Community Discussions and Support
Can't download emails with large attachments

Here is what worked for me: Tools/Internet options/Edit/Timeout

by default it is 15 seconds. Increase it to 150. It worked for me. 

<p>Here is what worked for me: Tools/Internet options/Edit/Timeout</p><p>by default it is 15 seconds. Increase it to 150. It worked for me. </p>

I don't know when this changed but for a while I haven't been able to download emails with attachments of over 3-4 MB. Pegasus times out and then prevents me from getting any other email in the cue. This didn't used to be a problem as I could download 20 MB emails.

When I have this problem now I get my email in Thunderbird without a problem.

Any suggestions 

Thanks,

Tim Elston 

<p>I don't know when this changed but for a while I haven't been able to download emails with attachments of over 3-4 MB. Pegasus times out and then prevents me from getting any other email in the cue. This didn't used to be a problem as I could download 20 MB emails.</p><p> When I have this problem now I get my email in Thunderbird without a problem. </p><p> </p><p>Any suggestions </p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Tim Elston </p>

1.    Check the timeout settings in the File | Network configuration | (Receiving)POP3, you should increase them to about 120 seconds.

2.    When you have the download problem  Go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"  

Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any username and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ]

You can now try again to receive the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.

1.    Check the timeout settings in the File | Network configuration | (Receiving)POP3, you should increase them to about 120 seconds. 2.    When you have the download problem  Go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"   Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any username and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ] You can now try again to receive the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.

So I have a large 10 MB attachment sitting on the server.

I went through the TCP001.WPM file. What I found going through the Internet Options was that there are two places for the default network connection timeout.

The first one is under the Internet Options General tab and the second one is by clicking on the Receiving tab and selecting the POP3 host and then clicking the edit button. Found the default Network Connection under the second location was set at 30 seconds. 

Why are there two locations for the same parameter?

Thanks,
Tim

<p>So I have a large 10 MB attachment sitting on the server.</p><p>I went through the TCP001.WPM file. What I found going through the Internet Options was that there are two places for the default network connection timeout.</p><p>  The first one is under the Internet Options General tab and the second one is by clicking on the Receiving tab and selecting the POP3 host and then clicking the edit button. Found the default Network Connection under the second location was set at 30 seconds. </p><p>Why are there two locations for the same parameter?</p><p>Thanks, Tim </p>

One is a default setting, the other is specific to a particular entry. This means that if you have one host that is very slow to respond, you can give it an explicit timeout longer than the default.

This is covered in some detail in the help file:

Default timeout for network connections - This controls how long Pegasus Mail should wait for responses from remote computers before deciding that there has been a connection failure and giving up: click here for more information. Please note that this default setting is only used when your POP3 or SMTP definitions themselves have their own timeout values set to 0: if you set a non-zero timeout in any definition you create for Internet mail, that value will take precedence over the default value defined in this window.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>One is a default setting, the other is specific to a particular entry. This means that if you have one host that is very slow to respond, you can give it an explicit timeout longer than the default. This is covered in some detail in the help file: </p><blockquote><i><font color="#0000ff">Default timeout for network connections</font></i> - This controls how long Pegasus Mail should wait for responses from remote computers before deciding that there has been a connection failure and giving up: click here for more information. Please note that this default setting is only used when your POP3 or SMTP definitions themselves have their own timeout values set to 0: if you set a non-zero timeout in any definition you create for Internet mail, that value will take precedence over the default value defined in this window. </blockquote><p>Cheers! -- David --  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft