Community Discussions and Support
Slow sending of attachment under Win XP x64

Okay, so I shall try to contact my provider. Thank you very much for your help!

Martin 

<p>Okay, so I shall try to contact my provider. Thank you very much for your help!</p><p>Martin </p>

I just switched to a new computer, running on Windows XP x64. While most of Pegasus Mail's functions perform just fine, there is one problem I cannot find a solution for: Even a small attachment causes a mail message to be sent out extremely slowly. The sending progress (as indicated in the status bar) appears to be slowing down exponentially. On a typical occasion, with a 70 kB Word file attached, the first 20% are reached within 2-3 seconds; the next five seconds bring me to 30%; up to 40% takes the following 5 minutes, and after one hour, we are near 80%. 

These times are roughly consistent with the time I measured for sending an attachment of 15 kB, which is away in 2-3 seconds. The problem begins to show itself only from about 25 kB on. Receiving large attachments is no problem (even several MB come in a matter of seconds),  only sending.

Technical data:
AMD64 x2 computer, Windows XP Prof. x64
Internet connection via 16 MB/s DSL line
Pegasus Mail 4.41 German

Does anyone know this problem and has a solution?

Thanks for all the good work! I have used Pegasus Mail now for almost 14 years.

Martin

<p>I just switched to a new computer, running on Windows XP x64. While most of Pegasus Mail's functions perform just fine, there is one problem I cannot find a solution for: Even a small attachment causes a mail message to be sent out extremely slowly. The sending progress (as indicated in the status bar) appears to be slowing down exponentially. On a typical occasion, with a 70 kB Word file attached, the first 20% are reached within 2-3 seconds; the next five seconds bring me to 30%; up to 40% takes the following 5 minutes, and after one hour, we are near 80%.  </p><p>These times are roughly consistent with the time I measured for sending an attachment of 15 kB, which is away in 2-3 seconds. The problem begins to show itself only from about 25 kB on. Receiving large attachments is no problem (even several MB come in a matter of seconds),  only sending. </p><p>Technical data: AMD64 x2 computer, Windows XP Prof. x64 Internet connection via 16 MB/s DSL line Pegasus Mail 4.41 German</p><p>Does anyone know this problem and has a solution?</p><p>Thanks for all the good work! I have used Pegasus Mail now for almost 14 years. </p><p>Martin  </p>

On 9 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email  wrote:

> I just switched to a new computer, running on Windows XP x64.
> While most of Pegasus Mail's functions perform just fine,
> there is one problem I cannot find a solution for: Even a
> small attachment causes a mail message to be sent out
> extremely slowly. The sending progress (as indicated in the
> status bar) appears to be slowing down exponentially. On a
> typical occasion, with a 70 kB Word file attached, the first
> 20% are reached within 2-3 seconds; the next five seconds
> bring me to 30%; up to 40% takes the following 5 minutes, and
> after one hour, we are near 80%. 
>
> These times are roughly consistent with the time I measured
> for sending an attachment of 15 kB, which is away in 2-3
> seconds. The problem begins to show itself only from about 25
> kB on. Receiving large attachments is no problem (even
> several MB come in a matter of seconds),  only sending.
>
> Technical data:
> AMD64 x2 computer, Windows XP Prof. x64
> Internet connection via 16 MB/s DSL line
> Pegasus Mail 4.41 German
>
> Does anyone know this problem and has a solution?

Don't have a real solution but go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"  

Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any username and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ]

You can now try again to send the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Look specifically at the time tags on the lines to see if the time of sending increases.  If nothing else this would be good to have in hand when you talk to the owner of the SMTP host.

>
> Thanks for all the good work! I have used Pegasus Mail now for almost 14 years.
>
> Martin

On 9 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email  wrote: > I just switched to a new computer, running on Windows XP x64. > While most of Pegasus Mail's functions perform just fine, > there is one problem I cannot find a solution for: Even a > small attachment causes a mail message to be sent out > extremely slowly. The sending progress (as indicated in the > status bar) appears to be slowing down exponentially. On a > typical occasion, with a 70 kB Word file attached, the first > 20% are reached within 2-3 seconds; the next five seconds > bring me to 30%; up to 40% takes the following 5 minutes, and > after one hour, we are near 80%.  > > These times are roughly consistent with the time I measured > for sending an attachment of 15 kB, which is away in 2-3 > seconds. The problem begins to show itself only from about 25 > kB on. Receiving large attachments is no problem (even > several MB come in a matter of seconds),  only sending. > > Technical data: > AMD64 x2 computer, Windows XP Prof. x64 > Internet connection via 16 MB/s DSL line > Pegasus Mail 4.41 German > > Does anyone know this problem and has a solution? Don't have a real solution but go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"   Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any username and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ] You can now try again to send the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Look specifically at the time tags on the lines to see if the time of sending increases.  If nothing else this would be good to have in hand when you talk to the owner of the SMTP host. > > Thanks for all the good work! I have used Pegasus Mail now for almost 14 years. > > Martin

Thank you very much for the hint.

I switched the session log option on and read the log file. Apparently, it is really a network problem, because the times needed for 20 lines (1280 bytes) transfer begin at 15-16 ms, then suddenly jump to 700 ms and from here on double, until they reach 3 minutes.

The funny thing is, it happens only from my new AMD64x2 with XP x64. From my older Pentium 4 with Win 2000, which is on the same DSL line, transfer is as fast as it can be. Everything else connected with the network (browsing, downloads, uploads) is faster on the new machine than on the old one, which is why I still suspect the problem may be specific to Pegasus mail (or to my installation of it). It would be reassuring to know if sending attachments with PMail works fine for other users who might also have an AMD64 x2 with Windows XP x64.

Thanks again,

Martin 

<p>Thank you very much for the hint.</p><p>I switched the session log option on and read the log file. Apparently, it is really a network problem, because the times needed for 20 lines (1280 bytes) transfer begin at 15-16 ms, then suddenly jump to 700 ms and from here on double, until they reach 3 minutes. </p><p>The funny thing is, it happens only from my new AMD64x2 with XP x64. From my older Pentium 4 with Win 2000, which is on the same DSL line, transfer is as fast as it can be. Everything else connected with the network (browsing, downloads, uploads) is faster on the new machine than on the old one, which is why I still suspect the problem may be specific to Pegasus mail (or to my installation of it). It would be reassuring to know if sending attachments with PMail works fine for other users who might also have an AMD64 x2 with Windows XP x64.</p><p>Thanks again,</p><p> Martin </p>

[quote user="Martin"]

It would be reassuring to know if sending attachments with PMail works fine for other users who might also have an AMD64 x2 with Windows XP x64.

Thanks again,

Martin 

[/quote]

I have a AMD64 x2 on one of my systems and never see this sort of problem.  Actually it's my system running Mercury/32, Apache, PHP and Squirrelmail.  I would suspect this might have something to do with the SMTP host if you were having this on all systems.

[quote user="Martin"]<p> It would be reassuring to know if sending attachments with PMail works fine for other users who might also have an AMD64 x2 with Windows XP x64.</p><p>Thanks again,</p><p> Martin </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I have a AMD64 x2 on one of my systems and never see this sort of problem.  Actually it's my system running Mercury/32, Apache, PHP and Squirrelmail.  I would suspect this might have something to do with the SMTP host if you were having this on all systems. </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft