "New Mail" but I don't understand what all those hex (?)-codes mean...

Mhhhh....

<p>[quote user="BobKellock"] New Mail is not listed in Hierarch.PM because it is not a "real" folder - it is just a number of individual messages with .CNM extensions - but it should be in STATE.PMJ When you look at Hierarch.PM ensure that Pmail is closed. [/quote]</p><p>Hierarch.pm? Anyway, I did make sure to close Pegasus... here's what's in my STATE.PMJ </p><p>[Mailbox_IDs] DEFAULT=0,0,0,0,"56B65513:My mailbox" [General] V4FP=0,0,708,474,"0" V4FP-1=0,46,262,440 V4FP-2=265,46,700,254,"100,151,94,0,34" V4FP-3=265,286,700,440 FClassic=52,65,328,318,"0" Browse=0,0,0,0,"0" Preferences=34,42,595,444 V4AD=0,44,267,293,"0" V4AP=88,116,635,471,"0" V4AB1=0,44,267,138,"Adresses" [FOLDER] New mail=40,16,492,308,"120,180,94,0,34,0" 594ED0B9:12BB:FOL05246=5,5,492,355,"120,180,94,0,34,0" 712C51C0:03C9:FOL015DF=5,5,492,355,"120,180,94,0,34,0" 9R0M42ID:6F59:FOL06E30=5,5,492,413,"120,180,94,0,34,0" 78CFB1E8:7F18:FOL0513C=5,5,492,326,"120,180,94,0,34,0" 6CA47BD3:1C98:FOL06CD9=15,31,492,272,"120,180,94,0,34,0" 1853C734:2DB0:FOL03062=5,5,492,330,"120,180,94,0,34,0" [NAMERF] DEFAULT=231,143,500,323 [READER] Body=45,26,535,369,"0 100 0" Attmt=0,0,0,0,"138 0" AtCols=0,0,0,0,"200 86 132" [SELFOL] Select a mail folder RS=293,236,334,395  </p><p>So... there <i>is</i> something about "New Mail" but I don't understand what all those hex (?)-codes mean...</p><p> Mhhhh....  </p>

Dear Thomas, 

[quote user="Thomas Nimmesgern"]
Before doing so, compare the paths for your "Home mailbox" and your "New mailbox". In Pegasus Mail, "Home mailbox" means the directory in which your local folders are placed, and "New mailbox" is the directory that contains incoming messages you actually expect to be listed in the New Mail folder (i.e. *.cnm-files). You can find those paths-values (for "Home mailbox" and "New mailbox") under "Help" | "About Pegasus Mail..." | "Info..."; the values for "Home mailbox location" and "new mailbox location" often look like "C:\PMAIL.USR\MAIL\Freemail". Often, the directories given there are the same, so incoming messages and your local folders are usually saved in the same directory.
Well...if the directories given there differ and you are sure that the should not, then you may have to tell Pegasus Mail teh correct values. Start "pconfig.exe" that you find in the Pegasus Mail program directory (i.e. the directory that "winpm-32.exe" is located in). Choose the "Standalone configuration", given that you have installed Pegasus Mail on a local computer. The next screen lists the two directories I have mentioned, and you can now compare whether their values are identical. Before changing anything, you should write down the current values, so you can re-enter them in case something goes wrong. The values may look like "C:\PMAIL.USR\MAIL\~8" where "~8" is a placeholder for the user names of your current Pegasus Mail installation. If the two entries differ, edit the entry for "New mailbox" (because this is the one that cannot be found, according to your description) and replace that entry by the value you see for "Home mailbox". (Remember: have you written down the setting before changing it? As I am not completely sure that this will help, you should be able to restore the settings in case my advice does not help.) Having edited the values given there, both entries should now be the same. Restart Pegasus Mail and tell us what happened.
[/quote]

I've checked the paths in the pmail.ini, the seem to be correct, so does pcconfig.exe say. Still no "New Mail"-folder (I know, it's only virtual) is shown in the folder list.

I must add that I can reach my "new mails" by clicking on the "Open or re-scan your new mail folder" button in the toolbar but I don't see it listed in the mail folder list, when I click on the "Work with your mail folders" button, where all my "real" folders (except "Deleted Messages") are listed.

Sal 

<p>Dear Thomas, </p><p>[quote user="Thomas Nimmesgern"] Before doing so, compare the paths for your "Home mailbox" and your "New mailbox". In Pegasus Mail, "Home mailbox" means the directory in which your local folders are placed, and "New mailbox" is the directory that contains incoming messages you actually expect to be listed in the New Mail folder (i.e. *.cnm-files). You can find those paths-values (for "Home mailbox" and "New mailbox") under "Help" | "About Pegasus Mail..." | "Info..."; the values for "Home mailbox location" and "new mailbox location" often look like "C:\PMAIL.USR\MAIL\Freemail". Often, the directories given there are the same, so incoming messages and your local folders are usually saved in the same directory. Well...if the directories given there differ and you are sure that the should not, then you may have to tell Pegasus Mail teh correct values. Start "pconfig.exe" that you find in the Pegasus Mail program directory (i.e. the directory that "winpm-32.exe" is located in). Choose the "Standalone configuration", given that you have installed Pegasus Mail on a local computer. The next screen lists the two directories I have mentioned, and you can now compare whether their values are identical. Before changing anything, you should write down the current values, so you can re-enter them in case something goes wrong. The values may look like "C:\PMAIL.USR\MAIL\~8" where "~8" is a placeholder for the user names of your current Pegasus Mail installation. If the two entries differ, edit the entry for "New mailbox" (because this is the one that cannot be found, according to your description) and replace that entry by the value you see for "Home mailbox". (Remember: have you written down the setting before changing it? As I am not completely sure that this will help, you should be able to restore the settings in case my advice does not help.) Having edited the values given there, both entries should now be the same. Restart Pegasus Mail and tell us what happened. [/quote]</p><p>I've checked the paths in the pmail.ini, the seem to be correct, so does pcconfig.exe say. Still no "New Mail"-folder (I know, it's only virtual) is shown in the folder list.</p><p>I must add that I can reach my "new mails" by clicking on the "Open or re-scan your new mail folder" button in the toolbar but I don't see it listed in the mail folder list, when I click on the "Work with your mail folders" button, where all my "real" folders (except "Deleted Messages") are listed.</p><p>Sal </p>

Just a quick note that I managed to solve the problem by deleting hierarch.pm (Thanks for the hint, Bob! [:)]) and letting Pmail rebuild a new one... after that everything reappeared, including my "New Mail"-folder and "Deleted Messages" (after deactivating and reactivating the "preserve deleted messages" function the original dustbin-icon reappeared).

So... everything is fine now... except:

My original problem remains: How do I move Pegasus from C:\Pmail to E:\Pmail... because this is, where everything started (when I tried the first time, nothing worked with the new paths so I moved back to the old one).

What about copying the Pmail-folder completely and the use pcconfig.exe to set the new paths?

<p>Just a quick note that I managed to solve the problem by deleting hierarch.pm (Thanks for the hint, Bob! [:)]) and letting Pmail rebuild a new one... after that everything reappeared, including my "New Mail"-folder and "Deleted Messages" (after deactivating and reactivating the "preserve deleted messages" function the original dustbin-icon reappeared).</p><p> So... everything is fine now... except: My original problem remains: How do I move Pegasus from C:\Pmail to E:\Pmail... because this is, where everything started (when I tried the first time, nothing worked with the new paths so I moved back to the old one).</p><p>What about copying the Pmail-folder completely and the use pcconfig.exe to set the new paths?  </p>

[quote user="uergsel"] What about copying the Pmail-folder completely and the use pcconfig.exe to set the new paths? [/quote]

That's the best way of doing it.

<P>[quote user="uergsel"] What about copying the Pmail-folder completely and the use pcconfig.exe to set the new paths? [/quote]</P> <P>That's the best way of doing it.</P>

[quote user="PaulW"][quote user="uergsel"] What about copying the Pmail-folder completely and the use pcconfig.exe to set the new paths? [/quote]That's the best way of doing it.[/quote]

Yup, it worked... so thanks for your patience and help ...

<p>[quote user="PaulW"][quote user="uergsel"] What about copying the Pmail-folder completely and the use pcconfig.exe to set the new paths? [/quote]That's the best way of doing it.[/quote]</p><p>Yup, it worked... so thanks for your patience and help ... </p>

Is there any possibility of keeping deleted messages in the deleted folder for a couple of days even after I have closed Pegasus?

Bernward 

<p>Is there any possibility of keeping deleted messages in the deleted folder for a couple of days even after I have closed Pegasus?</p><p>Bernward </p>

Preferences (ALT+F10), then click on the Advanced menu in the General Options, and enable the check box about Keeping the messages in the trash bin between sessions. (sorry I use the french version so I'm not sure about the exact english wording...)

<p>Preferences (ALT+F10), then click on the Advanced menu in the General Options, and enable the check box about Keeping the messages in the trash bin between sessions. (sorry I use the french version so I'm not sure about the exact english wording...)</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft