Thomas, I know that the entry is correct, I have used this for some of

my software.  I am a Product Manager for a couple of software products

and have seen this with one of them.  I never thought about it in

relation to this problem.  I'm sure that you are running 4.51 also.  My

setup is basically the same.  Do you have the same parameters in both

machines, or only on the workstation?  I have not studied the effects

other than doing it on the workstation that I am running PMail on, not

the "server".  What settings did you do on which machine?  I am also

using Popfile and ClamAV for Mercury on the server side.

I'm running the oplocks on the workstation only here and I've just disabled the oplocks.  Checkout http://www.tstephenson.com/Pegasus/oplocks.jpg for my settings.  Everything works normally for me with disabled.  I did get a real slowdown when I moved to SP3 on the server and stayed at SP2 on the workstation but that went away when it went to SP3. 

I'm also running the Netware Client 32 since I'm also connecting to a Novell v3.2 system via bindery but I'm not all that sure this means anything in the scheme of things.

<blockquote>Thomas, I know that the entry is correct, I have used this for some of my software.  I am a Product Manager for a couple of software products and have seen this with one of them.  I never thought about it in relation to this problem.  I'm sure that you are running 4.51 also.  My setup is basically the same.  Do you have the same parameters in both machines, or only on the workstation?  I have not studied the effects other than doing it on the workstation that I am running PMail on, not the "server".  What settings did you do on which machine?  I am also using Popfile and ClamAV for Mercury on the server side.</blockquote><p>I'm running the oplocks on the workstation only here and I've just disabled the oplocks.  Checkout <a href="http://www.tstephenson.com/Pegasus/oplocks.jpg" mce_href="http://www.tstephenson.com/Pegasus/oplocks.jpg">http://www.tstephenson.com/Pegasus/oplocks.jpg</a> for my settings.  Everything works normally for me with disabled.  I did get a real slowdown when I moved to SP3 on the server and stayed at SP2 on the workstation but that went away when it went to SP3.  </p><p>I'm also running the Netware Client 32 since I'm also connecting to a Novell v3.2 system via bindery but I'm not all that sure this means anything in the scheme of things.</p><p> </p>

I run Pegasus under WinXP on several machines. The home mailboxes are all on a single machine (running Mercury). The Pegasus machines all have connected to a network drive and access the home mailboxes in that drive.

When deleting multiple messages from the user's inbox, the process is incredibly slow. However, if the "Deleted messages" folder happens to be open, the same deletions happen quite fast.

The same thing happens when moving or copying messages from one folder to another. It the destination folder is not open, it's slow. If the destination folder is open, it goes quite fast.

When I run Pegasus on the machine that contains the mailboxes, the moves are fast, independent of whether the destination folder is open or closed.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

<P>I run Pegasus under WinXP on several machines. The home mailboxes are all on a single machine (running Mercury). The Pegasus machines all have connected to a network drive and access the home mailboxes in that drive.</P> <P>When deleting multiple messages from the user's inbox, the process is incredibly slow. However, if the "Deleted messages" folder happens to be open, the same deletions happen quite fast.</P> <P>The same thing happens when moving or copying messages from one folder to another. It the destination folder is not open, it's slow. If the destination folder is open, it goes quite fast.</P> <P>When I run Pegasus on the machine that contains the mailboxes, the moves are fast, independent of whether the destination folder is open or closed.</P> <P>Can anyone offer any suggestions?</P> <P>Thanks</P>

Are you using IMAP4 or direct access?  This almost sounds like an IMAP4 problem.  Are you sure you did not forget to mention you were using IMAP4?

If this is regular direct access though I'd check out opportunistic locking on the "server".

Here's something you might try using RegEdit.  It's actually very easy to do and for me it fixed the one second pause when working with the mail store on a Win2K type
server.  You need to create a new DWORD OplocksDisabled and then set it to one. You can do this on the Windows server as well to turn off OPLOCKS for all.  

Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;296264

1.     Use REGEDIT and find the following registry entry.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | System | CurrentControlSet | Services | MRXSmb | Parameters

2.    Select Edit | New | DWORD value

3.    Enter OplocksDisabled for the value name and 1 (Disabled) for the value data.  The default is zero (not disabled)

4.    Exit REGEDIT and reboot your system.  

You can also deny the granting of opportunistic locks on the server by setting the DWORD "EnableOplocks" registry entry to value of zero (Disabled) in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | LanmanServer | Parameters

Note  The EnableOplocks value configures Windows-based servers (including Workstations sharing files) to allow or deny opportunistic locks on local files. The default for EnableOplocks is 1 (Enabled).

Are you using IMAP4 or direct access?  This almost sounds like an IMAP4 problem.  Are you sure you did not forget to mention you were using IMAP4? If this is regular direct access though I'd check out opportunistic locking on the "server". Here's something you might try using RegEdit.  It's actually very easy to do and for me it fixed the one second pause when working with the mail store on a Win2K type server.  You need to create a new DWORD OplocksDisabled and then set it to one. You can do this on the Windows server as well to turn off OPLOCKS for all.   Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;296264 1.     Use REGEDIT and find the following registry entry.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | System | CurrentControlSet | Services | MRXSmb | Parameters 2.    Select Edit | New | DWORD value 3.    Enter OplocksDisabled for the value name and 1 (Disabled) for the value data.  The default is zero (not disabled) 4.    Exit REGEDIT and reboot your system.   You can also deny the granting of opportunistic locks on the server by setting the DWORD "EnableOplocks" registry entry to value of zero (Disabled) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | LanmanServer | Parameters Note  The EnableOplocks value configures Windows-based servers (including Workstations sharing files) to allow or deny opportunistic locks on local files. The default for EnableOplocks is 1 (Enabled).

Thanks, Thomas.

It was not an IMAP4 issue - only our WAN user use IMAP4, and this was a problem for the LAN users. Disabling opportunistic locking in the clients, and denying opportunistic locking in the server improved the performance so it's now as fast as it used to be back in the days of Win98.

Thanks again.

<p>Thanks, Thomas.</p><p>It was not an IMAP4 issue - only our WAN user use IMAP4, and this was a problem for the LAN users. Disabling opportunistic locking in the clients, and denying opportunistic locking in the server improved the performance so it's now as fast as it used to be back in the days of Win98.  </p><p>Thanks again.</p><p> </p>

I'm posting this here to make the information available to others that may be having this problem.  Please let me know if there's a better place for it, or [admins] please feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

I've had the exact same behavior, with Pegasus Mail running on WinXP client machines, and the shared files on a Samba 3.0 server (Suse Linux).  (This is Samba-specific, not Suse or Linux specific.)

Rather than entirely turning off opportunistic locking (oplocks) on either the client machines or the server, I turned off oplocks only for the PMail share, and then only for the problematic file extensions.  Oplocks usually speed things up; in this case, however, they do slow things down a lot!

Step 1: Ensure you have a completely separate "share" on the Samba server, only for PMail and/or Mercury.  This is not strictly necessary, but it's a good idea.

Step 2: Assuming the share is called "pmail", edit the server's smb.conf file and add the following lines to the [pmail] section.  (If the share is a different name, change the corresponding appropriate section!)

<tt>[pmail]<br>  veto oplock files = /*.CNM/*.MBX/*.PM/*.PM?/*.PN?/*.cnm/*.mbx/*.pm/*.pm?/*.pn?/*.pm?/*.pn?/<br>  # "veto oplocks" speeds up Pegasus Mail on Win32 A LOT.  PM falls back to hard locks<br>  # and amazingly, it's faster!  We use the veto list and keep oplocks active, because<br>  # other apps may need them and it might be faster for them.<br></tt>

Step 2b: If the server and all clients are on a reliable LAN, add the following line to the [global] section...

<tt>[global]<br>  socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY<br></tt>

Step 3: Save the smb.conf file and exit the editor.

Step 4: Ensure all client machines and all users are disconnected from the server, and that no files or shares are open via Samba (SMB, CIFS, etc.).  (If you don't do this, users will lose data during Step 5!) 

Step 5: Shutdown and restart the smb and nmb services (i.e. smbd and nmbd).  Or just reboot the server.

Step 6: When it comes back up, test Pegasus Mail from a client machine, of course using the network share.  Message moves and deletions should now be fast, regardless of the client's oplock settings.

&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m posting this here to make the information available to others that may be having this problem.&amp;nbsp; Please let me know if there&#039;s a better place for it, or [admins] please feel free to move it to the appropriate place.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve had the exact same behavior, with Pegasus Mail running on WinXP client machines, and the shared files on a Samba 3.0 server (Suse Linux).&amp;nbsp; (This is Samba-specific, not Suse or Linux specific.)&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Rather than entirely turning off opportunistic locking (oplocks) on either the client machines or the server, I turned off oplocks &lt;b&gt;&lt;i&gt;only&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/b&gt; for the PMail share, and then &lt;i&gt;&lt;b&gt;only&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt; for the problematic file extensions.&amp;nbsp; Oplocks &lt;i&gt;usually&lt;/i&gt; speed things up; in this case, however, they do slow things down a &lt;i&gt;lot!&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Step 1: Ensure you have a completely separate &quot;share&quot; on the Samba server, &lt;i&gt;only&lt;/i&gt; for PMail and/or Mercury.&amp;nbsp; This is not strictly necessary, but it&#039;s a good idea.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Step 2: Assuming the share is called &quot;pmail&quot;, edit the server&#039;s &lt;b&gt;smb.conf&lt;/b&gt; file and &lt;u&gt;add&lt;/u&gt; the following lines to the [pmail] section.&amp;nbsp; (If the share is a different name, change the corresponding appropriate section!) &lt;/p&gt; &lt;blockquote&gt; &lt;pre&gt;&lt;tt&gt;[pmail] veto oplock files = /*.CNM/*.MBX/*.PM/*.PM?/*.PN?/*.cnm/*.mbx/*.pm/*.pm?/*.pn?/*.pm?/*.pn?/ # &quot;veto oplocks&quot; speeds up Pegasus Mail on Win32 A LOT. PM falls back to hard locks # and amazingly, it&#039;s faster! We use the veto list and keep oplocks active, because # other apps may need them and it might be faster for them. &lt;/tt&gt;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; &lt;p&gt;Step 2b: If the server and all clients are on a reliable LAN, &lt;u&gt;add&lt;/u&gt; the following line to the [global] section...&lt;/p&gt; &lt;blockquote&gt; &lt;pre&gt;&lt;tt&gt;[global] socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY &lt;/tt&gt;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; &lt;p&gt;Step 3: Save the &lt;b&gt;smb.conf&lt;/b&gt; file and exit the editor. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Step 4: Ensure all client machines and all users are disconnected from the server, and that no files or shares are open via Samba (SMB, CIFS, etc.).&amp;nbsp; (If you don&#039;t do this, users will lose data during Step 5!)&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Step 5: Shutdown and restart the &lt;b&gt;smb &lt;/b&gt;and &lt;b&gt;nmb &lt;/b&gt;services (i.e. &lt;b&gt;smbd &lt;/b&gt;and &lt;b&gt;nmbd&lt;/b&gt;).&amp;nbsp; Or just reboot the server. &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Step 6: When it comes back up, test Pegasus Mail from a client machine, of course using the network share.&amp;nbsp; Message moves and deletions should now be fast, regardless of the client&#039;s oplock settings.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

I was also experiencing this problem also, so I tried just OpLocks on the client.  It works great, except when I create a new email with attachments.  After you Send, it just sits there and nothing seems to happen, however the email is sent.  It does not show in the Sent folder (copies to self) and it is delivered.  It will send it each time you click Send.  After I re-enabled OpLocks, it worked fine again.  I only change the setting on workstation.  I am running v4.51 of PMail and Mercury v4.62.  Both PCs are on a LAN running WinXP Pro.

Any ideas?

Stephen

&lt;p&gt;I was also experiencing this problem also, so I tried just OpLocks on the client.&amp;nbsp; It works great, except when I create a new email with attachments.&amp;nbsp; After you Send, it just sits there and nothing seems to happen, however the email is sent.&amp;nbsp; It does not show in the Sent folder (copies to self) and it is delivered.&amp;nbsp; It will send it each time you click Send.&amp;nbsp; After I re-enabled OpLocks, it worked fine again.&amp;nbsp; I only change the setting on workstation.&amp;nbsp; I am running v4.51 of PMail and Mercury v4.62.&amp;nbsp; Both PCs are on a LAN running WinXP Pro.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any ideas?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Stephen &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="StephenKovacsiss"]

I was also experiencing this problem also, so I tried just OpLocks on the client.  It works great, except when I create a new email with attachments.  After you Send, it just sits there and nothing seems to happen, however the email is sent.  It does not show in the Sent folder (copies to self) and it is delivered.  It will send it each time you click Send.  After I re-enabled OpLocks, it worked fine again.  I only change the setting on workstation.  I am running v4.51 of PMail and Mercury v4.62.  Both PCs are on a LAN running WinXP Pro.

Any ideas?

Not at all sure what is happening except to say maybe you did something wrong with the oplocks registry setup. I've had them turned off since I got this Dell system and have never see any affect at all on the built-in mailer.  This Dell WinXP Pro SP3 system is talking to another HP WinXP MCE SP3 system as the server on the LAN.  Both the PMail directories and Mercury/32 are on the server.

Stephen

[/quote]
[quote user=&quot;StephenKovacsiss&quot;]&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;I was also experiencing this problem also, so I tried just OpLocks on the client.&amp;nbsp; It works great, except when I create a new email with attachments.&amp;nbsp; After you Send, it just sits there and nothing seems to happen, however the email is sent.&amp;nbsp; It does not show in the Sent folder (copies to self) and it is delivered.&amp;nbsp; It will send it each time you click Send.&amp;nbsp; After I re-enabled OpLocks, it worked fine again.&amp;nbsp; I only change the setting on workstation.&amp;nbsp; I am running v4.51 of PMail and Mercury v4.62.&amp;nbsp; Both PCs are on a LAN running WinXP Pro.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any ideas?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Not at all sure what is happening except to say maybe you did something wrong with the oplocks registry setup. I&#039;ve had them turned off since I got this Dell system and have never see any affect at all on the built-in mailer.&amp;nbsp; This Dell WinXP Pro SP3 system is talking to another HP WinXP MCE SP3 system as the server on the LAN.&amp;nbsp; Both the PMail directories and Mercury/32 are on the server. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Stephen &lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;[/quote]

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

Not at all sure what is happening except to say maybe you did something wrong with the oplocks registry setup. I've had them turned off since I got this Dell system and have never see any affect at all on the built-in mailer.  This Dell WinXP Pro SP3 system is talking to another HP WinXP MCE SP3 system as the server on the LAN.  Both the PMail directories and Mercury/32 are on the server.
[/quote]

Thomas, I know that the entry is correct, I have used this for some of my software.  I am a Product Manager for a couple of software products and have seen this with one of them.  I never thought about it in relation to this problem.  I'm sure that you are running 4.51 also.  My setup is basically the same.  Do you have the same parameters in both machines, or only on the workstation?  I have not studied the effects other than doing it on the workstation that I am running PMail on, not the "server".  What settings did you do on which machine?  I am also using Popfile and ClamAV for Mercury on the server side.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Not at all sure what is happening except to say maybe you did something wrong with the oplocks registry setup. I&#039;ve had them turned off since I got this Dell system and have never see any affect at all on the built-in mailer.&amp;nbsp; This Dell WinXP Pro SP3 system is talking to another HP WinXP MCE SP3 system as the server on the LAN.&amp;nbsp; Both the PMail directories and Mercury/32 are on the server. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thomas, I know that the entry is correct, I have used this for some of my software.&amp;nbsp; I am a Product Manager for a couple of software products and have seen this with one of them.&amp;nbsp; I never thought about it in relation to this problem.&amp;nbsp; I&#039;m sure that you are running 4.51 also.&amp;nbsp; My setup is basically the same.&amp;nbsp; Do you have the same parameters in both machines, or only on the workstation?&amp;nbsp; I have not studied the effects other than doing it on the workstation that I am running PMail on, not the &quot;server&quot;.&amp;nbsp; What settings did you do on which machine?&amp;nbsp; I am also using Popfile and ClamAV for Mercury on the server side.&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft