Community Discussions and Support
Filtering Incoming mail

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Have you looked at the "Autofiltering" to do this?[/quote]

Yes, I have read this part of the manual, but this feature offers only one kind of filtering — thread-based, while I need "Expression" rules (just as you have suggested) to detect the pop3-account (or address) the message has been sent to (I already know it's the "Delivered to" field in the Raw view).

The best thing I see so far is to convert my "On open" rules into "On close" ones and read all new mail while in the "New mail" folder, letting it be filtered after it having been read. 

Anton

P.S.:The most annoying limit (to me) is that PMail doesn't update the 'visible' contents of its folders until they are clicked on (Even the "New mail" folder gets refreshed only after clicking on it.

<p>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Have you looked at the "Autofiltering" to do this?[/quote]</p><p>Yes, I have read this part of the manual, but this feature offers only one kind of filtering — thread-based, while I need "Expression" rules (just as you have suggested) to detect the pop3-account (or address) the message has been sent to (I already know it's the "Delivered to" field in the Raw view).</p><p>The best thing I see so far is to convert my "On open" rules into "On close" ones and read all new mail while in the "New mail" folder, letting it be filtered after it having been read. </p><p>Anton</p><p>P.S.:The most annoying limit (to me) is that PMail doesn't update the 'visible' contents of its folders until they are clicked on (Even the "New mail" folder gets refreshed only after clicking on it.</p>

Hello all,

I have two (can be more) POP3 accounts set up, and I want to separate incoming mail into folders, one per POP3 account. What I have done is create tow "On open" rules that put messages into folders depending of the "To" field which is not sufficient, because mailing lists and redirected messages have a "To" field different from my e-mail address. So the first question is, how to determine (rule-wise) the mail address a message came to.

In addition, there's a usability issue. When I get a notification of new mail it says: "New mail folder — 3 messages", and I don't know from which POP3 account they have been gotten. Furthermore, to read new mail I have to:

1. Click on the "New Mail" folder to have the messages actually appear and be filtered into the right folders

2. Go to the individual folders to read the messages.

Yes, I might make my rules "On close", so that I could read new mail in the New Mail folder, but what I want is to have new mail dispatched between folders on reception, without my having to click on folders to trigger the rules. I want to go to PMail and see new mail already in the right folders. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance to everybody,

Anton 

<p>Hello all,</p><p> I have two (can be more) POP3 accounts set up, and I want to separate incoming mail into folders, one per POP3 account. What I have done is create tow "On open" rules that put messages into folders depending of the "To" field which is not sufficient, because mailing lists and redirected messages have a "To" field different from my e-mail address. So the first question is, how to determine (rule-wise) the mail address a message came to.</p><p>In addition, there's a usability issue. When I get a notification of new mail it says: "New mail folder — 3 messages", and I don't know from which POP3 account they have been gotten. Furthermore, to read new mail I have to:</p><p>1. Click on the "New Mail" folder to have the messages actually appear and be filtered into the right folders</p><p>2. Go to the individual folders to read the messages.</p><p>Yes, I might make my rules "On close", so that I could read new mail in the New Mail folder, but what I want is to have new mail dispatched between folders on reception, without my having to click on folders to trigger the rules. I want to go to PMail and see new mail already in the right folders. Is it possible?</p><p>Thanks in advance to everybody,</p><p>Anton </p>

> I have two (can be more) POP3 accounts set up, and I want to separate incoming mail into folders, one per POP3 account. What I have done is
> create tow "On open" rules that put messages into folders depending of the "To" field which is not sufficient, because mailing lists and
> redirected messages have a "To" field different from my e-mail address. So the first question is, how to determine (rule-wise) the
> mail address a message came to.

You have to go into the raw view and find a header that contains either the e-mail address or POP3 host name that can be used in a "expression" new mail filter.  This will ensure that the mail is moved to the folder when received and not stay in the new mail folder.

> In addition, there's a usability issue. When I get a notification of new mail it says: "New mail folder - 3 messages", and I don't know
> from which POP3 account they have been gotten. Furthermore, to read new mail I have to:

The folder containing the new mail should be highlighted in green showing unread mail in the folder when you open Pegasus Mail.

> 1. Click on the "New Mail" folder to have the messages appear the be filtered into the right folders
>
> 2. Go to the individual folders to actually read the messages.

> Yes, I might make my rules "On close", so that I could read new mail in the New Mail folder, but what I want is to have new mail dispatched
> between folders on reception, without my having to click on folders to trigger the rules. I want to go to PMail and see new mail already in
> the right folders. Is it possible?

> I have two (can be more) POP3 accounts set up, and I want to separate incoming mail into folders, one per POP3 account. What I have done is > create tow "On open" rules that put messages into folders depending of the "To" field which is not sufficient, because mailing lists and > redirected messages have a "To" field different from my e-mail address. So the first question is, how to determine (rule-wise) the > mail address a message came to. You have to go into the raw view and find a header that contains either the e-mail address or POP3 host name that can be used in a "expression" new mail filter.  This will ensure that the mail is moved to the folder when received and not stay in the new mail folder. > In addition, there's a usability issue. When I get a notification of new mail it says: "New mail folder - 3 messages", and I don't know > from which POP3 account they have been gotten. Furthermore, to read new mail I have to: The folder containing the new mail should be highlighted in green showing unread mail in the folder when you open Pegasus Mail. > 1. Click on the "New Mail" folder to have the messages appear the be filtered into the right folders > > 2. Go to the individual folders to actually read the messages. > Yes, I might make my rules "On close", so that I could read new mail in the New Mail folder, but what I want is to have new mail dispatched > between folders on reception, without my having to click on folders to trigger the rules. I want to go to PMail and see new mail already in > the right folders. Is it possible?

Thank you for your reply, Thomas. 

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]The folder containing the new mail should be highlighted in green showing unread mail in the folder when you open Pegasus Mail.[/quote]

Yes, it indeed works this way when I start the application, but the folders are not refreshed when I restore Pegasus Mail from the Tray (after having a got a pop-up notification), for which reason I have to do the redundant clicks (to trigger the "On open" rules)...

That is, I open PMail and see everything unchanged. Then I click the New Mail folder thereby causing the new messages appear there for a moment (the folder turning green) and then get filtered into the specific folder (as per one of my "On open" rules).

Anton

<p>Thank you for your reply, Thomas. </p><p>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; ">The folder containing the new mail should be highlighted in green showing unread mail in the folder when you open Pegasus Mail.<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">[/quote]</span></span></p><p>Yes, it indeed works this way when I start the application, but the folders are not refreshed when I restore Pegasus Mail from the Tray (after having a got a pop-up notification), for which reason I have to do the redundant clicks (to trigger the "On open" rules)...</p><p>That is, I open PMail and see everything unchanged. Then I click the New Mail folder thereby causing the new messages appear there for a moment (the folder turning green) and then get filtered into the specific folder (as per one of my "On open" rules).</p><p> Anton</p>

> That is, I open PMail and see everything unchanged. Then I click the New Mail folder thereby causing the new messages appear there for a
> moment (the folder turning green) and then get filtered into the specific folder (as per one of my "On open" rules).

Have you looked at the "Autofiltering" to do this?  

Autofiltering folders

Autofiltering is a simple way of organizing your mail into "conversations". Put simply, if you move or copy a message into a folder that has autofiltering enabled, that folder will subsequently automatically gather all the messages you receive from the sender of that message, and all the messages you send to that person. Being able to see both what you've received and sent in order allows you to read your correspondence with that person as if it were an ongoing conversation.

Any folder can be made an autofiltering folder - even public or system-wide folders. To enable autofiltering for a folder, simply right-click it in the folder list, and choose Autofiltering configured from the Autofiltering submenu. This prepares the folder for autofiltering: any folder that has been prepared in this way will show a check mark in the submenu, and will display a special folder icon in the list of folders.

> That is, I open PMail and see everything unchanged. Then I click the New Mail folder thereby causing the new messages appear there for a > moment (the folder turning green) and then get filtered into the specific folder (as per one of my "On open" rules). Have you looked at the "Autofiltering" to do this?   Autofiltering folders Autofiltering is a simple way of organizing your mail into "conversations". Put simply, if you move or copy a message into a folder that has autofiltering enabled, that folder will subsequently automatically gather all the messages you receive from the sender of that message, and all the messages you send to that person. Being able to see both what you've received and sent in order allows you to read your correspondence with that person as if it were an ongoing conversation. Any folder can be made an autofiltering folder - even public or system-wide folders. To enable autofiltering for a folder, simply right-click it in the folder list, and choose Autofiltering configured from the Autofiltering submenu. This prepares the folder for autofiltering: any folder that has been prepared in this way will show a check mark in the submenu, and will display a special folder icon in the list of folders.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft