Community Discussions and Support
POP Mail client...

> Great, a scenario to add to the helpfiles. Indeed I did need MercuryP too...
>
> Remaining problem, less urgent than receiving as sending could be done directly even from the 2nd PC: why does SMTP relay not reach MercuryC?

It should be connecting to MercuryS.  MercuryC is the outbound SMTP client, MercuryS is the inbound SMTP server.

>
> No sessionlog filled... Tnx,

Possible causes

1.    Mercury not running on port 25.

2.    Port 25 being blocked.

3.    Another SMTP application is on port 25.

In any case setup an alternative port of 587 on MercuryS and then try to telnet into port 587.   You should see a reply from MercuryS that looks like

220 novell-tstephenson.com ESMTP server ready.

when you telnet into port 587 or port 25.  If you see something different it's quite possible you have another SMTP host running.

<p>> Great, a scenario to add to the helpfiles. Indeed I did need MercuryP too... > > Remaining problem, less urgent than receiving as sending could be done directly even from the 2nd PC: why does SMTP relay not reach MercuryC? </p><p>It should be connecting to MercuryS.  MercuryC is the outbound SMTP client, MercuryS is the inbound SMTP server.</p><p>> > No sessionlog filled... Tnx, Possible causes 1.    Mercury not running on port 25. 2.    Port 25 being blocked. 3.    Another SMTP application is on port 25. In any case setup an alternative port of 587 on MercuryS and then try to telnet into port 587.   You should see a reply from MercuryS that looks like 220 novell-tstephenson.com ESMTP server ready. when you telnet into port 587 or port 25.  If you see something different it's quite possible you have another SMTP host running.  </p>

Hi again,

Okay next step. Basically just a request to point me in the right direction, manuals and Wiki are vague on this. MercuryD does get the main from POP server (even with ICS) but now how to configure Windows Mail (Outlook Express 7) to use it? Just pointing to 'localhost' up til now, as I did with predecessor Winproxy. Result: 

Account: 'localhost', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Tnx again,

<Erik>

&lt;P&gt;Hi again,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Okay next step. Basically just a request to point me in the right direction, manuals and Wiki are vague on this. MercuryD &lt;U&gt;does&lt;/U&gt; get the main from POP server (even with ICS) but now how to configure Windows Mail (Outlook Express 7) to use it? Just pointing to &#039;localhost&#039; up til now, as I did with predecessor Winproxy. Result:&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Account: &#039;localhost&#039;, Server: &#039;localhost&#039;, Protocol: POP3, Server Response: &#039;-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!&#039;, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Tnx again,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;lt;Erik&amp;gt;&lt;/P&gt;

Oops, and another side more or less of the same coin:

The originating testmail bounced with

The local mail transport system has reported the following problems
it encountered while trying to deliver your message:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
*** lorderik
User lorderik not known at this site.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

but definitely I planned to have lorderik@mydomainname.nl and 3 other mailboxes (spread over 2 PC's) in Mercury. So where to create those, nextto having them in Outlook Express (sorry MS-Mail)? In Winproxy, my reference world, indeed I created one user id per mailbox but haven't found that place yet in MercuryD and/or the filtering module...

Tnx again,

<Erik> 

&lt;P&gt;Oops, and another side more or less of the same coin:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;The originating testmail bounced with&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;The local mail transport system has reported the following problems it encountered while trying to deliver your message: ------------------------------------------------------------------- *** lorderik User lorderik not known at this site. ------------------------------------------------------------------- but definitely I planned to have &lt;A href=&quot;mailto:lorderik@mydomainname.nl&quot;&gt;lorderik@mydomainname.nl&lt;/A&gt; and 3 other mailboxes (spread over 2 PC&#039;s) in Mercury. So where to create those, nextto having them in Outlook Express (sorry MS-Mail)? In Winproxy, my reference world, indeed I created one user id per mailbox but haven&#039;t found that place yet in MercuryD and/or the filtering module...&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Tnx again,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;lt;Erik&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

but definitely I planned to have lorderik@mydomainname.nl and 3 other mailboxes (spread over 2 PC's) in Mercury.

Not sure what this means but the Mercury users mailboxes are in the directory c:\mercury\mail by default and is specified as c:\mercury\mail\~n in Configuration | Mercury core | Local mailbox directory path. 

You enter and manage the Mercury users via Configuration | Manage local users.  When mercury is running and you want to add/change the user without rebooting you would use CTRL+Configuration +Manage local users.

&lt;blockquote&gt;but definitely I planned to have &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:lorderik@mydomainname.nl&quot;&gt;lorderik@mydomainname.nl&lt;/a&gt; and 3 other mailboxes (spread over 2 PC&#039;s) in Mercury.&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Not sure what this means but the Mercury users mailboxes are in the directory c:\mercury\mail by default and is specified as c:\mercury\mail\~n in Configuration | Mercury core | Local mailbox directory path.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;You enter and manage the Mercury users via Configuration | Manage local users.&amp;nbsp; When mercury is running and you want to add/change the user without rebooting you would use CTRL+Configuration +Manage local users.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Account should be the name of a user account created in Mercury (see Thomas' reply on how to do that). Server localhost should be OK if you run Windows Mail on the same machine as Mercury. The error message is a reply from AVG POP3 Proxy Server, that apparently intercepts connections on port 110. You should either remove it or configure it to pass traffic on to Mercury.

/Rolf 

&lt;p&gt;Account should be the name of a user account created in Mercury (see Thomas&#039; reply on how to do that). Server localhost should be OK if you run Windows Mail on the same machine as Mercury. The error message is a reply from AVG POP3 Proxy Server, that apparently intercepts connections on port 110. You should either remove it or configure it to pass traffic on to Mercury.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Okay, accounts created, tnx for that; will see whether now it keeps the downloaded test msg.

AVG e-mail checking disabled for now, indeed weird; it should act between the ISP and Mercury (as V 8.5 does with Winproxy on XP), so a new problem with either 9.0 or Vista; will tackle once the comms work.

Sending test mails gives

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test2', Account: 'Lorderik', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

And receiving now gives

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Lorderik', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

WinMail configured with same userid as Mercury, with password, without APOP secret.

Hoping for further tipz,

<Erik> 

&lt;P&gt;Okay, accounts created, tnx for that; will see whether now it keeps the downloaded test msg.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;AVG e-mail checking disabled for now, indeed weird; it should act between the ISP and Mercury (as V 8.5 does with Winproxy on XP), so a new problem with either 9.0 or Vista; will tackle once the comms work.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Sending test&amp;nbsp;mails&amp;nbsp;gives&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;The connection to the server has failed. Subject &#039;Test2&#039;, Account: &#039;Lorderik&#039;, Server: &#039;localhost&#039;, Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;And receiving now gives&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;The connection to the server has failed. Account: &#039;Lorderik&#039;, Server: &#039;localhost&#039;, Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;WinMail configured with same userid as Mercury, with password, without APOP secret.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Hoping for further tipz,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;lt;Erik&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Test2', Account:

'Lorderik', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL):

No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

This means little or nothing, what does the MercuryP session log show?  And why are you connecting to port 25 instead of port 110.

&lt;blockquote&gt;The connection to the server has failed. Subject &#039;Test2&#039;, Account: &#039;Lorderik&#039;, Server: &#039;localhost&#039;, Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;This means little or nothing, what does the MercuryP session log show?&amp;nbsp; And why are you connecting to port 25 instead of port 110. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Oops...sorry for the dual topic, both sides of the WinMail-Mercury link; for SMTP sending of course it's not to MercuryD but to MercuryC if I'm right. Above also error for the POP (indeed port 110).

Checked the debug/session log: it shows ALL ISP polls (POP) in painful detail but none of the WinMail polls to MercuryD. Weird. What now to try? The ip address instead of localhost, or.... ?

Tnx again,

<Erik>

&lt;P&gt;Oops...sorry for the dual topic, both sides of the WinMail-Mercury link; for SMTP sending of course it&#039;s not to MercuryD but to MercuryC if I&#039;m right. Above also error for the POP (indeed port 110).&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Checked the debug/session log: it shows ALL ISP polls (POP) in painful detail but none of the WinMail polls to MercuryD. Weird. What now to try? The ip address instead of localhost, or.... ?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Tnx again,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;lt;Erik&amp;gt;&lt;/P&gt;

> Oops...sorry for the dual topic, both sides of the WinMail-Mercury link; for SMTP sending of course it's not to MercuryD but to MercuryC
> if I'm right.

MercuryD is POP3 outbound to ISP POP3 server.

MercuryC is SMTP outbound to ISP to SMTP host.

MercuryS is SMTP inbound from client/server to Mercury

MercuryP is POP3 inbound from client to Mercury.

> Above also error for the POP (indeed port 110). Checked the debug/session log: it shows ALL ISP polls (POP) in painful detail but
> none of the WinMail polls to MercuryD. Weird. What now to try? The ip address instead of localhost, or.... ?

Are you running MercuryP?  Did you check the MercuryP session log?

&amp;gt; Oops...sorry for the dual topic, both sides of the WinMail-Mercury link; for SMTP sending of course it&#039;s not to MercuryD but to MercuryC &amp;gt; if I&#039;m right. MercuryD is POP3 outbound to ISP POP3 server. MercuryC is SMTP outbound to ISP to SMTP host. MercuryS is SMTP inbound from client/server to Mercury MercuryP is POP3 inbound from client to Mercury. &amp;gt; Above also error for the POP (indeed port 110). Checked the debug/session log: it shows ALL ISP polls (POP) in painful detail but &amp;gt; none of the WinMail polls to MercuryD. Weird. What now to try? The ip address instead of localhost, or.... ? Are you running MercuryP?&amp;nbsp; Did you check the MercuryP session log?

Great, a scenario to add to the helpfiles. Indeed I did need MercuryP too...

Remaining problem, less urgent than receiving as sending could be done directly even from the 2nd PC: why does SMTP relay not reach MercuryC? No sessionlog filled...

Tnx,

<Erik>

&lt;P&gt;Great, a scenario to add to the helpfiles. Indeed I did need MercuryP &lt;U&gt;too&lt;/U&gt;&lt;EM&gt;...&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Remaining problem, less urgent than receiving as sending could be done directly even from the 2nd PC: why does SMTP relay not reach MercuryC? No sessionlog filled...&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Tnx,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;lt;Erik&amp;gt;&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft