Community Discussions and Support
Can't open some E-mail attachments

[quote user="bbroeckert"]

I have 7 Novell Netware 6.5 file servers that are running Pegasus 4.21c, and I have a problem with one site when sending file attachments.  A user uses a distribution list to send announcements to roughly 100 users.  Today for example, the user sent 2 very small attachments, one Word and one Excel file.  Almost all users had no problem opening either file, however I had one user that could open the Excel file but got the following error message when attempting to open the Word document.  The document name or path is not valid.  Try these suggestions.  * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.  * use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.  (C:\Document~\Bev\...\Temp\WPM$2B27.doc.

The puzzling thing is if the secretary resends the file, the user can open it without any problem.  Another part of the puzzle is, it's not always the same user that can't open the file.  It is not consistant. 

We use our own pop e-mail server, so it's not a problem between ISP's. 

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.    

[/quote]

The first thing I would do is try using a session log since it looks like what is happing is that there is some sort of POP3 TCP/IP download failure at the very end of the message (maybe packet fragmentation).   I would also look at upgrading to v4.41 to see if this helps. 

[quote user="bbroeckert"]<p>I have 7 Novell Netware 6.5 file servers that are running Pegasus 4.21c, and I have a problem with one site when sending file attachments.  A user uses a distribution list to send announcements to roughly 100 users.  Today for example, the user sent 2 very small attachments, one Word and one Excel file.  Almost all users had no problem opening either file, however I had one user that could open the Excel file but got the following error message when attempting to open the Word document.  The document name or path is not valid.  Try these suggestions.  * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.  * use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.  (C:\Document~\Bev\...\Temp\WPM$2B27.doc.</p> <p>The puzzling thing is if the secretary resends the file, the user can open it without any problem.  Another part of the puzzle is, it's not always the same user that can't open the file.  It is not consistant. </p> <p>We use our own pop e-mail server, so it's not a problem between ISP's. </p> <p mce_keep="true">Any suggestion would be much appreciated.     </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>The first thing I would do is try using a session log since it looks like what is happing is that there is some sort of POP3 TCP/IP download failure at the very end of the message (maybe packet fragmentation).   I would also look at upgrading to v4.41 to see if this helps.  </p>

I have 7 Novell Netware 6.5 file servers that are running Pegasus 4.21c, and I have a problem with one site when sending file attachments.  A user uses a distribution list to send announcements to roughly 100 users.  Today for example, the user sent 2 very small attachments, one Word and one Excel file.  Almost all users had no problem opening either file, however I had one user that could open the Excel file but got the following error message when attempting to open the Word document.  The document name or path is not valid.  Try these suggestions.  * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.  * use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.  (C:\Document~\Bev\...\Temp\WPM$2B27.doc.

The puzzling thing is if the secretary resends the file, the user can open it without any problem.  Another part of the puzzle is, it's not always the same user that can't open the file.  It is not consistant. 

We use our own pop e-mail server, so it's not a problem between ISP's. 

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. 

<P>I have 7 Novell Netware 6.5 file servers that are running Pegasus 4.21c, and I have a problem with one site when sending file attachments.  A user uses a distribution list to send announcements to roughly 100 users.  Today for example, the user sent 2 very small attachments, one Word and one Excel file.  Almost all users had no problem opening either file, however I had one user that could open the Excel file but got the following error message when attempting to open the Word document.  The document name or path is not valid.  Try these suggestions.  * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.  * use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.  (C:\Document~\Bev\...\Temp\WPM$2B27.doc.</P> <P>The puzzling thing is if the secretary resends the file, the user can open it without any problem.  Another part of the puzzle is, it's not always the same user that can't open the file.  It is not consistant. </P> <P>We use our own pop e-mail server, so it's not a problem between ISP's. </P> <P>Any suggestion would be much appreciated. </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft