Community Discussions and Support
PMail doesn't open

[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"]

Ok, step two might be a problem in either state.pmj or hierarch.pm:

Try the following procedure.  This works to restore the functionality of the  message folders or to recover from a system crash: 

1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to determine your mail
    directory.  Exit Pegasus mail. 

2.  Rename the file HIERARCH.PM in your HOME mail directory to
    HIERARCH.SAV. 

3.  Run WinPMail.  Your HIERARCH.PM will be re-created and
    should start working correctly. 

Be advised that this may delete any tree structure you have created and may have to be recreated. 

If it still doesn't open, do the above for state.pmj as well.

[/quote]

Hi there.

I have been having this problem with a handful of users over the past few weeks and just wanted to let you know that the above solution resolved the issue for me.

Thanks,

Dan.

[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"] <P>Ok, step two might be a problem in either state.pmj or hierarch.pm:</P> <P>Try the following procedure.  This works to restore the functionality of the  message folders or to recover from a system crash:  1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to determine your mail     directory.  Exit Pegasus mail.  2.  Rename the file HIERARCH.PM in your HOME mail directory to     HIERARCH.SAV.  3.  Run WinPMail.  Your HIERARCH.PM will be re-created and     should start working correctly.  Be advised that this may delete any tree structure you have created and may have to be recreated.  If it still doesn't open, do the above for state.pmj as well.</P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P> Hi there.</P> <P>I have been having this problem with a handful of users over the past few weeks and just wanted to let you know that the above solution resolved the issue for me.</P> <P> Thanks,</P> <P>Dan.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

This morning, a few minutes after double clicking the Pegasus icon on

my desktop and typing in my username, an error message appeared with

the heading "Pegasus Mail:  Winpm-32.exe - Application Error" and

stating "The instruction at ''0x005038b1'' referenced memory at

''0x595a4f59''. The memory could not be ''read''. "It gives me the

option to either terminate the program by clicking on OK or debug the

program by clicking on Cancel, but whatever I click on it closes the

program. I've tried to restart my computer, as well as close down my

computer completely, but I can't get PMail to open. Help!!!

This morning, a few minutes after double clicking the Pegasus icon on my desktop and typing in my username, an error message appeared with the heading "Pegasus Mail:  Winpm-32.exe - Application Error" and stating "The instruction at ''0x005038b1'' referenced memory at ''0x595a4f59''. The memory could not be ''read''. "It gives me the option to either terminate the program by clicking on OK or debug the program by clicking on Cancel, but whatever I click on it closes the program. I've tried to restart my computer, as well as close down my computer completely, but I can't get PMail to open. Help!!!

[quote user="marandy"]This morning, a few minutes after double clicking the Pegasus icon on

my desktop and typing in my username, an error message appeared with

the heading "Pegasus Mail:  Winpm-32.exe - Application Error" and

stating "The instruction at ''0x005038b1'' referenced memory at

''0x595a4f59''. The memory could not be ''read''. "It gives me the

option to either terminate the program by clicking on OK or debug the

program by clicking on Cancel, but whatever I click on it closes the

program. I've tried to restart my computer, as well as close down my

computer completely, but I can't get PMail to open. Help!!!
[/quote]

Although I have no idea why this error is generated, I suggest to do the following which MIGHT solve the problem:

- Find the Home Mailbox location (eg where hierarch.pm is located ao)

- Move all *.cnm files out of that directory to a save place (cnm files are new mails)

- Restart Pegasus Mail, which now should open

- Move each cnm file back into the home mailbox location, one at a time. The one that makes Pegasus Mail crash should be deleted, it's most likely spam anyway.

Just report back please. 

<p>[quote user="marandy"]This morning, a few minutes after double clicking the Pegasus icon on my desktop and typing in my username, an error message appeared with the heading "Pegasus Mail:  Winpm-32.exe - Application Error" and stating "The instruction at ''0x005038b1'' referenced memory at ''0x595a4f59''. The memory could not be ''read''. "It gives me the option to either terminate the program by clicking on OK or debug the program by clicking on Cancel, but whatever I click on it closes the program. I've tried to restart my computer, as well as close down my computer completely, but I can't get PMail to open. Help!!! [/quote]</p><p>Although I have no idea why this error is generated, I suggest to do the following which MIGHT solve the problem:</p><p>- Find the Home Mailbox location (eg where hierarch.pm is located ao)</p><p>- Move all *.cnm files out of that directory to a save place (cnm files are new mails) </p><p>- Restart Pegasus Mail, which now should open</p><p>- Move each cnm file back into the home mailbox location, one at a time. The one that makes Pegasus Mail crash should be deleted, it's most likely spam anyway.</p><p>Just report back please. </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Since I have literally thousands of CNM files in that directory, and

since there was no problem with the program up until the morning of the

4th, I only moved the most recent files and that didn't do any good.

Since

the message's title or header is "winpm-32.exe - Application Error" is

it possible that the winpm file got corrupted somehow and, if so, what

can I do about it?

TIA

Marianne 

<p>Since I have literally thousands of CNM files in that directory, and since there was no problem with the program up until the morning of the 4th, I only moved the most recent files and that didn't do any good.</p><p>Since the message's title or header is "winpm-32.exe - Application Error" is it possible that the winpm file got corrupted somehow and, if so, what can I do about it?</p><p> </p><p> TIA</p><p>Marianne </p>

[quote user="marandy"]Since I have literally thousands of CNM files in that directory, and

since there was no problem with the program up until the morning of the

4th, I only moved the most recent files and that didn't do any good.

Since

the message's title or header is "winpm-32.exe - Application Error" is

it possible that the winpm file got corrupted somehow and, if so, what

can I do about it?[/quote]

I can't find any precise match for that error message online, although "the memory cannot be read" seems to be a not-uncommon message, usually in connection with IE:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=en&q=%22The+memory+could+not+be+read%22&btnG=Search

Can you state which version of Windows you're using in case that's relevant? I hope someone who knows more than me will pass this way soon. In the meantime, I'd suggest if you haven't already backed-up your mail you do that, just as a general precautionary measure.

[quote user="marandy"]Since I have literally thousands of CNM files in that directory, and since there was no problem with the program up until the morning of the 4th, I only moved the most recent files and that didn't do any good.<P>Since the message's title or header is "winpm-32.exe - Application Error" is it possible that the winpm file got corrupted somehow and, if so, what can I do about it?[/quote]</P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P><P>I can't find any precise match for that error message online, although "the memory cannot be read" seems to be a not-uncommon message, usually in connection with IE:</P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P><P>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=en&q=%22The+memory+could+not+be+read%22&btnG=Search</P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P><P>Can you state which version of Windows you're using in case that's relevant? I hope someone who knows more than me will pass this way soon. In the meantime, I'd suggest if you haven't already backed-up your mail you do that, just as a general precautionary measure.</P>

This is a good solution to what I find to be a recurring problem. I'm not sure if what marandy reports is exactly the same, but from time to time new mail messages make my Pegasus (and other copies that I've seen) crash at 'applying new mail filtering rules'. If you can still open Pegasus, disabling the (otherwise wonderful) Content Control is generally enough.

Is there any possibility of an improved error handler here?

<p>This is a good solution to what I find to be a recurring problem. I'm not sure if what marandy reports is exactly the same, but from time to time new mail messages make my Pegasus (and other copies that I've seen) crash at 'applying new mail filtering rules'. If you can still open Pegasus, disabling the (otherwise wonderful) Content Control is generally enough. </p><p>Is there any possibility of an improved error handler here?  </p>

. I've tried, as Hans suggeseted, removing all the CNM files to a safe place and THEN opening Pegasus -- it still doesn't open and I get the same error message! I can read my mail on-line on my server's site and, as you hopefully can see, even reply, but I can't of course, access any of my folders, my address books etc. Any more ideas, anyone?

Marianne, reporting back.

<P>. I've tried, as Hans suggeseted, removing all the CNM files to a safe place and THEN opening Pegasus -- it still doesn't open and I get the same error message! I can read my mail on-line on my server's site and, as you hopefully can see, even reply, but I can't of course, access any of my folders, my address books etc. Any more ideas, anyone? </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Marianne, reporting back.</P>

[quote user="marandy"]

I've tried, as Hans suggeseted, removing all the CNM files to a safe place and THEN opening Pegasus -- it still doesn't open and I get the same error message! I can read my mail on-line on my server's site and, as you hopefully can see, even reply, but I can't of course, access any of my folders, my address books etc. Any more ideas, anyone?

Marianne, reporting back.[/quote]

Ok, step two might be a problem in either state.pmj or hierarch.pm:

Try the following procedure.  This works to restore the functionality of the  message folders or to recover from a system crash: 

1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to determine your mail
    directory.  Exit Pegasus mail. 

2.  Rename the file HIERARCH.PM in your HOME mail directory to
    HIERARCH.SAV. 

3.  Run WinPMail.  Your HIERARCH.PM will be re-created and
    should start working correctly. 

Be advised that this may delete any tree structure you have created and may have to be recreated. 

If it still doesn't open, do the above for state.pmj as well.

[quote user="marandy"] <p mce_keep="true">I've tried, as Hans suggeseted, removing all the CNM files to a safe place and THEN opening Pegasus -- it still doesn't open and I get the same error message! I can read my mail on-line on my server's site and, as you hopefully can see, even reply, but I can't of course, access any of my folders, my address books etc. Any more ideas, anyone? </p> <p>Marianne, reporting back.[/quote]</p><p>Ok, step two might be a problem in either state.pmj or hierarch.pm:</p><p>Try the following procedure.  This works to restore the functionality of the  message folders or to recover from a system crash:  1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to determine your mail     directory.  Exit Pegasus mail.  2.  Rename the file HIERARCH.PM in your HOME mail directory to     HIERARCH.SAV.  3.  Run WinPMail.  Your HIERARCH.PM will be re-created and     should start working correctly.  Be advised that this may delete any tree structure you have created and may have to be recreated.  If it still doesn't open, do the above for state.pmj as well.</p><p>  </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

I have found 2 files named hierarch.pm

One is in PMAIL/marandy, is 8 kb and is dated Oct. 9, 2003 and the other one is in

PMAIL/MAIL/marandy, is 23 kb and is dated the date I stopped being able to open Pegasus.

I have also found no fewer than 6 files named state.pmj, two in each of my identities --

one in PMAIL/identity and one in PMAIL/MAIL/ identity

In THESE files too both the dates and sizes of the ones in the only identity I still use

regularly are different: the file in PMAIL/MAIL/marandy is June 3rd (the date I was first

unable to open Pegasus) is 5kb while the one in PMAIL/marandy

is dated Oct. 6, 2003 and is only 3 kb.  

So just which file(s) do I delete?

TIA,

Marianne

<P>I have found 2 files named hierarch.pm</P> <P>One is in PMAIL/marandy, is 8 kb and is dated Oct. 9, 2003 and the other one is in </P> <P>PMAIL/MAIL/marandy, is 23 kb and is dated the date I stopped being able to open Pegasus.</P> <P> I have also found no fewer than 6 files named state.pmj, two in each of my identities --</P> <P>one in PMAIL/identity and one in PMAIL/MAIL/ identity</P> <P>In THESE files too both the dates and sizes of the ones in the only identity I still use </P> <P>regularly are different: the file in PMAIL/MAIL/marandy is June 3rd (the date I was first </P> <P>unable to open Pegasus) is 5kb while the one in PMAIL/marandy </P> <P>is dated Oct. 6, 2003 and is only 3 kb.  </P> <P>So just which file(s) do I delete?</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>TIA,</P> <P>Marianne</P>

I've been getting advice on this problem from the PM-WIN list, but think it's time to give you all an update as well as pick your collective brains as to what to do now.

I installed a fresh copy of Pegasus in a different part of my computer and have now copied ALL ..CNM files from my non-opening Pegasus to the fresh install. I have also copied all the .PM$ files, which I believe is the extension used for mail files in one of the earliest versions of Pegasus. The fresh install opens easily without any error messages.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The only files I haven't copied are those starting FOL and ending PMM and PMI, as well as PMN files whatever those are and some scattered files. Frankly, at this point it seems simpler to me to either follow Hans' suggestion about the hierarch and state files or to do a new install over my existing non-opening Pegasus rather than continue with this laborous piecemeal copying. I just can't decide which to try first. Any advice?

TIA,

Marianne

&lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT size=3&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot;&gt;I&#039;ve been getting advice on this problem from the PM-WIN list, but think it&#039;s time to give you all an update as well as pick your collective brains as to what to do now. &lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT size=3&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot;&gt;I installed a fresh copy of Pegasus in a different part of my computer and have now copied ALL ..CNM files from my non-opening Pegasus to the fresh install. I have also copied all the .PM$ files, which I believe is the&lt;SPAN style=&quot;mso-spacerun: yes&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/SPAN&gt;extension used for mail files in one of the earliest versions of Pegasus. The fresh install opens easily without any error messages.&lt;?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = &quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office&quot; /&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=3&gt;The only files I haven&#039;t copied are those starting FOL and ending PMM and PMI, as well as PMN files whatever those are and some scattered files. Frankly, at this point it seems simpler to me to either follow Hans&#039; suggestion about the hierarch and state files or to do a new install over my existing non-opening Pegasus rather than continue with this laborous piecemeal copying. I just can&#039;t decide which to try first. Any advice?&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=3&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=3&gt;TIA,&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=3&gt;Marianne&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;

On 14 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> I've been getting advice on this problem from the PM-WIN list, but
> think it's time to give you all an update as well as pick your
> collective brains as to what to do now.
>
> I installed a fresh copy of Pegasus in a different part of my computer
> and have now copied ALL ..CNM files from my non-opening Pegasus to the
> fresh install. I have also copied all the .PM$ files, which I believe

PM$ are temp files and can be dleted.

> is the extension used for mail files in one of the earliest versions
> of Pegasus. The fresh install opens easily without any error messages.
>
> The only files I haven't copied are those starting FOL and ending PMM
> and PMI,

These are the folders, the PMM is the data file and PMI is the index file.

> as well as PMN files whatever those are and some scattered

The POPxxxx.PNM are the POP3 setup files and SMTxxxx.PNM are the SMTP setup files.

Checkout Han v.d. Bogaerde's Pegasus mail Links at http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/
He has provided a lot of information on Pegasus Mail for Windows including a complete description of the files and extensions used by Pegasus Mail..

> files. Frankly, at this point it seems simpler to me to either follow
> Hans' suggestion about the hierarch and state files or to do a new
> install over my existing non-opening Pegasus rather than continue with
> this laborious piecemeal copying. I just can't decide which to try
> first. Any advice?

Copy the folders (PMM/PMI) and PMN files into the home mail directory on the new setup.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to verify the HOME directory name if you do not know what it is.  Make sure WinPMail is shut down when you do the copy.  The hierarch.pm and state.pmj will be build automatically when you run WinPMail.

>
>  
>
> TIA,
>
> Marianne

&lt;p&gt;On 14 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; I&#039;ve been getting advice on this problem from the PM-WIN list, but &amp;gt; think it&#039;s time to give you all an update as well as pick your &amp;gt; collective brains as to what to do now. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I installed a fresh copy of Pegasus in a different part of my computer &amp;gt; and have now copied ALL ..CNM files from my non-opening Pegasus to the &amp;gt; fresh install. I have also copied all the .PM$ files, which I believe PM$ are temp files and can be dleted. &amp;gt; is the&amp;nbsp;extension used for mail files in one of the earliest versions &amp;gt; of Pegasus. The fresh install opens easily without any error messages. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; The only files I haven&#039;t copied are those starting FOL and ending PMM &amp;gt; and PMI, These are the folders, the PMM is the data file and PMI is the index file. &amp;gt; as well as PMN files whatever those are and some scattered The POPxxxx.PNM are the POP3 setup files and SMTxxxx.PNM are the SMTP setup files.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Checkout Han v.d. Bogaerde&#039;s Pegasus mail Links at http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/ He has provided a lot of information on Pegasus Mail for Windows including a complete description of the files and extensions used by Pegasus Mail.. &amp;gt; files. Frankly, at this point it seems simpler to me to either follow &amp;gt; Hans&#039; suggestion about the hierarch and state files or to do a new &amp;gt; install over my existing non-opening Pegasus rather than continue with &amp;gt; this laborious piecemeal copying. I just can&#039;t decide which to try &amp;gt; first. Any advice? Copy the folders (PMM/PMI) and PMN files into the home mail directory on the new setup.&amp;nbsp; Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to verify the HOME directory name if you do not know what it is.&amp;nbsp; Make sure WinPMail is shut down when you do the copy.&amp;nbsp; The hierarch.pm and state.pmj will be build automatically when you run WinPMail. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; TIA, &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Marianne &lt;/p&gt;

First, let me say that this is a double posting, i.e. I'm sending this both to the community forum and to the

PM-Win list since I'm at my wits end!

I have tried every suggestion given me on both the forum and the list and then some. One was to install a totally

fresh (and empty) copy of PMail in a different section of my computer. This copy opens without any problem.

By now, I have copied every folder and every piece of mail from my main identity (which is the only one I've used

for years) to this fresh copy and it still opens. My "real" copy, however, does not and still gives me the same

error message. Finally, in despair, I decided to do an "update" installation of Pegasus over my original copy. The

first strange thing was that when it said it sensed a previous installation and wanted to know if it should update

it, keeping all my settings, etc, the target it showed was the new copy and NOT the real one. I used the browse

option to point it to the original one, it seemed to do the job fine, but afterwards when I clicked on the icon I still got

the error message. According to the file listing, win-pm.exe now has the date of this latest installation, so

apparently that's not the corrupted file (assuming there is one), nor is the hierarch.pm or state.pjm.

I love Pegasus and have ever since I first saw it way back when it was version 2 something. I love it so much that,

despite the fact that I live on a disability pension, I even made a small donation when it looked like David was going

to have to abandon it, but I don't know how much more of this I can take!

All the best,

Marianne

&lt;P&gt;First, let me say that this is a double posting, i.e. I&#039;m sending this both to the community forum and to the&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;PM-Win list since I&#039;m at my wits end!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I have tried every suggestion given me on both the forum and the list and then some. One was to install a totally &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;fresh (and empty) copy of PMail in a different section of my computer. This copy opens without any problem. &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;By now, I have copied every folder and every piece of mail from my main identity (which is the only one I&#039;ve used &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;for years) to this fresh copy and it still opens. My &quot;real&quot; copy, however, does not and still gives me the same &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;error message. Finally, in despair, I decided to do an &quot;update&quot; installation of Pegasus over my original copy. The &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;first strange thing was that when it said it sensed a previous installation and wanted to know if it should update &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;it, keeping all my settings, etc, the target it showed was the new copy and NOT the real one. I used the browse &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;option to point it to the original one, it seemed to do the job fine, but afterwards when I clicked on the icon I still got &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;the error message. According to the file listing, win-pm.exe&amp;nbsp;now has the&amp;nbsp;date of this latest installation, so &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;apparently that&#039;s not the corrupted file (assuming there is one), nor is the hierarch.pm or state.pjm. &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I love Pegasus and have ever since I first saw it way back when it was version 2 something. I love it so much that, &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;despite the fact that I live on a disability pension, I even made a small donation when it looked like David was going &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;to have to abandon it, but I don&#039;t know how much more of this I can take!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;All the best,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Marianne&lt;/P&gt;

As usual, this will be posted to both the forum and the list.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Despite my despair at ever finding a solution to this problem (it has now been 3 weeks since Pmail refused to open and I received the error message for the first time), I can’t seem to shake the feeling that the solution lies in something very simple.

Looking at the tree structure of the two Pmails now on my computer, shows an external difference between the two.

The fresh install (which, BTW, is not set up to receive mail) has an empty title folder with two sub-directories: MAIL and Programs. The Programs folder holds all the components of win-pm32, bear, finger, PMAIL.CFG etc. necessary, I assume, for Pmail to work properly. It also holds two sub-directories – DEFAULTS (containing copyself, junk, spambust.dat, black etc.) and RESOURCE (containing helpdesk, template, another copy of spambust.dat etc.). The MAIL folder contains PMAIL.USR and as many username (or identity?) folders as you have set up. Each username folder has its own hierarch, junk, basic etc. files plus all the mail and mail folders belonging to that identity/username.

The tree structure of  my “suddenly wouldn’t open 3 weeks ago” copy of Pmail is something else; like a program on steroids or something. The main folder seems to contain all the files that are in the Program sub-directory of my fresh install PLUS a file called PEGASUS.INI which doesn’t exist anywhere in the fresh install. This main folder also contains the following sub-directories: DEFAULTS, username3, username2, MAIL, username1 (my main identity) and RESOURCE. When I open the sub-directory MAIL, I find PMAIL.USR and the following folders/sub-directories – ADMIN, username3, username2 and username1. ADMIN (which doesn’t exist in my fresh install) has three files: basic.cnm, support.cnm and welcome.cnm all of them dated 8/12/2004 at 4:23 pm. The two copies of username3 are identical to onw another, as are the two copies of the sub-directories username2. The username1 folder directly under the main folder is much smaller, has no junk files and doesn’t appear to contain any mail later than 2003, whereas the username1 sub-directory under the MAIL sub-directory/folder is about 4 times as big and has both my recent mail and mail dating back about a decade.

Basically, I wonder if the problem could have been caused by the existence of two sub-directories/folders bearing the same username even though they are subs of dirrent folders and despite the fact that this situation appears to have been in existence for some time now.

TIA

Marianne

&lt;FONT face=&quot;Times New Roman&quot; size=3&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;As usual, this will be posted to both the forum and the list.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = &quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office&quot; /&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;Despite my despair at ever finding a solution to this problem (it has now been 3 weeks since Pmail refused to open and I received the error message for the first time), I can&rsquo;t seem to shake the feeling that the solution lies in something very simple. &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;Looking at the tree structure of the two Pmails now on my computer, shows an external difference between the two. &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;The fresh install (which, BTW, is not set up to receive mail) has an empty title folder with two sub-directories: MAIL and Programs. The Programs folder holds all the components of win-pm32, bear, finger, PMAIL.CFG etc. necessary, I assume, for Pmail to work properly. It also holds two sub-directories &ndash; DEFAULTS (containing copyself, junk, spambust.dat, black etc.) and RESOURCE (containing helpdesk, template, another copy of spambust.dat etc.). The MAIL folder contains PMAIL.USR and as many username (or identity?) folders as you have set up. Each username folder has its own hierarch, junk, basic etc. files plus all the mail and mail folders belonging to that identity/username.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;The tree structure of &lt;SPAN style=&quot;mso-spacerun: yes&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/SPAN&gt;my &ldquo;suddenly wouldn&rsquo;t open 3 weeks ago&rdquo; copy of Pmail&lt;SPAN style=&quot;mso-tab-count: 1&quot;&gt; &lt;/SPAN&gt;is something else; like a program on steroids or something. The main folder seems to contain all the files that are in the Program sub-directory of my fresh install PLUS a file called PEGASUS.INI which doesn&rsquo;t exist anywhere in the fresh install. This main folder also contains the following sub-directories: DEFAULTS, username3, username2, MAIL, username1 (my main identity) and RESOURCE. When I open the sub-directory MAIL, I find PMAIL.USR and the following folders/sub-directories &ndash; ADMIN, username3, username2 and username1. ADMIN (which doesn&rsquo;t exist in my fresh install) has three files: basic.cnm, support.cnm and welcome.cnm all of them dated 8/12/2004 at 4:23 pm. The two copies of username3 are identical to onw another, as are the two copies of the sub-directories username2. The username1 folder directly under the main folder is much smaller, has no junk files and doesn&rsquo;t appear to contain any mail later than 2003, whereas the username1 sub-directory under the MAIL sub-directory/folder is about 4 times as big and has both my recent mail and mail dating back about a decade.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;Basically, I wonder if the problem could have been caused by the existence of two sub-directories/folders bearing the same username even though they are subs of dirrent folders and despite the fact that this situation appears to have been in existence for some time now.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;TIA&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P class=MsoNormal style=&quot;MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt&quot;&gt;Marianne &lt;/P&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft