Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Reply text color

Hello! [quote user="Eliel Salles"]

The text color option for replies only work when I use this option with the quoted sign ">" checked. When I uncheck "Prefix text included from the original with ">" markers the text color is always the default (black).[/quote] Note that the different colours you see there is at your end; this is probably totally different from what is displayed at the receiving end.

Speaking of text-only messages, I can say that the difference in colours is more a visual hint than a real formatting; you should not think of it as a formatting style, but simply a visual clue.
The receiver will get a message that contains a quote, and each line of the quote is indicated by ">", whereas the maintext (=the text you have written) has no ">" before it. However, there is probably not much more that can be predicted: perhaps, the receiver uses a similar colour set that indicates a quote by a different colour...or he does not anything like that, so he will tell quoted and unquoted text simply by ">" (without any colour difference).

If I understand correctly, you want a solution that results in the same layout and display for both you (as the author of the message when writing the message) and the receiver (when reading your message). I am not really sure about that, but I think you have to write an HTML-reply then.

[quote] I usually reply to clients inquiries using a different color. The problem I am having is that for every message I reply I have to setup the color manually. The quoted sign ">" often messes up the message's format and I would prefer not having to use it. [/quote] Well, are you replying to HTNL-mails? If so, you may want to test whether the preserving option is helpful to you.
When replying, you will see a "Reply options"-window. One of the options is "For replies to HTML; preserve the original's formatting". This is what teh help file says about that option:

When this control is checked, Pegasus Mail will examine the message to which you are replying: if it is an HTML message containing graphics or formatting of any kind, it will insert it into the message preserving the formatting it contains. When doing this, it is no longer possible to prefix lines from the original with ">" markers, and that setting will be ignored. The original message will be inserted complete with all its formatting below a line [...]. This setting only applies to HTML messages containing formatting - it is ignored for non-HTML messages.
As the ">"-markers ignored (and not added at all), you may try and find out whether that option prevents your replies from getting messed (given that you are replying to an HTML-message).

[quote] I tried to modify the line Commenting string = "> " in the pmail.ini file but the program brings the default sign back.[/quote] As far as I know, the string is one of the options that depend on the identity. If that is true, you would have to edit the whole "pmail.ini"; at least, you would have to edit all commenting string settings you can find in "pmail.ini".

Hello! [quote user="Eliel Salles"]<P><FONT color="#990000">The text color option for replies only work when I use this option with the quoted sign ">" checked. When I uncheck "Prefix text included from the original with ">" markers the text color is always the default (black).</FONT>[/quote] Note that the different colours you see there is at <I>your</I> end; this is probably totally different from what is displayed at the <I>receiving</I> end. Speaking of <U>text-only messages</U>, I can say that the difference in colours is more a visual hint than a real formatting; you should not think of it as a formatting style, but simply a visual clue. The receiver will get a message that contains a quote, and each line of the quote is indicated by ">", whereas the maintext (=the text you have written) has no ">" before it. However, there is probably not much more that can be predicted: perhaps, the receiver uses a similar colour set that indicates a quote by a different colour...or he does not anything like that, so he will tell quoted and unquoted text simply by ">" (without any colour difference). If I understand correctly, you want a solution that results in the same layout and display for both you (as the author of the message when writing the message) and the receiver (when reading your message). I am not really sure about that, but I <I>think</I> you have to write an HTML-reply then. [quote] <FONT color="#990000">I usually reply to clients inquiries using a different color. The problem I am having is that for every message I reply I have to setup the color manually. The quoted sign ">" often messes up the message's format and I would prefer not having to use it.</FONT> [/quote] Well, are you replying to HTNL-mails? If so, you may want to test whether the preserving option is helpful to you. When replying, you will see a "Reply options"-window. One of the options is "For replies to HTML; preserve the original's formatting". This is what teh help file says about that option: <I> </P><BLOCKQUOTE>When this control is checked, Pegasus Mail will examine the message to which you are replying: if it is an HTML message containing graphics or formatting of any kind, it will insert it into the message preserving the formatting it contains. When doing this, it is no longer possible to prefix lines from the original with ">" markers, and that setting will be ignored. The original message will be inserted complete with all its formatting below a line [...]. This setting only applies to HTML messages containing formatting - it is ignored for non-HTML messages. </BLOCKQUOTE></I>As the ">"-markers ignored (and not added at all), you may try and find out whether that option prevents your replies from getting messed (given that you are replying to an HTML-message). [quote] <FONT color="#990000">I tried to modify the line Commenting string = "> " in the pmail.ini file but the program brings the default sign back.</FONT>[/quote] As far as I know, the string is one of the options that depend on the identity. If that is true, you would have to edit the whole "pmail.ini"; at least, you would have to edit <STRONG>all</STRONG> commenting string settings you can find in "pmail.ini".

Would it be possible to add in the tools/incoming mail/message reader settings the possibility of changing the text color of the message received without using the quote sign (>)?

Would it be possible to add in the tools/incoming mail/message reader settings the possibility of changing the text color of the message received without using the quote sign (>)?

If I understand you correctly, go to :

Tools-> Options -> Incoming Mail -> Message Reader, here you can set the quoted colour and enable italics. 

Also, in the Reply Options you can Check/Uncheck "Prefix text included from the original with ">" markers

<p>If I understand you correctly, go to :</p><p>Tools-> Options -> Incoming Mail -> Message Reader, here you can set the quoted colour and enable italics. </p><p> Also, in the Reply Options you can Check/Uncheck "Prefix text included from the original with ">" markers </p><p> </p>

The text color option for replies only work when I use this option with the quoted sign ">" checked. When I uncheck "Prefix text included from the original with ">" markers the text color is always the default (black).

I usually reply to clients inquiries using a different color. The problem I am having is that for every message I reply I have to setup the color manually. The quoted sign ">" often messes up the message's format and I would prefer not having to use it.

I tried to modify the line Commenting string = "> " in the pmail.ini file but the program brings the default sign back.

<p>The text color option for replies only work when I use this option with the quoted sign ">" checked. When I uncheck "Prefix text included from the original with ">" markers the text color is always the default (black).  I usually reply to clients inquiries using a different color. The problem I am having is that for every message I reply I have to setup the color manually. The quoted sign ">" often messes up the message's format and I would prefer not having to use it.</p><p>I tried to modify the line Commenting string = "> " in the pmail.ini file but the program brings the default sign back. </p>

[quote user="Eliel Salles"]

The text color option for replies only work when I use this option with the quoted sign ">" checked. When I uncheck "Prefix text included from the original with ">" markers the text color is always the default (black).

I usually reply to clients inquiries using a different color. The problem I am having is that for every message I reply I have to setup the color manually.[/quote]

You'd have to send in HTML format, if you wanted to reply in a different colour (and even then there's no guarantee that your recipient will see the colours, since the recipient may be viewing in plain text). With plain text this is only a display thing that has to do with what you see.

[quote]The quoted sign ">" often messes up the message's format and I would prefer not having to use it.

I tried to modify the line Commenting string = "> " in the pmail.ini file but the program brings the default sign back.[/quote]

You could reformat the text in the messages you receive if it very messed up. But, again, if you're using plain text,even if you could send the message without the quote character, how your recipient sees it is dependent on what his program does.

The current RFC for plain text email (RFC 3676) addresses the problem--read on from Section 3.2 "Embarrasing Line Wrap":

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt

Mailers that have implemented this still wrap text at around 72 characters--which is necessary for backwards-compatibility--but indicate how to rejoin the lines by using space-characters. Such a mailer will also display messages differently: quotation is treated as an attribute on the paragraph, not a character within its flow, and shown with quote-bars. However, a mailer that doesn't use quote bars will still display quotation within such a message with greater-than signs. To cut a long story short, this isn't within your control as the sender either.

[quote user="Eliel Salles"]<P>The text color option for replies only work when I use this option with the quoted sign ">" checked. When I uncheck "Prefix text included from the original with ">" markers the text color is always the default (black).  I usually reply to clients inquiries using a different color. The problem I am having is that for every message I reply I have to setup the color manually.[/quote]</P><P>You'd have to send in HTML format, if you wanted to reply in a different colour (and even then there's no guarantee that your recipient will see the colours, since the recipient may be viewing in plain text). With plain text this is only a display thing that has to do with what [I]you[/I] see.</P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P><P>[quote]The quoted sign ">" often messes up the message's format and I would prefer not having to use it.</P><P>I tried to modify the line Commenting string = "> " in the pmail.ini file but the program brings the default sign back.[/quote] </P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P><P>You could reformat the text in the messages you receive if it very messed up. But, again, if you're using plain text,even if you could send the message without the quote character, how your recipient sees it is dependent on what [I]his[/I] program does.</P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P><P>The current RFC for plain text email (RFC 3676) addresses the problem--read on from Section 3.2 "Embarrasing Line Wrap":</P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P><P>http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt</P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P><P>Mailers that have implemented this still wrap text at around 72 characters--which is necessary for backwards-compatibility--but indicate how to rejoin the lines by using space-characters. Such a mailer will also display messages differently: quotation is treated as an attribute on the paragraph, not a character within its flow, and shown with quote-bars. However, a mailer that doesn't use quote bars will still display quotation within such a message with greater-than signs. To cut a long story short, this isn't within your control as the sender either.</P><P><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft