Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus: Seek failure in master file

There is nothing mystical about 2Gb limit. It is the maximum positive number that can be held in a 32 bit integer.    Until you migrate to Windows Vista 64 bit operating system the limit is a hardware architectural limit.

Martin

<p>There is nothing mystical about 2Gb limit. It is the maximum positive number that can be held in a 32 bit integer.    Until you migrate to Windows Vista 64 bit operating system the limit is a hardware architectural limit.</p><p>Martin </p><p> </p>

One of my users has a main folder thats > 2GB.

When he opened a recent mail he's got another mail in the window.

I tried to re-index the main folder a few times, but at compressing I'll always get the message: "Seek failure in master file"  

It is not possible to throw old mails away to get the mainfolder smaller. Anyone who knows how too fix this?

As a work-around I made a new main folder for this user.

--

Teun 

<p>One of my users has a main folder thats > 2GB.</p><p>When he opened a recent mail he's got another mail in the window.</p><p>I tried to re-index the main folder a few times, but at compressing I'll always get the message: "Seek failure in master file"  </p><p>It is not possible to throw old mails away to get the mainfolder smaller. Anyone who knows how too fix this?</p><p>As a work-around I made a new main folder for this user.</p><p>-- </p><p>Teun </p><p> </p>

> One of my users has a main folder thats > 2GB.

First of all I would never want to put 2 GBytes of anything in one folder.  You might have the user look at separating this somehow.

>
> When he opened a recent mail he's got another mail in the window.
>
> I tried to re-index the main folder a few times, but at compressing I'll always get the message: "Seek failure in master file"  
>
> It is not possible to throw old mails away to get the mainfolder smaller. Anyone who knows how too fix this?
>
> As a work-around I made a new main folder for this user.

1.  Move all the messages you want to save to a temp folder and
    delete all the messages in the original folder.

2.  Use the right click "recover deleted space" to remove all
    messages form the folder.

3.  If step 2 works then simply move all of the messages from the
    temp folder back to the original folder and delete the temp
    folder.

4.  If step 2 fails then delete the original folder and rename the
    temp folder to match the original name.  Reset the filter
    pointing to this folder.

> One of my users has a main folder thats > 2GB. First of all I would never want to put 2 GBytes of anything in one folder.  You might have the user look at separating this somehow. > > When he opened a recent mail he's got another mail in the window. > > I tried to re-index the main folder a few times, but at compressing I'll always get the message: "Seek failure in master file"   > > It is not possible to throw old mails away to get the mainfolder smaller. Anyone who knows how too fix this? > > As a work-around I made a new main folder for this user. 1.  Move all the messages you want to save to a temp folder and     delete all the messages in the original folder. 2.  Use the right click "recover deleted space" to remove all     messages form the folder. 3.  If step 2 works then simply move all of the messages from the     temp folder back to the original folder and delete the temp     folder. 4.  If step 2 fails then delete the original folder and rename the     temp folder to match the original name.  Reset the filter     pointing to this folder.

As a last resort, there are a number of people who have utility programs (including myself) that will separate all the messages in a message folder back to individual *.cnm Newmail files. You can then use newmail rules to disperse these messages to folders again.

Martin 

<p>As a last resort, there are a number of people who have utility programs (including myself) that will separate all the messages in a message folder back to individual *.cnm Newmail files. You can then use newmail rules to disperse these messages to folders again.</p><p>Martin </p>

Hi Thomas,

What is the cause of this problem, a 2Gig folder limit ?  Opportunistic Locking being enabled ? or would you say something else ?

I have seen since we moved from hosting our Pegasus/Mercury mail on Novell to Windows 2003 that in number of folders corrupted in this way has defiantly increased.  Do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks for your assistance,

Les Elton

<p>Hi Thomas,</p><p>What is the cause of this problem, a 2Gig folder limit ?  Opportunistic Locking being enabled ? or would you say something else ?</p><p>I have seen since we moved from hosting our Pegasus/Mercury mail on Novell to Windows 2003 that in number of folders corrupted in this way has defiantly increased.  Do you have any suggestions ? </p><p> </p><p>Thanks for your assistance,</p><p>Les Elton  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft