Community Discussions and Support
IMAP capability

I can appreciate the effort you've put in to maintaining the legacy of code while supporting the breadth of email technologies in Mercury.  I'll keep an eye out for the support of various IMAP extensions in the future.  Thanks again for putting forth the effort to maintain this type of technology.  It's not too common these days to have the primary developer of a product dedicate the time to respond to queries like this.

John

<P>I can appreciate the effort you've put in to maintaining the legacy of code while supporting the breadth of email technologies in Mercury.  I'll keep an eye out for the support of various IMAP extensions in the future.  Thanks again for putting forth the effort to maintain this type of technology.  It's not too common these days to have the primary developer of a product dedicate the time to respond to queries like this.</P> <P>John</P>

I was curious if the IMAP implementation has been updated to support the SORT capability?  The output from a capability command indicates it does not but I thought I'd ask it there was a simple means for adding it.

Thanks for any feedback on it.

<P>I was curious if the IMAP implementation has been updated to support the SORT capability?  The output from a capability command indicates it does not but I thought I'd ask it there was a simple means for adding it.</P> <P> Thanks for any feedback on it.</P>

maybe this should've gone in the technical support fora.  I can't move the topic.  Sorry.

maybe this should've gone in the technical support fora.  I can't move the topic.  Sorry.

No, this question is OK for this forum.

I looked at implementing SORT several times during the v4.5 dev process - I know that many people using webmail systems would find it useful. The problem is that, like almost everything else in IMAP, the SORT command is ludicrously complicated internally - it looks as though the authors have tried to accommodate every possible scenario they could think of, and then made it so that the only acceptable implementation is a full implementation.

From the Mercury perspective, the problem with SORT is that it requires me to support sorting on information that I don't have easy access to - this is particularly true of the THREADS=REFERENCES sub-mode, where thread sorting is based on the "References" and "In-reply-to" fields of the message. The pre-parsed index structures used by Pegasus Mail (and thus by extension, Mercury) vastly predate the widespread use of these headers, and as a result, they are not included. This means that in order to perform a sort, I would have to re-parse the entire folder in a custom pass, which would be extremely slow. There's also the problem that "References" headers can be of arbitrary length, making memory considerations an issue.

Now, I know that other IMAP servers have found ways around these problems, but they all have the luxury (usually) of having started with a largely blank slate. Because I've been around for so much longer than practically all of them (with the possible exception of the Washington IMAP server), I have a huge amount of legacy data I have to be able to handle, and that complicates things considerably.

I certainly intend to support SORT (and probably other IMAP extensions as well), but it's not a trivial modification and will require some fairly fundamental low-level changes to the way Mercury works.

Cheers!

-- David --

No, this question is OK for this forum. I looked at implementing SORT several times during the v4.5 dev process - I know that many people using webmail systems would find it useful. The problem is that, like almost everything else in IMAP, the SORT command is ludicrously complicated internally - it looks as though the authors have tried to accommodate every possible scenario they could think of, and then made it so that the only acceptable implementation is a full implementation. From the Mercury perspective, the problem with SORT is that it requires me to support sorting on information that I don't have easy access to - this is particularly true of the THREADS=REFERENCES sub-mode, where thread sorting is based on the "References" and "In-reply-to" fields of the message. The pre-parsed index structures used by Pegasus Mail (and thus by extension, Mercury) vastly predate the widespread use of these headers, and as a result, they are not included. This means that in order to perform a sort, I would have to re-parse the entire folder in a custom pass, which would be extremely slow. There's also the problem that "References" headers can be of arbitrary length, making memory considerations an issue. Now, I know that other IMAP servers have found ways around these problems, but they all have the luxury (usually) of having started with a largely blank slate. Because I've been around for so much longer than practically all of them (with the possible exception of the Washington IMAP server), I have a huge amount of legacy data I have to be able to handle, and that complicates things considerably. I certainly intend to support SORT (and probably other IMAP extensions as well), but it's not a trivial modification and will require some fairly fundamental low-level changes to the way Mercury works. Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft