Community Discussions and Support
Migrating network installation to new machines/server

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Someone must have at least told you the name of the server software when they were proposing the change.  Is this a Windows server? [/quote]

Actually I only spoke to a member of staff there who told me that they are having this whole new system (leased) set up by a consultant. I do not know the type of server at all. I will probably just wait and see what happens, as it is really nothing to do with me (except that I set the Pmail arrangement up for them and I would hate it all to be broken). They do keep backups of everything, so if all else fails they can restore their settings in some way.

I briefly spoke to the consultant who said that he knew Pegasus Mail. He ran it from the early 90's, though probably not much recently as he knew nothing of David's recent shift in gears. He agreed that it all sounds most promising, though. We didn't do much chatting other than that. He did say the server was on back order and that he would most probably set it all up the way it is now, until the server arrives.

Thanks Thomas,

Ellie 

<p>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Someone must have at least told you the name of the server software when they were proposing the change.  Is this a Windows server? [/quote]</p><p>Actually I only spoke to a member of staff there who told me that they are having this whole new system (leased) set up by a consultant. I do not know the type of server at all. I will probably just wait and see what happens, as it is really nothing to do with me (except that I set the Pmail arrangement up for them and I would hate it all to be broken). They do keep backups of everything, so if all else fails they can restore their settings in some way.</p><p>I briefly spoke to the consultant who said that he knew Pegasus Mail. He ran it from the early 90's, though probably not much recently as he knew nothing of David's recent shift in gears. He agreed that it all sounds most promising, though. We didn't do much chatting other than that. He did say the server was on back order and that he would most probably set it all up the way it is now, until the server arrives. </p><p>Thanks Thomas,</p><p>Ellie </p>

Hello all,

I set up Pegasus Mail in an office situation, where there is a central machine running Pegasus Mail, and this machine has the mailboxes on it. Each machine accesses their mailbox using a shortcut to the central computer.

Next week they are getting all new machines along with a server.

What would be the best way to migrate the current setup to the new systems? They are currently on the network, able to send emails to each other on the network, and sharing some dist.lists and some shared mailboxes. They would, presumably like to keep it this way.

As the server will not be a computer as I know it, will it be able to be run in the same way? I am not doing this myself, it is being done by an outside contractor. I am wondering what the chances are that he will have come across Pegasus Mail at all, let alone in this type of setup.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

Ellie

PS. How do I arrange it so that I get notified of replies to these messages? I have that option chosen, but do not actually receive any mails when replies are posted.

<p>Hello all,</p><p>I set up Pegasus Mail in an office situation, where there is a central machine running Pegasus Mail, and this machine has the mailboxes on it. Each machine accesses their mailbox using a shortcut to the central computer. </p><p>Next week they are getting all new machines along with a server. </p><p>What would be the best way to migrate the current setup to the new systems? They are currently on the network, able to send emails to each other on the network, and sharing some dist.lists and some shared mailboxes. They would, presumably like to keep it this way.</p><p>As the server will not be a computer as I know it, will it be able to be run in the same way? I am not doing this myself, it is being done by an outside contractor. I am wondering what the chances are that he will have come across Pegasus Mail at all, let alone in this type of setup.</p><p>Thoughts?</p><p>Best regards,</p><p>Ellie</p><p>PS. How do I arrange it so that I get notified of replies to these messages? I have that option chosen, but do not actually receive any mails when replies are posted.  </p>

Copy the Pegasus Mail installation and mail boxes to exactly the same drive as they are currently and you are good to go.  Share this drive in the same manner you shared the other drive.  The users will probably have to reset their shortcuts as well to get it to point at the right server.  Need to create a new shortcut if it's to be run from the server though.

Copy the Pegasus Mail installation and mail boxes to exactly the same drive as they are currently and you are good to go.  Share this drive in the same manner you shared the other drive.  The users will probably have to reset their shortcuts as well to get it to point at the right server.  Need to create a new shortcut if it's to be run from the server though.

[quote user="Ellie Kennard"]PS. How do I arrange it so that I get notified of replies to these messages? I have that option chosen, but do not actually receive any mails when replies are posted. [/quote]

Go to your profile where you loaded your pic, and on the email tab check the box 'enable email notifications...' and you should get sent replies to threads that you have posted in. (You don't get your own posts.)  Is that set already?

<P>[quote user="Ellie Kennard"]PS. How do I arrange it so that I get notified of replies to these messages? I have that option chosen, but do not actually receive any mails when replies are posted. [/quote]</P> <P>Go to your profile where you loaded your pic, and on the email tab check the box 'enable email notifications...' and you should get sent replies to threads that you have posted in. (You don't get your own posts.)  Is that set already?</P>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Copy the Pegasus Mail installation and mail boxes to exactly the same drive as they are currently and you are good to go.  Share this drive in the same manner you shared the other drive.  The users will probably have to reset their shortcuts as well to get it to point at the right server.  Need to create a new shortcut if it's to be run from the server though.[/quote]

Once again, thanks for the reply, Thomas. I'm not sure that this will work quite the same as currently the actual program installation is on a network machine accessed by all the others on the network, as are their mailboxes on that same machine. The new server that is being installed is not a computer, so can't have programs installed on it. How would it work in that case?

Thanks again,

Ellie

<p>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Copy the Pegasus Mail installation and mail boxes to exactly the same drive as they are currently and you are good to go.  Share this drive in the same manner you shared the other drive.  The users will probably have to reset their shortcuts as well to get it to point at the right server.  Need to create a new shortcut if it's to be run from the server though.[/quote]</p><p> Once again, thanks for the reply, Thomas. I'm not sure that this will work quite the same as currently the actual program installation is on a network machine accessed by all the others on the network, as are their mailboxes on that same machine. The new server that is being installed is not a computer, so can't have programs installed on it. How would it work in that case?</p><p>Thanks again,</p><p>Ellie  </p>

It is now, thanks Paul!

Regards, 

Ellie 

<p>It is now, thanks Paul!</p><p>Regards, </p><p>Ellie </p>

[quote user="Ellie Kennard"]

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Copy the Pegasus Mail installation and mail boxes to exactly the same drive as they are currently and you are good to go.  Share this drive in the same manner you shared the other drive.  The users will probably have to reset their shortcuts as well to get it to point at the right server.  Need to create a new shortcut if it's to be run from the server though.[/quote]

Once again, thanks for the reply, Thomas. I'm not sure that this will work quite the same as currently the actual program installation is on a network machine accessed by all the others on the network, as are their mailboxes on that same machine. The new server that is being installed is not a computer, so can't have programs installed on it. How would it work in that case?

Thanks again,

Ellie

[/quote]

Now i need a lot more specific information.  What kind of server are we talking about that does not serve programs? 

[quote user="Ellie Kennard"]<p>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Copy the Pegasus Mail installation and mail boxes to exactly the same drive as they are currently and you are good to go.  Share this drive in the same manner you shared the other drive.  The users will probably have to reset their shortcuts as well to get it to point at the right server.  Need to create a new shortcut if it's to be run from the server though.[/quote]</p><p> Once again, thanks for the reply, Thomas. I'm not sure that this will work quite the same as currently the actual program installation is on a network machine accessed by all the others on the network, as are their mailboxes on that same machine. The new server that is being installed is not a computer, so can't have programs installed on it. How would it work in that case?</p><p>Thanks again,</p><p>Ellie  </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Now i need a lot more specific information.  What kind of server are we talking about that does not serve programs?  </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] 

Now i need a lot more specific information.  What kind of server are we talking about that does not serve programs?  [/quote]

Hmmm. Good question. I will have to get back to you. It could be that it is some sort of file share server? I really don't know anything about it and it is out of my league. It could be that this person knows how this will all work. Perhaps I will wait to see if he calls me for help? And than ask him to check in here!

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] <p>Now i need a lot more specific information.  What kind of server are we talking about that does not serve programs?  [/quote]</p><p>Hmmm. Good question. I will have to get back to you. It could be that it is some sort of file share server? I really don't know anything about it and it is out of my league. It could be that this person knows how this will all work. Perhaps I will wait to see if he calls me for help? And than ask him to check in here!</p>

[quote user="Ellie Kennard"]

Hmmm. Good question. I will have to get back to you. It could be that it is some sort of file share server? I really don't know anything about it and it is out of my league. It could be that this person knows how this will all work. Perhaps I will wait to see if he calls me for help? And than ask him to check in here!

[/quote]

Someone must have at least told you the name of the server software when they were proposing the change.  Is this a Windows server?

[quote user="Ellie Kennard"]<p>Hmmm. Good question. I will have to get back to you. It could be that it is some sort of file share server? I really don't know anything about it and it is out of my league. It could be that this person knows how this will all work. Perhaps I will wait to see if he calls me for help? And than ask him to check in here!</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Someone must have at least told you the name of the server software when they were proposing the change.  Is this a Windows server?</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft