Community Discussions and Support
Turn of html display?

Oh, regarding the help thing;

"Help" files on Microsoft windows are (de-facto, for me at least) more harm than good because I can't read the stuff because of their choice of fonts and sizes.

[A] The fonts are too small (even with the "large" option) and the choice of fonts is approximately impossible for me to read. The leters merge together on the screen. It's an eyesight thing.

I have tried using a magnifying glass, which isolates words and letters to start with, and then I find myself trying to deduce which pixels go with which letters. After all that, I try to form a word; it's a lot like Captain Midnight's secret decoder rings.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I can now read my messages on my screen. Pegasus looks like a very good E-mail client.

<P>Oh, regarding the help thing;</P><P>"Help" files on Microsoft windows are (de-facto, for me at least) more harm than good because I can't read the stuff because of their choice of fonts and sizes.</P><P>[A] The fonts are too small (even with the "large" option) and [B] the choice of fonts is approximately impossible for me to read. The leters merge together on the screen. It's an eyesight thing. </P><P>I have tried using a magnifying glass, which isolates words and letters to start with, and then I find myself trying to deduce which pixels go with which letters. After all that, I try to form a word; it's a lot like Captain Midnight's secret decoder rings.</P><P>Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I can now read my messages on my screen. Pegasus looks like a very good E-mail client.</P>

I accidentally turned on html display for messages from a mailing list I'm on, only to find that thier html is messed up and now I can't read the messages at all as the navigation menu they use overlaps everything in the message.

I looked everywhere in help and searched around, but I just can't find where to turn off html display for these messages and go back to text only display.

I know I added the address to a list so it was allowed to show html, but where do I turn it off again?

Thanks in advance.

I accidentally turned on html display for messages from a mailing list I'm on, only to find that thier html is messed up and now I can't read the messages at all as the navigation menu they use overlaps everything in the message. I looked everywhere in help and searched around, but I just can't find where to turn off html display for these messages and go back to text only display. I know I added the address to a list so it was allowed to show html, but where do I turn it off again? Thanks in advance.

Depends on the mailing list.  If this is one of the Yahoo groups (and it sounds like it is) you modify your settings and set  the mail preferences on the list to use the "traditional" mail.  If not Yahoo give us more info.

FWIW, you can upgrade your BearHTML and fix a lot of these problems with group mail.

The current version of Bearhtml can be obtained via email to Martin Ireoland:  
  mailto:martin.ireland@gov.ab.ca?subject=Send_bearhtml
or from his website:
  http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/

<P>Depends on the mailing list.  If this is one of the Yahoo groups (and it sounds like it is) you modify your settings and set  the mail preferences on the list to use the "traditional" mail.  If not Yahoo give us more info. FWIW, you can upgrade your BearHTML and fix a lot of these problems with group mail.</P>The current version of Bearhtml can be obtained via email to Martin Ireoland:     mailto:martin.ireland@gov.ab.ca?subject=Send_bearhtml or from his website:   http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/

Whilst on the topic of HTML mails, maybe somebody could assess whether the following function already exists, or whether it may be interesting for future versions of Pegasus:

Currently there seems to be no way of responding / edit-forwarding rich text emails that maintains the existing rich text (incl. pictures, if present before). Only when one bounce-forwards emails, can one maintain the formatting.

This at times can be a bit of a bother, especially when emails have images pasted into the flow text and the text comments on the images - there is no way of figuring out which image went where in the text originally....

thanks

Rolf 

<p>Whilst on the topic of HTML mails, maybe somebody could assess whether the following function already exists, or whether it may be interesting for future versions of Pegasus:</p><p>Currently there seems to be no way of responding / edit-forwarding rich text emails that maintains the existing rich text (incl. pictures, if present before). Only when one bounce-forwards emails, can one maintain the formatting.</p><p>This at times can be a bit of a bother, especially when emails have images pasted into the flow text and the text comments on the images - there is no way of figuring out which image went where in the text originally....</p><p> </p><p>thanks</p><p>Rolf </p>

On 11 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> Whilst on the topic of HTML mails, maybe somebody could
> assess whether the following function already exists, or
> whether it may be interesting for future versions of Pegasus:
>
> Currently there seems to be no way of responding /
> edit-forwarding rich text emails that maintains the existing
> rich text (incl. pictures, if present before). Only when one
> bounce-forwards emails, can one maintain the formatting.
>

I assume you are using v4.41 since this was not stated.  You need to check the "For replies to HTML, preserve original's formatting" when replying to the message to retain the in-line graphics and other HTML formatting.

> This at times can be a bit of a bother, especially when
> emails have images pasted into the flow text and the text
> comments on the images - there is no way of figuring out
> which image went where in the text originally....
>
>  
>
> thanks
>
> Rolf
>

On 11 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; Whilst on the topic of HTML mails, maybe somebody could &amp;gt; assess whether the following function already exists, or &amp;gt; whether it may be interesting for future versions of Pegasus: &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Currently there seems to be no way of responding / &amp;gt; edit-forwarding rich text emails that maintains the existing &amp;gt; rich text (incl. pictures, if present before). Only when one &amp;gt; bounce-forwards emails, can one maintain the formatting. &amp;gt; I assume you are using v4.41 since this was not stated.&amp;nbsp; You need to check the &quot;For replies to HTML, preserve original&#039;s formatting&quot; when replying to the message to retain the in-line graphics and other HTML formatting. &amp;gt; This at times can be a bit of a bother, especially when &amp;gt; emails have images pasted into the flow text and the text &amp;gt; comments on the images - there is no way of figuring out &amp;gt; which image went where in the text originally.... &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; thanks &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Rolf &amp;gt;

I got a copy of latest BearHtml and that fixed the display errors.

Thanks all :)

I got a copy of latest BearHtml and that fixed the display errors. Thanks all :)

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]On 11 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:
I assume you are using v4.41 since this was not stated.  You need to check the "For replies to HTML, preserve original's formatting" when replying to the message to retain the in-line graphics and other HTML formatting.

[/quote]

I am indeed using v.4.41. 
I have tried using the HTML response function, but whenever I do, the text is converted into plain text. Are there any further settings required to activate this function? (I have tried activating Rich Text as a default in the options menu, as well as deactivating signatures, but no luck)

Also, such a function would be valuable for forward-editing mails.

Thanks

&lt;P&gt;[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]On 11 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: I assume you are using v4.41 since this was not stated.&amp;nbsp; You need to check the &quot;For replies to HTML, preserve original&#039;s formatting&quot; when replying to the message to retain the in-line graphics and other HTML formatting. [/quote]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I am indeed using v.4.41.&amp;nbsp; I have tried using the HTML response function, but whenever I do, the text is converted into plain text. Are there any further settings required to activate this function? (I have tried activating Rich Text as a default in the options menu, as well as deactivating signatures, but no luck)&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Also, such a function would be valuable for forward-editing mails.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thanks&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

On 12 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email  wrote:

> I am indeed using v.4.41.
>
> I have tried using the HTML response function, but whenever I
> do, the text is converted into plain text. Are there any
> further settings required to activate this function? (I have
> tried activating Rich Text as a default in the options menu,
> as well as deactivating signatures, but no luck)
>
> Also, such a function would be valuable for forward-editing mails.
>
> Thanks

Check your settings to ensure that you have not turned off the formatted mail in Tools | Options |  Message formatting "Formatting and use of styling in messages"  If you have checked these blocks then you'll never be able to send formatted  mail.

I recommend the the following formatting options:

1.  Tools | Options | Sending mail, uncheck "Send attachments as
    separate messages" and "Enable text file autodetection when
    sending attachments". Check "Don't add 'attachment
    information' sections to Multipart messages", and "Generate
    multipart/alternative versions of richtext messages"  

2.  Tools | Options | Messages and replies check "Use MIME
    features"

3.  Tools | Options | Message formatting uncheck everything under
    "Formatting and use of styling in messages"

On 12 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email&amp;nbsp; wrote: &amp;gt; I am indeed using v.4.41. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I have tried using the HTML response function, but whenever I &amp;gt; do, the text is converted into plain text. Are there any &amp;gt; further settings required to activate this function? (I have &amp;gt; tried activating Rich Text as a default in the options menu, &amp;gt; as well as deactivating signatures, but no luck) &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Also, such a function would be valuable for forward-editing mails. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Thanks Check your settings to ensure that you have not turned off the formatted mail in Tools | Options |&amp;nbsp; Message formatting &quot;Formatting and use of styling in messages&quot;&amp;nbsp; If you have checked these blocks then you&#039;ll never be able to send formatted&amp;nbsp; mail. I recommend the the following formatting options: 1.&amp;nbsp; Tools | Options | Sending mail, uncheck &quot;Send attachments as &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; separate messages&quot; and &quot;Enable text file autodetection when &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; sending attachments&quot;. Check &quot;Don&#039;t add &#039;attachment &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; information&#039; sections to Multipart messages&quot;, and &quot;Generate &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; multipart/alternative versions of richtext messages&quot; &amp;nbsp; 2.&amp;nbsp; Tools | Options | Messages and replies check &quot;Use MIME &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; features&quot; 3.&amp;nbsp; Tools | Options | Message formatting uncheck everything under &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &quot;Formatting and use of styling in messages&quot;

Did anyone ever answer the question which user ID "ILTK" asked about...

"...where do I turn it off..."

I'm trying to read my E-mail in plain ascii text, without formatting, so that I can choose the font and the size of the text and I am also scratching my head and thinking "duh".

I just want to read the text.

&lt;P&gt;Did anyone ever answer the question which user ID &quot;ILTK&quot; asked about...&lt;/P&gt;&lt;P&gt;&lt;BLOCKQUOTE&gt;&lt;P&gt;&lt;EM&gt;&quot;...where do I turn it off...&quot;&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/P&gt;&lt;/BLOCKQUOTE&gt;&lt;P&gt;I&#039;m trying to read my E-mail in plain ascii text, without formatting, so that I can choose the font and the size of the text and I am also scratching my head and thinking &quot;duh&quot;.&lt;/P&gt;&lt;P&gt;I just want to read the text.&lt;/P&gt;&lt;P&gt;&lt;/P&gt;

If the sender of formatted mail is using the MIME multipart/alternative method then they will be sending both a plain text and formatted part.  If you unselect Tools | Options | Message reader "Where a choice exists, display the fancy version" then you will get the plain text version.  If they are only sending a formatted message then there is nothing you can do to read it in plain text.

From the help:

Where a choice exists, display the fancy version  A lot of mail sent using formatting also includes a version of the message in plain text format. The plain text format can usually be displayed with complete reliability, where the rich text version may in some cases be unpleasantly formatted, especially when it contains HTML data. Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to present the formatted version of the message, while leaving it unchecked tells it to display the plain text version in preference. In situations where only a fancy version of a message is available, Pegasus Mail will display it even if this control is unchecked.

&lt;p&gt;If the sender of formatted mail is using the MIME multipart/alternative method then they will be sending both a plain text and formatted part.&amp;nbsp; If you unselect Tools | Options | Message reader &quot;Where a choice exists, display the fancy version&quot; then you will get the plain text version.&amp;nbsp; If they are only sending a formatted message then there is nothing you can do to read it in plain text. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;From the help:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;i&gt;&lt;b&gt;Where a choice exists, display the fancy version&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt;&amp;nbsp; A lot of mail sent using formatting also includes a version of the message in plain text format. The plain text format can usually be displayed with complete reliability, where the rich text version may in some cases be unpleasantly formatted, especially when it contains HTML data. Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to present the formatted version of the message, while leaving it unchecked tells it to display the plain text version in preference. In situations where only a fancy version of a message is available, Pegasus Mail will display it even if this control is unchecked. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft