Community Discussions and Support
Update - resolved - Pegasus "Freezing" when sending email

A PS on this:  it now appears the delays I was getting must have been due to interactions between McAfee v11 and the version of COMODO Pro firewall I was using.  I upgraded the latter to the latest v3.0 yesterday, and these connection delays (it was happening whenever Pegasus connected either via POP3 or SMTP) have magically disappeared.

A PS on this:  it now appears the delays I was getting must have been due to interactions between McAfee v11 and the version of COMODO Pro firewall I was using.  I upgraded the latter to the latest v3.0 yesterday, and these connection delays (it was happening whenever Pegasus connected either via POP3 or SMTP) have magically disappeared.

I am experiencing an unpleasant thing. When Pegasus is sending or receiving emails, it almost freezes - it is impossible to write or even read emails, as the system reacts to any action (moving mouse, pressing key) with huge delay. I am not sure if there is not an interference with some other software, as this was not happening to me some time ago. I know i had been upgrading PGP since, but most of my installations had not changed. Any idea about how to get around this?

<p>I am experiencing an unpleasant thing. When Pegasus is sending or receiving emails, it almost freezes - it is impossible to write or even read emails, as the system reacts to any action (moving mouse, pressing key) with huge delay. I am not sure if there is not an interference with some other software, as this was not happening to me some time ago. I know i had been upgrading PGP since, but most of my installations had not changed. Any idea about how to get around this?  </p>

I have recently been having the same problem, and it started happening when I upgraded my McAfee VirusScan to v 11 (this package is provided free by my employer).  For some reason, this version introduces a delay of several seconds from when Pegasus first requests the POP or SMTP connection to when an end-to-end connection is successfully opened and Pegasus can get on with the dialogue.

I have recently been having the same problem, and it started happening when I upgraded my McAfee VirusScan to v 11 (this package is provided free by my employer).  For some reason, this version introduces a delay of several seconds from when Pegasus first requests the POP or SMTP connection to when an end-to-end connection is successfully opened and Pegasus can get on with the dialogue.

On 9 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email  wrote:

> I am experiencing an unpleasant thing. When Pegasus is
> sending or receiving emails, it almost freezes - it is
> impossible to write or even read emails, as the system reacts
> to any action (moving mouse, pressing key) with huge delay. I
> am not sure if there is not an interference with some other
> software, as this was not happening to me some time ago. I
> know i had been upgrading PGP since, but most of my
> installations had not changed. Any idea about how to get
> around this?

Not sure what is happening but what version of Pegasus Mail are you using?  

What type of connection do you have to the servers?  Dialup? DSL? Cable?

One thing you can do to reduce the problem until it's fixed is turn off the automated sending/receiving unless the system is idle in File | Network configuration | (Receiving)POP3

On 9 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email  wrote: > I am experiencing an unpleasant thing. When Pegasus is > sending or receiving emails, it almost freezes - it is > impossible to write or even read emails, as the system reacts > to any action (moving mouse, pressing key) with huge delay. I > am not sure if there is not an interference with some other > software, as this was not happening to me some time ago. I > know i had been upgrading PGP since, but most of my > installations had not changed. Any idea about how to get > around this? Not sure what is happening but what version of Pegasus Mail are you using?   What type of connection do you have to the servers?  Dialup? DSL? Cable? One thing you can do to reduce the problem until it's fixed is turn off the automated sending/receiving unless the system is idle in File | Network configuration | (Receiving)POP3

[quote user="Adrian the Rock"]I have recently been having the same problem, and it started happening when I upgraded my McAfee VirusScan to v 11 (this package is provided free by my employer).  For some reason, this version introduces a delay of several seconds from when Pegasus first requests the POP or SMTP connection to when an end-to-end connection is successfully opened and Pegasus can get on with the dialogue.[/quote]

I'm also using McAfee v11 (also free from my past employer) on my systems but I do not have any problems like this at all.  Are you using McAfee between WinPMail and the POP3/SMTP hosts to filter your mail? If so try turning this off and see what happens.

<p>[quote user="Adrian the Rock"]I have recently been having the same problem, and it started happening when I upgraded my McAfee VirusScan to v 11 (this package is provided free by my employer).  For some reason, this version introduces a delay of several seconds from when Pegasus first requests the POP or SMTP connection to when an end-to-end connection is successfully opened and Pegasus can get on with the dialogue.[/quote]</p><p> I'm also using McAfee v11 (also free from my past employer) on my systems but I do not have any problems like this at all.  Are you using McAfee between WinPMail and the POP3/SMTP hosts to filter your mail? If so try turning this off and see what happens.</p><p>  </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

...  Are you using McAfee between WinPMail and the POP3/SMTP hosts to filter your mail? If so try turning this off and see what happens.

[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm using.  I've just tested switching it off temporarily and, when I do so, Pegasus connects to the POP/SMTP servers like greased lightning, as it did while I was using McAfee v10.

But as I regard this issue as no more than an irritation, and would prefer to keep McAfee mail checking enabled, I am prepared to live with these occasional short freezes.  At least I understand what's going on.

BTW the delays take place while Pegasus has the message "POP3 connecting to ..." displayed on the status line (or "SMTP connecting..." when sending outgoing emails.)  Once the message changes to (eg) "Downloading header..." then it flies again.

Adie

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] <P>...  Are you using McAfee between WinPMail and the POP3/SMTP hosts to filter your mail? If so try turning this off and see what happens.</P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>That's exactly what I'm using.  I've just tested switching it off temporarily and, when I do so, Pegasus connects to the POP/SMTP servers like greased lightning, as it did while I was using McAfee v10.</P> <P>But as I regard this issue as no more than an irritation, and would prefer to keep McAfee mail checking enabled, I am prepared to live with these occasional short freezes.  At least I understand what's going on.</P> <P>BTW the delays take place while Pegasus has the message "POP3 connecting to ..." displayed on the status line (or "SMTP connecting..." when sending outgoing emails.)  Once the message changes to (eg) "Downloading header..." then it flies again.</P> <P>Adie</P>

On 9 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email  wrote:

> That's exactly what I'm using.  I've just tested switching it
> off temporarily and, when I do so, Pegasus connects to the
> POP/SMTP servers like greased lightning, as it did while I
> was using McAfee v10.

Personally I'd use Martin's VirScan to do this and take McAffee out of the picture.

Name of Program: VIRSCAN: Virus Scanning Extension for Pegasus Mail
Location/Filename <URL:mailto:Martin.Ireland@gov.ab.ca?Subject=send_virscan>
<URL:ftp://risc.ua.edu/pegasus/misc/virscan.zip>
Date/Version: Version 1.24 Mar 2001
Author/email contact: Martin Ireland <Martin.Ireland@gov.ab.ca>
Documentation: Included in zip file, Virscan.zip
Features: Extension to invoke virus scanning program of user choice when Pegasus Mail saves or views mail message attachments.
Comments: Available for Windows PCs. 16 and 32 bit versions available and tested on Windows 95, 98, and Windows NT Workstation 4.0.
Defaults to NAI's VirusScan engine. Multi-language support included.  

>
> But as I regard this issue as no more than an irritation, and
> would prefer to keep McAfee mail checking enabled, I am
> prepared to live with these occasional short freezes.  At
> least I understand what's going on.

Your call but these POP3/SMTP proxies that break the TCP/IP services I find a pain in the rear.  You might want to bring this up to McAfee and ask them how to speed this up.

>
> BTW the delays take place while Pegasus has the message "POP3
> connecting to ..." displayed on the status line (or "SMTP
> connecting..." when sending outgoing emails.)  Once the
> message changes to (eg) "Downloading header..." then it flies
> again.
>
> Adie

On 9 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email&amp;nbsp; wrote: &amp;gt; That&#039;s exactly what I&#039;m using.&amp;nbsp; I&#039;ve just tested switching it &amp;gt; off temporarily and, when I do so, Pegasus connects to the &amp;gt; POP/SMTP servers like greased lightning, as it did while I &amp;gt; was using McAfee v10. Personally I&#039;d use Martin&#039;s VirScan to do this and take McAffee out of the picture. Name of Program: VIRSCAN: Virus Scanning Extension for Pegasus Mail Location/Filename &amp;lt;URL:mailto:Martin.Ireland@gov.ab.ca?Subject=send_virscan&amp;gt; &amp;lt;URL:ftp://risc.ua.edu/pegasus/misc/virscan.zip&amp;gt; Date/Version: Version 1.24 Mar 2001 Author/email contact: Martin Ireland &amp;lt;Martin.Ireland@gov.ab.ca&amp;gt; Status: Freeware Documentation: Included in zip file, Virscan.zip Features: Extension to invoke virus scanning program of user choice when Pegasus Mail saves or views mail message attachments. Comments: Available for Windows PCs. 16 and 32 bit versions available and tested on Windows 95, 98, and Windows NT Workstation 4.0. Defaults to NAI&#039;s VirusScan engine. Multi-language support included. &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; But as I regard this issue as no more than an irritation, and &amp;gt; would prefer to keep McAfee mail checking enabled, I am &amp;gt; prepared to live with these occasional short freezes.&amp;nbsp; At &amp;gt; least I understand what&#039;s going on. Your call but these POP3/SMTP proxies that break the TCP/IP services I find a pain in the rear.&amp;nbsp; You might want to bring this up to McAfee and ask them how to speed this up. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; BTW the delays take place while Pegasus has the message &quot;POP3 &amp;gt; connecting to ...&quot; displayed on the status line (or &quot;SMTP &amp;gt; connecting...&quot; when sending outgoing emails.)&amp;nbsp; Once the &amp;gt; message changes to (eg) &quot;Downloading header...&quot; then it flies &amp;gt; again. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Adie

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Personally I'd use Martin's VirScan to do this and take McAffee out of the picture.[/quote]I know about Virscan, and looked into that once before, but I don't believe the version of McAfee I'm licenced for includes a command-line invocation option.[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Your call but these POP3/SMTP proxies that break the TCP/IP services I find a pain in the rear.  You might want to bring this up to McAfee and ask them how to speed this up.[/quote]Maybe, though taking a few seconds to establish a connection, which once done then works fine, is hardly "breaking" the service.
Adie

&lt;P&gt;[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]Personally I&#039;d use Martin&#039;s VirScan to do this and take McAffee out of the picture.[/quote]I know about Virscan, and looked into that once before, but I don&#039;t believe the version of McAfee I&#039;m licenced for includes a command-line invocation option.[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]Your call but these POP3/SMTP proxies that break the TCP/IP services I find a pain in the rear.&amp;nbsp; You might want to bring this up to McAfee and ask them how to speed this up.[/quote]Maybe, though taking a few seconds to establish a connection, which once done then works fine, is hardly &quot;breaking&quot; the service. Adie&lt;/P&gt;

Hi Thomas,

i am using the newest version of Pegasus, ie PM 4.41. As this problem did not occur some time ago, i guess it might be either specific problem of this
 new version, or some conflict with PGP that i upgraded also recently.

The freezing occurs with any kind of connection, ie modem, WiFi or LAN.

And i always had (and have) the automated receive/send function disabled.

Jan 

&lt;p&gt;Hi Thomas,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;i am using the newest version of Pegasus, ie PM 4.41. As this problem did not occur some time ago, i guess it might be either specific problem of this &amp;nbsp;new version, or some conflict with PGP that i upgraded also recently.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The freezing occurs with any kind of connection, ie modem, WiFi or LAN.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;And i always had (and have) the automated receive/send function disabled.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; Jan&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft