Community Discussions and Support
Compressing file folders

Hello!

I saw a similar behaviour in the past for most of my folders, and I still do for a few of them.

Until some weeks ago, compressing my folders took me a long a time (at least, it seemed to me a long time because compressing even a relatively small folder could take 40 seconds or more). Then, I had to buy a new harddrive, re-install Windows and all programs, and moving a data files to the new harddrive. Having finished that, I saw that compressing a Pegasus Mail folder was much faster than before; the new harddrive seems to accelerate almost all disk-related activities - not surprising against the background of the fact that my old harddrive was eight years old and the "new" one is one year old.

Now, I still have some folders for which compressing takes longer than for other ones. Those folders have two things in common: compressing takes longer than for other folders, and displaying the message list takes longer when grouped views are chosen for that folder.
However, I do not know yet what causes the difference between the "slow" and the "fast" folders.

So all I can do is to ask two questions:
(a) Is your harddrive old? (A new harddrive might be faster for folder compressing and other disk access.)
(b) Do the folders that need much time for compressing use grouped views? If so, does listing the messages in grouped views take much time in those folders?

Hello! I saw a similar behaviour in the past for most of my folders, and I still do for a few of them. Until some weeks ago, compressing my folders took me a long a time (at least, it seemed to me a long time because compressing even a relatively small folder could take 40 seconds or more). Then, I had to buy a new harddrive, re-install Windows and all programs, and moving a data files to the new harddrive. Having finished that, I saw that compressing a Pegasus Mail folder was much faster than before; the new harddrive seems to accelerate almost all disk-related activities - not surprising against the background of the fact that my old harddrive was eight years old and the "new" one is one year old. Now, I still have some folders for which compressing takes longer than for other ones. Those folders have two things in common: compressing takes longer than for other folders, and displaying the message list takes longer when grouped views are chosen for that folder. However, I do not know yet what causes the difference between the "slow" and the "fast" folders. So all I can do is to ask two questions: (a) Is your harddrive old? (A new harddrive might be faster for folder compressing and other disk access.) (b) Do the folders that need much time for compressing use grouped views? If so, does listing the messages in grouped views take much time in those folders?

When I delete saved messages from a folder, the folder is compressed when I exit. On a folder with 190 messages, it takes about 2 minutes to compress. None of the messages are large or have large attachments. This seems very long to me. Comments?

When I delete saved messages from a folder, the folder is compressed when I exit. On a folder with 190 messages, it takes about 2 minutes to compress. None of the messages are large or have large attachments. This seems very long to me. Comments?

Yes, that seems like a very long time. I have a spamhalter spam folder with 14,000 messages that doesn't take that long to compress on deletion.

Is there perhaps something on your system that might be interfering with file operations? An anti-virus program, or background file compression utility? Have you got your mailbox on a slow remote drive, or a compressed volume?

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>Yes, that seems like a very long time. I have a spamhalter spam folder with 14,000 messages that doesn't take that long to compress on deletion. Is there perhaps something on your system that might be interfering with file operations? An anti-virus program, or background file compression utility? Have you got your mailbox on a slow remote drive, or a compressed volume? Cheers! -- David --  </p>

I don't have any background file compression utility, but I do use an anti-virus program. Doesn't seem to be active when I compress the files after deleting old messages.

I don't have any background file compression utility, but I do use an anti-virus program. Doesn't seem to be active when I compress the files after deleting old messages.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft