Community Discussions and Support
What Spec Machine do you have Mercury on ?

Mercury NLM 1.48, Netware 4.20, Pegasus Mail 4.41 NDS Mode, NPEG 2.06, GETMAIL 0.41

2 domains, SpamAssassin 3.1.7 on a smart host (internet provider), less than 1000 Emails every day,

original Pentium 150 MHz, 208 MB RAM,

System on IBM 8 GB SCSI HD (at Compaq EISA SE-Wide-SCSI Controller), Mailboxes RAID5-Array,

System setup 06-05-1996, works also as File- and FTP-Server ftp.ifhe.de (workday, working hours CET+1), never touch a running system... ;-)

<P>Mercury NLM 1.48, Netware 4.20, Pegasus Mail 4.41 NDS Mode, NPEG 2.06, GETMAIL 0.41</P> <P>2 domains, <FONT size=2>SpamAssassin <FONT size=2>3.1.7 </FONT>on a smart host (internet provider), less than 1000 Emails every day,</FONT></P> <P>original Pentium 150 MHz, 208 MB RAM, </P> <P>System on IBM 8 GB SCSI HD (at Compaq EISA SE-Wide-SCSI Controller), Mailboxes RAID5-Array, </P> <P>System setup 06-05-1996, works also as File- and FTP-Server <A href="ftp://ftp.ifhe.de/">ftp.ifhe.de</A> (workday, working hours CET+1), never touch a running system... ;-)</P>

Just out of curiosity what spec machine do others have Mercury running on ??

Mine:

AMD Athlon 4 1600+ (1.4Ghz)

1GB Ram / 40GB Hard Disk

Windows 2003 Server (Local test server) ASP, PHP, MySQL, IIS

4 domains running on Mercury. With SpamAssasin and BitDefender

<P>Just out of curiosity what spec machine do others have Mercury running on ??</P> <P>Mine:</P> <P>AMD Athlon 4 1600+ (1.4Ghz)</P> <P>1GB Ram / 40GB Hard Disk</P> <P>Windows 2003 Server (Local test server) ASP, PHP, MySQL, IIS</P> <P>4 domains running on Mercury. With SpamAssasin and BitDefender</P>

See thread: http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/46.aspx

in more details: PIII, with 256MB RAM, scsi-discs, mirrored holding some 800+ accounts and about 30 email lists, and about 100+ domains, Running W2K3 with SP2 and nothing else but Mercury and DNS.

Second server is a virtual server 2005R2, running W2K3 with 356 MB RAM.

<P>See thread: <A href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/46.aspx">http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/46.aspx</A></P> <P>in more details: PIII, with 256MB RAM, scsi-discs, mirrored holding some 800+ accounts and about 30 email lists, and about 100+ domains, Running W2K3 with SP2 and nothing else but Mercury and DNS.</P> <P>Second server is a virtual server 2005R2, running W2K3 with 356 MB RAM.</P>

I run Mercury/32 on Win32 Workstations.  Currently I'm using an HP Pavilion Athlon +3800 w/2 GBytes RAM and 160 MByte Hard drive. Also run MySQL, PHP4. Apache, and Squirrelmail on my tstephenson.com system.  I've run Mercury/32 on a Win95 PII 64 MBytes ram without all the other garbage and it worked just fine.  ;-)

I run Mercury/32 on Win32 Workstations.  Currently I'm using an HP Pavilion Athlon +3800 w/2 GBytes RAM and 160 MByte Hard drive. Also run MySQL, PHP4. Apache, and Squirrelmail on my tstephenson.com system.  I've run Mercury/32 on a Win95 PII 64 MBytes ram without all the other garbage and it worked just fine.  ;-)

Mine is a PIII 866Mhz, with 256Mb Ram with Win2kPro SP4.

Running the XAMPP package (M/32 excluded)

Separate install of M/32 (4.5)

(Occasionally trying to D/L something with Emule on this as well)

<p>Mine is a PIII 866Mhz, with 256Mb Ram with Win2kPro SP4.</p> <p>Running the XAMPP package (M/32 excluded)</p> <p>Separate install of M/32 (4.5)</p> <p>(Occasionally trying to D/L something with Emule on this as well)</p> <p mce_keep="true"> </p>

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

See thread: http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/46.aspx

in more details: PIII, with 256MB RAM, scsi-discs, mirrored holding some 800+ accounts and about 30 email lists, and about 100+ domains, Running W2K3 with SP2 and nothing else but Mercury and DNS.

Second server is a virtual server 2005R2, running W2K3 with 356 MB RAM.

[/quote]

May be a silly question...
But how do you manage email for 100+ domains using Mercury ?

I though if you created a user account, the that user would apply to all domains !

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]<p>See thread: <a href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/46.aspx" mce_href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/46.aspx">http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/46.aspx</a></p> <p>in more details: PIII, with 256MB RAM, scsi-discs, mirrored holding some 800+ accounts and about 30 email lists, and about 100+ domains, Running W2K3 with SP2 and nothing else but Mercury and DNS.</p> <p>Second server is a virtual server 2005R2, running W2K3 with 356 MB RAM.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>May be a silly question... But how do you manage email for 100+ domains using Mercury ?</p><p>I though if you created a user account, the that user would apply to all domains !  </p>

[quote user="tomt"]But how do you manage email for 100+ domains using Mercury ?
I though if you created a user account, the that user would apply to all domains ![/quote]

Absolutely not a silly question.
We compose the mailboxes as mXXXX###, where XXXX is the customer number, and ### is a running ID. Using this as email addresses makes very little sense, though you're correct, any domain hosted on each instance of Mercury can use this combination as a valid address. We do not expose this to the end-users, we expose all through aliases. Sure this fact is somewhat a thorn in the eye, but it is merely a technical problem - until some vicked person decides to abuse our system. The alias is composed as the customer wants the address or adresses formed. Some prefer initials, some other have full names etc. By doing this scenario, it is very easy to explain that a mailbox (referred to as a maildrop in the RFCs) can host any number of addresses, just as a traditional mailbox along the road. We also use the aliases for off-site routes, aka relays, with valid local domain address, routing the mesage off host. It also makes it easy to connect several customer domains into just one maildrop. It is very popular here to have domains under .se, .eu, .com and so forth, having them all point to the same maildrop for each individual.

When a customer wants a mailing list, for ex. info@domain.com routed to a party of three, we do set this up as a mailing list. Naming the list as XXXX.info (where XXXX again is the customer number) with real address XXXX.info@domain.com and do set up an alias relaying info@domain.com to XXXX.info@domain.com.

All information is handled in a separate database accesible over the web, connects domains to the customer, settin up DNS, maildrops, passwords, autoreplies etc. All is synched through separate synchronizing programs, the Pascal source for one of them (a somewhat older version) is downloadable from this site.

Hope this answered your questions, if not fire away.

[quote user="tomt"]But how do you manage email for 100+ domains using Mercury ? I though if you created a user account, the that user would apply to all domains ![/quote] <P>Absolutely not a silly question. We compose the mailboxes as mXXXX###, where XXXX is the customer number, and ### is a running ID. Using this as email addresses makes very little sense, though you're correct, any domain hosted on each instance of Mercury can use this combination as a valid address. We do not expose this to the end-users, we expose all through aliases. Sure this fact is somewhat a thorn in the eye, but it is merely a technical problem - until some vicked person decides to abuse our system. The alias is composed as the customer wants the address or adresses formed. Some prefer initials, some other have full names etc. By doing this scenario, it is very easy to explain that a mailbox (referred to as a maildrop in the RFCs) can host any number of addresses, just as a traditional mailbox along the road. We also use the aliases for off-site routes, aka relays, with valid local domain address, routing the mesage off host. It also makes it easy to connect several customer domains into just one maildrop. It is very popular here to have domains under .se, .eu, .com and so forth, having them all point to the same maildrop for each individual.</P> <P>When a customer wants a mailing list, for ex. <A href="mailto:info@domain.com">info@domain.com</A> routed to a party of three, we do set this up as a mailing list. Naming the list as XXXX.info (where XXXX again is the customer number) with real address <A href="mailto:XXXX.info@domain.com">XXXX.info@domain.com</A> and do set up an alias relaying <A href="mailto:info@domain.com">info@domain.com</A> to <A href="mailto:XXXX.info@domain.com">XXXX.info@domain.com</A>.</P> <P>All information is handled in a separate database accesible over the web, connects domains to the customer, settin up DNS, maildrops, passwords, autoreplies etc. All is synched through separate synchronizing programs, the Pascal source for one of them (a somewhat older version) is downloadable from this site.</P> <P>Hope this answered your questions, if not fire away.</P>

1GHz Pentium with 1G RAM and Windows XP.  It is running, M32, Apache, Filezilla Server, Squirrelmail, and several other items without any problems.

Stephen 

<p>1GHz Pentium with 1G RAM and Windows XP.  It is running, M32, Apache, Filezilla Server, Squirrelmail, and several other items without any problems.</p><p> Stephen </p>

Dual PIII 500 with 4gig ram.  Running 2k advanced server.

Dual PIII 500 with 4gig ram.  Running 2k advanced server.

Thanks Peter, never thought of setting things up that way !!

Thanks Peter, never thought of setting things up that way !!

1GHz P3, 1GB RAM, NT4 SP6a, dual SCSI U160 HD's, Mercury v4.51, POPFile, ClamAV & Clamwall, DeveloperSide SSL enabled Apache2, PHP,MySQL web package, IlohaMail.

1GHz P3, 1GB RAM, NT4 SP6a, dual SCSI U160 HD's, Mercury v4.51, POPFile, ClamAV & Clamwall, DeveloperSide SSL enabled Apache2, PHP,MySQL web package, IlohaMail.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft