Community Discussions and Support
Mail sorting

Thanks Thomas, I just voted :-)

So, whan I need can not be done by myself by now, and will not in the near future.

Do you know someone who can do it programming? As an addon, or extension of whatever. It would help me a lot on my work, so if I have to pay it's no problem, I would pass the bill to my boss...

Rgds

Marc

<p>Thanks Thomas, I just voted :-)</p><p>So, whan I need can not be done by myself by now, and will not in the near future.</p><p>Do you know someone who can do it programming? As an addon, or extension of whatever. It would help me a lot on my work, so if I have to pay it's no problem, I would pass the bill to my boss...</p><p>Rgds</p><p> Marc </p><p> </p>

Hi,

I am trying to set up a rule to sort messages and I need some help (I am not sure it can be done though)

When a client place order of a product, I

assign a number to this product. Let's say this project is number 2221.

I create a folder named (number)+(client code)+(product name). For

instance, folder 2221 - CFS (filters).

We have more than one order, so a lot of different numbers

So, all the emails related to this product go to this folder. 

What I want to do: When I read an email about this project, I need to decide if it stays in the

inbox folder, or if I move it to 2221 folder. So I am trying to set up a filter that, when reading the email, I press CTRL+1 (quick action) and, if the email header contains 2221 it is

moved to the folder that contains 2221 (and if it contains 2389 it goes to the folder with 2389...).

I have tried to create a general rule set filter, but I am stuck... I want to make that if the filter finds any number in the header, the message is moved to the folder whose name contains that number. So I have written that if message header matches *[0-9]+*

... and here I am stuck. I don't know how to tell him to move the message to the folder that contains the same number.

Is it possible to do it? If so, can anyone help?

Thanks

Marc

<p>Hi,</p><p>I am trying to set up a rule to sort messages and I need some help (I am not sure it can be done though) </p><p>When a client place order of a product, I assign a number to this product. Let's say this project is number 2221. I create a folder named (number)+(client code)+(product name). For instance, folder 2221 - CFS (filters).</p><p>We have more than one order, so a lot of different numbers </p><p>So, all the emails related to this product go to this folder. </p><p>What I want to do: When I read an email about this project, I need to decide if it stays in the inbox folder, or if I move it to 2221 folder. So I am trying to set up a filter that, when reading the email, I press CTRL+1 (quick action) and, if the email header contains 2221 it is moved to the folder that contains 2221 (and if it contains 2389 it goes to the folder with 2389...).</p><p>I have tried to create a general rule set filter, but I am stuck... I want to make that if the filter finds any number in the header, the message is moved to the folder whose name contains that number. So I have written that if message header matches *[0-9]+* </p><p>... and here I am stuck. I don't know how to tell him to move the message to the folder that contains the same number.</p><p>Is it possible to do it? If so, can anyone help?</p><p>Thanks</p><p>Marc </p> <p> </p>

Unfortunately, although you can use regular expressions to search for messages to filter, you cannot use them to search for a folder into which to move those messages.

The only solution that I can see is to define a filter rule for every folder that you have. You would not need regular expressions, simply "if 2221 is in the subject, move to folder 2221". Regular expressions would probably slow the filter down and are unnecessary if you know the exact phrase to search for. Remember also that, if using regular expressions, the first rule that matches will be applied, so the order of the rules becomes very important

More important is the fact that you wish sometimes to leave such messages in the inbox. This makes the whole thing more complex, because the filter has no way of deciding by itself whether to move a message or not. You need to be able to mark the messages that the filter should check. I would do this either by giving the message a colour or by marking it as read. Those that are not so marked could be ignored by the filter and would be left in the inbox.

To use this approach you would need to add an extra line at the top of your filter saying "if message is not marked as read, exit this rule set". Then have a separate filter rule for each folder.

I hope that makes sense but please post more questions if you need more help. Perhaps someone else here (with more experience of advanced filtering) will offer an alternative solution.

<P>Unfortunately, although you can use regular expressions to search for messages to filter, you cannot use them to search for a folder into which to move those messages.</P><P>The only solution that I can see is to define a filter rule for every folder that you have. You would not need regular expressions, simply "if 2221 is in the subject, move to folder 2221". Regular expressions would probably slow the filter down and are unnecessary if you know the exact phrase to search for. Remember also that, if using regular expressions, the first rule that matches will be applied, so the order of the rules becomes very important</P><P>More important is the fact that you wish sometimes to leave such messages in the inbox. This makes the whole thing more complex, because the filter has no way of deciding by itself whether to move a message or not. You need to be able to mark the messages that the filter should check. I would do this either by giving the message a colour or by marking it as read. Those that are not so marked could be ignored by the filter and would be left in the inbox.</P><P>To use this approach you would need to add an extra line at the top of your filter saying "if message is not marked as read, exit this rule set". Then have a separate filter rule for each folder.</P><P>I hope that makes sense but please post more questions if you need more help. Perhaps someone else here (with more experience of advanced filtering) will offer an alternative solution.</P>

Thanks Sharkfin

I have been checking further and it seems that it can be done in Outlook, programming a macro:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-39527-outlook-macro-creating-folders

Does anybody know if is it possible to do something similar in Pegasus?

<p>Thanks Sharkfin </p><p>I have been checking further and it seems that it can be done in Outlook, programming a macro:</p><p>http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-39527-outlook-macro-creating-folders</p><p>Does anybody know if is it possible to do something similar in Pegasus? </p>

Pegasus doesn't have macros, so you can't do this "on-the-fly" folder creation. Unless, that is, someone is able to write some kind of plug-in.

Pegasus doesn't have macros, so you can't do this "on-the-fly" folder creation. Unless, that is, someone is able to write some kind of plug-in.

What I do with Peg v4.52 is simple:

when the mail is open hit 'M' the Folder navigate dialog is displayed, you can use the cursor keys to move to the folder (or start typing the first letters expand with right cursor) hit enter when the folder you wish is selected. This also works for the 'classic view' did not try with 'three pane' Outlook style'.  Since the create folder command is available (+New) would this not work?

Not automatic, but it is doable.

Can be 'automated' to an existing folder via 'Autokey' which is a freeware scripting language. I use this to automate some of my daily tasks very handy.

<P>What I do with Peg v4.52 is simple:</P><P>when the mail is open hit 'M' the Folder navigate dialog is displayed, you can use the cursor keys to move to the folder (or start typing the first letters expand with right cursor) hit enter when the folder you wish is selected. This also works for the 'classic view' did not try with 'three pane' Outlook style'.  Since the create folder command is available (+New) would this not work?</P><P>Not automatic, but it is doable.</P><P>Can be 'automated' to an existing folder via 'Autokey' which is a freeware scripting language. I use this to automate some of my daily tasks very handy.</P>

Yes, that's what I do now. The problem is that we work in 70 or 80 projects at the same time, so I always have 80 folders active. Even with the number coding, just to look for the folder takes me a lot of time at the end of the day, it would save me a lot of time to just press a key

Yes, that's what I do now. The problem is that we work in 70 or 80 projects at the same time, so I always have 80 folders active. Even with the number coding, just to look for the folder takes me a lot of time at the end of the day, it would save me a lot of time to just press a key

[quote user="Sharkfin"]Pegasus doesn't have macros, so you can't do this "on-the-fly" folder creation. Unless, that is, someone is able to write some kind of plug-in.[/quote]

Hi Make and Sharkfin,

Yes, unfortunately there is no Macro Recorder which would have allowed Make to do exactly what he wants ...

I already have suggested to consider the implementation of a macro recorder. I know that this currently does not directly help Make with his problem but maybe in future, as it provides another argument for implementing a PM Macro Recorder.

I appreciate the enormous functionality built ('hard wired') into PM. However, why not, instead trying to implement all thinkable different options, provide a tool which would allow to customise PM to what might be needed individually or for a group?

You may want to check this:

http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/19104.aspx

Cheers

Thomas

<p>[quote user="Sharkfin"]Pegasus doesn't have macros, so you can't do this "on-the-fly" folder creation. Unless, that is, someone is able to write some kind of plug-in.[/quote]</p> <p> Hi Make and Sharkfin, Yes, unfortunately there is no Macro Recorder which would have allowed Make to do exactly what he wants ... I already have suggested to consider the implementation of a macro recorder. I know that this currently does not directly help Make with his problem but maybe in future, as it provides another argument for implementing a PM Macro Recorder. I appreciate the enormous functionality built ('hard wired') into PM. However, why not, instead trying to implement all thinkable different options, provide a tool which would allow to customise PM to what might be needed individually or for a group? You may want to check this: <a href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/19104.aspx" mce_href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/19104.aspx">http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/19104.aspx</a> Cheers Thomas  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft