Extension development
HTML Renderer Replacement

Version 2.4.9.0 fixes two more issues and now supports encoded remote downloads as described at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383955(v=vs.85).aspx. The latter will only work on systems having at least IE 7 installed, so every Windows version down to XP is supported after updating IE properly, only Windows 2000 and prior ones are left behind. But fortunately this appears to be a rather rare issue anyway.

<a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" target="_blank">Version 2.4.9.0</a> fixes two more issues and now supports encoded remote downloads as described at <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383955(v=vs.85).aspx" target="_blank">http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383955(v=vs.85).aspx</a>. The latter will only work on systems having at least IE 7 installed, so every Windows version down to XP is supported after updating IE properly, only Windows 2000 and prior ones are left behind. But fortunately this appears to be a rather rare issue anyway.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

This is the public announcement of a new HTML renderer for replacing the current one ("BearHtml") for those of you feeling comfortable enough for using an Internet Explorer based version. As I know it will be very controversial here are my reasons for developing such a tool:

1. The current renderer has lots of limitations with regard to handling up-to-date HTML sources including crashes.
  2. The complexity of HTML makes is almost impossible to keep up with current developments for non-corporate developers.
  3. Internet Explorer comes with Windows and I'm far more familiar with its development interface than with any other browser engine's.
  4. Nevertheless it might be possible that there'll be WebKit (Safari, Chrome) or Gecko (Mozilla, Firefox) based renderers in the future as well.
  5. I've taken care to enable the most secure options available with IE's browser engine by default and add most of the features provided by BearHtml.

Please note that this replacement comes with an installer which creates a backup of the current renderer that can even be used alternatively if you'd want to switch back and forth between the current and the new renderer. Uninstalling the new renderer will restore the previous state, but you need to take care if updating Pegasus Mail or BearHtml as this will overwrite the IE Control installation so you would need to reinstall it afterwards.

It also implements a user interface including a toolbar button and a menu (see screenshot below) which enable you to access optional settings and help resources without having to memorize certain keyboard shortcuts. As can be seen by its version history on the download page it already underwent lots of testing, fixing and enhancements, but as only a small number of testers was involved there might still be issues to solve which should be reported to this forum.

PS: This renderer cannot be installed on any Windows 9x (up to ME) system or NT based sytems prior to Windows 2000 / XP with at least Internet Explorer 6!

<p>This is the public announcement of a new HTML renderer for replacing the current one ("BearHtml") for those of you feeling comfortable enough for using an Internet Explorer based version. As I know it will be very controversial here are my reasons for developing such a tool:</p><ol><li>The current renderer has lots of limitations with regard to handling up-to-date HTML sources including crashes.</li><li>The complexity of HTML makes is almost impossible to keep up with current developments for non-corporate developers.</li><li>Internet Explorer comes with Windows and I'm far more familiar with its development interface than with any other browser engine's.</li><li>Nevertheless it might be possible that there'll be WebKit (Safari, Chrome) or Gecko (Mozilla, Firefox) based renderers in the future as well.</li><li>I've taken care to enable the most secure options available with IE's browser engine by default and add most of the features provided by BearHtml. </li></ol><p>Please note that this replacement comes with an installer which creates a backup of the current renderer that can even be used alternatively if you'd want to switch back and forth between the current and the new renderer. Uninstalling the new renderer will restore the previous state, but you need to take care if updating Pegasus Mail or BearHtml as this will overwrite the IE Control installation so you would need to reinstall it afterwards.</p><p>It also implements a user interface including a toolbar button and a menu (see screenshot below) which enable you to access optional settings and help resources without having to memorize certain keyboard shortcuts. As can be seen by its version history on the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx">download page</a> it already underwent lots of testing, fixing and enhancements, but as only a small number of testers was involved there might still be issues to solve which should be reported to this forum.</p><p>PS: This renderer <i>cannot be installed </i>on any Windows 9x (up to ME) system or NT based sytems prior to Windows 2000 / XP with at least Internet Explorer 6!</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Michael, I had no luck with this on my system:  after installation, PMail started but never properly loaded, had in the end to be stopped with Ctrl-Alt-Del.  I used the Windows uninstall you provided, and this worked very gracefully indeed, apparently leaving Martin's bearhtml back in place and working as before.

I wonder why your renderer didn't work.  My system:  Win XP 64-bit edition, PMail 4.52 running with PMDebug.exe, and there are two versions of IE6 (32-bit and 64-bit) available though rarely used.  I don't have IE7 or IE8. (Not quite clear to me from your posting whether your renderer needs at least IE6 or a later version of IE.)

best

David

<p>Michael, I had no luck with this on my system:  after installation, PMail started but never properly loaded, had in the end to be stopped with Ctrl-Alt-Del.  I used the Windows uninstall you provided, and this worked very gracefully indeed, apparently leaving Martin's bearhtml back in place and working as before.</p><p>I wonder why your renderer didn't work.  My system:  Win XP 64-bit edition, PMail 4.52 running with PMDebug.exe, and there are two versions of IE6 (32-bit and 64-bit) available though rarely used.  I don't have IE7 or IE8. (Not quite clear to me from your posting whether your renderer needs <i>at least</i> IE6 or a later version of IE.) </p><p>best</p><p>David </p>

[quote user="David_himself"]I wonder why your renderer didn't work.  My system:  Win XP 64-bit edition, PMail 4.52 running with PMDebug.exe, and there are two versions of IE6 (32-bit and 64-bit) available though rarely used.  I don't have IE7 or IE8. (Not quite clear to me from your posting whether your renderer needs at least IE6 or a later version of IE.)[/quote]

David,

if I understand correctly Pegasus Mail did not launch beyond the startup screen? Or did it stop even before?

IE 6 should be ok as it is the last version available for Windows 2000. But the installer would abort with an error message anyway if it isn't installed.

Oh well, tested on various 64bit versions and 2000/XP 32bit but not on XP 64bit unless testers didn't say so ... Of course there always has to be at least one case where it fails. David, If you'd be willing to go through some additional testing I'll create a logging version for you to find out what the issue is on your system, please send me an email (you should have my address).

<p>[quote user="David_himself"]I wonder why your renderer didn't work.  My system:  Win XP 64-bit edition, PMail 4.52 running with PMDebug.exe, and there are two versions of IE6 (32-bit and 64-bit) available though rarely used.  I don't have IE7 or IE8. (Not quite clear to me from your posting whether your renderer needs <i>at least</i> IE6 or a later version of IE.)[/quote]</p><p>David, </p><p>if I understand correctly Pegasus Mail did not launch beyond the startup screen? Or did it stop even before?</p><p>IE 6 should be ok as it is the last version available for Windows 2000. But the installer would abort with an error message anyway if it isn't installed.</p><p>Oh well, tested on various 64bit versions and 2000/XP 32bit but not on XP 64bit unless testers didn't say so ... Of course there always has to be at least one case where it fails. David, If you'd be willing to go through some additional testing I'll create a logging version for you to find out what the issue is on your system, please send me an email (you should have my address). </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Is the new renderer "safe"? In other words, does it ignore all executable content such as scripting languages, ActiveX and all the other technologies that can be exploited to deliver malware?

<p>Is the new renderer "safe"? In other words, does it ignore all executable content such as scripting languages, ActiveX and all the other technologies that can be exploited to deliver malware?</p><p> </p>

[quote user="subelman"]

Is the new renderer "safe"? In other words, does it ignore all executable content such as scripting languages, ActiveX and all the other technologies that can be exploited to deliver malware?[/quote]

You can configure all this to the extent provided by the WebBrowser resp. MSHTML interface , by default these options are turned off; IOW: It depends on whether you're using the latest version plus patches, if any.

[quote user="subelman"]<p>Is the new renderer "safe"? In other words, does it ignore all executable content such as scripting languages, ActiveX and all the other technologies that can be exploited to deliver malware?[/quote]</p><p>You can configure all this to the extent provided by the WebBrowser resp. MSHTML interface , by default these options are turned off; IOW: It depends on whether you're using the latest version plus patches, if any. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="David_himself"]I wonder why your renderer didn't work. 

My system:  Win XP 64-bit edition, PMail 4.52 running with PMDebug.exe,

and there are two versions of IE6 (32-bit and 64-bit) available though

rarely used.[/quote]

This issue has been fixed now, see details about the latest version.

<p>[quote user="David_himself"]I wonder why your renderer didn't work.  My system:  Win XP 64-bit edition, PMail 4.52 running with PMDebug.exe, and there are two versions of IE6 (32-bit and 64-bit) available though rarely used.[/quote]</p><p>This issue has been fixed now, see <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx">details about the latest version</a>. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Hi Michael,
After a long time I actually had the first crash or freeze of PMail again. I pinpointed it to a specific email (same origin as the others I sent to you some time ago) and the crash could be reproduced; three times in a row. I still had 2.1.1.0 installed, crashed twice in preview. I installed the latest version 2.2.0.0 and crashed once in preview. I viewed it several times IER deactivated (under Bearhtml V. 4.6.9) and it did not crash. I will send you the message (CNM) as a zipped file.
As a side note. On my fairly old laptop, the IERenderer works noticeable faster than with Bearhtml.
Cheers
Thomas

Hi Michael, After a long time I actually had the first crash or freeze of PMail again. I pinpointed it to a specific email (same origin as the others I sent to you some time ago) and the crash could be reproduced; three times in a row. I still had 2.1.1.0 installed, crashed twice in preview. I installed the latest version 2.2.0.0 and crashed once in preview. I viewed it several times IER deactivated (under Bearhtml V. 4.6.9) and it did not crash. I will send you the message (CNM) as a zipped file. As a side note. On my fairly old laptop, the IERenderer works noticeable faster than with Bearhtml. Cheers Thomas

[quote user="Thomas-M. Stein"]After a long time I actually had the first crash or freeze of PMail again. I pinpointed it to a specific email (same origin as the others I sent to you some time ago) and the crash could be reproduced; three times in a row. I still had 2.1.1.0 installed, crashed twice in preview. I installed the latest version 2.2.0.0 and crashed once in preview.[/quote]

Thanks to the enhanced capabilities of my debugger tool (to be published these days) I could easily figure out what was happening and fix the bug.

[quote user="Thomas-M. Stein"]As a side note. On my fairly old laptop, the IERenderer works noticeable faster than with Bearhtml.[/quote]

Surprisingly given the fact that it uses the whole lot of IE related libraries ...

<p>[quote user="Thomas-M. Stein"]After a long time I actually had the first crash or freeze of PMail again. I pinpointed it to a specific email (same origin as the others I sent to you some time ago) and the crash could be reproduced; three times in a row. I still had 2.1.1.0 installed, crashed twice in preview. I installed the latest version 2.2.0.0 and crashed once in preview.[/quote]</p><p>Thanks to the enhanced capabilities of my debugger tool (to be published these days) I could easily figure out what was happening and fix the bug.</p><p>[quote user="Thomas-M. Stein"]As a side note. On my fairly old laptop, the IERenderer works noticeable faster than with Bearhtml.[/quote]</p><p>Surprisingly given the fact that it uses the whole lot of IE related libraries ...</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Another major update is available (not only) addressing some (UAC related) installer issues and a new vulnerability, for a complete list please go to the download page.

Another major update is available (not only) addressing some (UAC related) installer issues and a <a href="http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Microsoft-warns-of-zero-day-hole-in-Internet-Explorer-1130500.html" mce_href="http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Microsoft-warns-of-zero-day-hole-in-Internet-Explorer-1130500.html" target="_blank">new vulnerability</a>, for a complete list please go to the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" target="_blank">download page</a>.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"]Another major update is available (not only) addressing some (UAC related) installer issues and a new vulnerability, for a complete list please go to the download page.[/quote]

A couple of remaining issues with the previous version have been fixed now, see the download page.

<p>[quote user="idw"]Another major update is available (not only) addressing some (UAC related) installer issues and a <a href="http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Microsoft-warns-of-zero-day-hole-in-Internet-Explorer-1130500.html" mce_href="http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Microsoft-warns-of-zero-day-hole-in-Internet-Explorer-1130500.html" target="_blank">new vulnerability</a>, for a complete list please go to the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" target="_blank">download page</a>.[/quote]</p><p>A couple of remaining issues with the previous version have been fixed now, see the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" target="_blank">download page</a>.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

How is it possible to download it? I keep getting:

"

Access Denied

You do not have permissions to perform the requested action."

tom

<p>How is it possible to download it? I keep getting:</p><p> "</p><div align="center"> <div class="CommonMessageArea"> <h4 class="CommonMessageTitle"><span id="ctl00_bcr_ctl00___MessageTitle">Access Denied</span></h4> <div class="CommonMessageContent"> <span id="ctl00_bcr_ctl00___MessageBody">You do not have permissions to perform the requested action."</span></div><div class="CommonMessageContent"> </div><div class="CommonMessageContent"> </div><div class="CommonMessageContent"> tom</div> </div> </div><p> </p>

http://TomTrottier.com

Aha, i need to have the RefControl active. This should be noted!

tOM

<p>Aha, i need to have the RefControl active. This should be noted!</p><p> </p><p>tOM </p>

http://TomTrottier.com

I'm not having any issues downloading from the link in the message - whether logged into the forums or not.  No setting has to be changed for me - what are you referring to?

I'm not having any issues downloading from the link in the message - whether logged into the forums or not.  No setting has to be changed for me - what are you referring to?

[quote user="tOM"]Aha, i need to have the RefControl active. [/quote]

What is RefControl? And how are we supposed to know without being site admin?

<p>[quote user="tOM"]Aha, i need to have the RefControl active. [/quote]</p><p>What is <em>RefControl</em>? And how are we supposed to know without being site admin?</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Just FYI: Since IERenderer is now part of the official Pegasus Mail distribution (4.61 and later) it cannot be installed separately on previous versions anymore (due to some interface changes). It's still available as a separate download, though, as I will (need to) continue providing fixes and adjustments in time as required. A reason for already doing so just now is the imminent release of IE 9 as I didn't want to delay the current Pegasus Mail release any longer. IOW: After installing Pegasus Mail 4.61 it might be a good idea to update IERenderer once again (it also fixes some issues not related to IE 9).

Just FYI: Since IERenderer is now part of <a href="http://www.pmail.com/v46x.htm" mce_href="http://www.pmail.com/v46x.htm" target="_blank">the official Pegasus Mail distribution</a> (4.61 and later) it cannot be installed separately on previous versions anymore (due to some interface changes). It's still available as <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" target="_blank">a separate download</a>, though, as I will (need to) continue providing fixes and adjustments in time as required. A reason for already doing so just now is the imminent release of IE 9 as I didn't want to delay the current Pegasus Mail release any longer. IOW: After installing Pegasus Mail 4.61 it might be a good idea to update IERenderer once again (it also fixes some issues not related to IE 9).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Hello,

I have a problem of setup IERenderer. During install/uninstall of "Pegasus Mail HTML Renderer 2.4.0.2" I keep getting the message (in German)

Das Setup hat entdeckt, dass Pegasus Mail zur Zeit ausgeführt wird.
Bitte schließen Sie jetzt alle laufenden Instanzen, und klicken Sie auf OK um fortzufahren, oder auf "Abbrechen" um zu beenden.

It means something like:
The setup has found, that Pegasus Mail is running at the moment.
Please close all running instances and press OK to continue or Cancel to end the setup.

I made sure, that Pegasus Mail is really not running, but did not succeed. I tried on a client with Windows 7-64 bit and on a Client with XP SP3

We use Pegasus in a central installation and our clients start the program directly from the server. Now I would like to distribute the new version of IERenderer to this program folder, but I am unable to extract the files from the setup. What can I do? 

<p>Hello,</p><p>I have a problem of setup IERenderer. During install/uninstall of "Pegasus Mail HTML Renderer 2.4.0.2" I keep getting the message (in German)</p><p><em>Das Setup hat entdeckt, dass Pegasus Mail zur Zeit ausgeführt wird. </em><em>Bitte schließen Sie jetzt alle laufenden Instanzen, und klicken Sie auf OK um fortzufahren, oder auf "Abbrechen" um zu beenden.</em></p><p>It means something like: The setup has found, that Pegasus Mail is running at the moment. Please close all running instances and press OK to continue or Cancel to end the setup. </p><p>I made sure, that Pegasus Mail is really not running, but did not succeed. I tried on a client with Windows 7-64 bit and on a Client with XP SP3</p><p> </p><p>We use Pegasus in a central installation and our clients start the program directly from the server. Now I would like to distribute the new version of IERenderer to this program folder, but I am unable to extract the files from the setup. What can I do? <em> </em></p>

[quote user="konus"]We use Pegasus in a central installation and our clients start the program directly from the server. Now I would like to distribute the new version of IERenderer to this program folder, but I am unable to extract the files from the setup. What can I do? [/quote]

Ensure that none of the clients runs Pegasus Mail - and it might be a good idea to run the setup directly on the server if you keep getting errors: The setup actually checks whether it has write access to WINPM-32.EXE which you'd probably never get from a client machine. If you just need to update an existing install of IERenderer there's a tool available for extracting its setup at Sourceforge: Please do not use it for an initial install of IERenderer as this will almost certainly fail if you don't know exactly how to do it.

<p>[quote user="konus"]We use Pegasus in a central installation and our clients start the program directly from the server. Now I would like to distribute the new version of IERenderer to this program folder, but I am unable to extract the files from the setup. What can I do? [/quote]</p><p>Ensure that <em>none of the clients</em> runs Pegasus Mail - and it might be a good idea to run the setup directly on the server if you keep getting errors: The setup actually checks whether it has write access to WINPM-32.EXE which you'd probably never get from a client machine. If you just need to update an existing install of IERenderer there's a tool available for extracting its setup at <a href="http://innounp.sourceforge.net/" mce_href="http://innounp.sourceforge.net/" target="_blank">Sourceforge</a>: Please do <em>not</em> use it for an initial install of IERenderer as this will almost certainly fail if you don't know exactly how to do it.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

The following problem occurs with Pmail 4.61 (french version)/IERenderer 2.4.2.1 installed on Windows 2003 Server. Everything was running fine until version 2.4.1.0 of IERenderer. We upgraded to version 2.4.2.1 and now at each PMail startup we get a Runtime Error 216 with a message saying that an error occurs when loading IERenderer extension. The only solution to bypass the problem was to rename IERenderer.fff, IERenderer.ffr and IERenderer.dll.

Can you help ?

Many thanks in advance.

<P>The following problem occurs with Pmail 4.61 (french version)/IERenderer 2.4.2.1 installed on Windows 2003 Server. Everything was running fine until version 2.4.1.0 of IERenderer. We upgraded to version 2.4.2.1 and now at each PMail startup we get a Runtime Error 216 with a message saying that an error occurs when loading IERenderer extension. The only solution to bypass the problem was to rename IERenderer.fff, IERenderer.ffr and IERenderer.dll.</P> <P>Can you help ?</P> <P>Many thanks in advance.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft