Pegasus Mail Suggestions
WISHLIST - Easier way to select and move the "MAIL" directory

pmuser hit it on the head. 

I want to do backups but have to deal with scattered files.  Moving MAIL to my documents allows for less schattering.  Multiuser mode is not an issue for me but I understand it will be for others should you do this.  I have no suggestions as to how to remedy the multiuser issue other than not relying on the MAIL subdirectory to provide for the multiusers subdirectories into the future. Perhaps a file in the program files/pmail that determines mulit/solo info and directs accordingly. 

I do want to move my MAIL file though with minimal difficulty. 

It would also get ya to fix that Easter Egg problem that you mentioned  :-)

Coach

<P>pmuser hit it on the head.  </P> <P>I want to do backups but have to deal with scattered files.  Moving MAIL to my documents allows for less schattering.  Multiuser mode is not an issue for me but I understand it will be for others should you do this.  I have no suggestions as to how to remedy the multiuser issue other than not relying on the MAIL subdirectory to provide for the multiusers subdirectories into the future. Perhaps a file in the program files/pmail that determines mulit/solo info and directs accordingly. </P> <P>I do want to move my MAIL file though with minimal difficulty.  </P> <P>It would also get ya to fix that Easter Egg problem that you mentioned  :-)</P> <P>Coach</P>

I currently have my "MAIL" subfolder in the c:/program files/pmail/ directory.  I'd like to move it to my "My Documents" directory.  I wish there was an easier way to find information on doing this AND a routine/selection/option in Pmail that allows for this to be set up easier.

Coach

<P>I currently have my "MAIL" subfolder in the c:/program files/pmail/ directory.  I'd like to move it to my "My Documents" directory.  I wish there was an easier way to find information on doing this AND a routine/selection/option in Pmail that allows for this to be set up easier.</P> <P>Coach</P>

Could you tell me why you want to move the mailbox to "My Documents"? What is the advantage, with the program as it stands at the moment? This is a genuine question - I'd like to know.

To answer your question, though... The "Move home mailbox location" operation in the program is broken; it has been broken for so long, and I have been forgetting to fix it for so long that it's almost an Easter Egg these days.

For what it's worth, one of the things I plan for v5 is an installation mode where the program will install itself into Program Files/My Documents and run as whatever user is currently logged in. It's not as ideal as it sounds (some of the multi-user aspects of the program, such as the ability to run as a different user, will be lost when it is installed this way), but I suspect for many people it may be useful.

Cheers!

-- David --

Could you tell me why you want to move the mailbox to "My Documents"? What is the advantage, with the program as it stands at the moment? This is a genuine question - I'd like to know. To answer your question, though... The "Move home mailbox location" operation in the program is broken; it has been broken for so long, and I have been forgetting to fix it for so long that it's almost an Easter Egg these days. For what it's worth, one of the things I plan for v5 is an installation mode where the program will install itself into Program Files/My Documents and run as whatever user is currently logged in. It's not as ideal as it sounds (some of the multi-user aspects of the program, such as the ability to run as a different user, will be lost when it is installed this way), but I suspect for many people it may be useful. Cheers! -- David --

Well for one it simplifies archival policies. User data (such as everything under My Documents) can be backed up frequently while Program File stuff can be done on a more infrequent basis.

Anyway what I did is that I use the DOS command "subst" to map my "MAIL" directory to drive M and then have PM read off drive M. In that way it doesn't really matter where my "MAIL" directory resides because as far as PM is concerned, drive M is the "MAIL" directory.

<P>Well for one it simplifies archival policies. User data (such as everything under My Documents) can be backed up frequently while Program File stuff can be done on a more infrequent basis.</P> <P> Anyway what I did is that I use the DOS command "subst" to map my "MAIL" directory to drive M and then have PM read off drive M. In that way it doesn't really matter where my "MAIL" directory resides because as far as PM is concerned, drive M is the "MAIL" directory.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft