Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Password Manager

Actually, thinking about this you already have similar functionality.

If you run Pegasus in multi-user mode you have to enter a password to access the program, so I guess that's the same.

<p>Actually, thinking about this you already have similar functionality.</p><p> </p><p>If you run Pegasus in multi-user mode you have to enter a password to access the program, so I guess that's the same.</p>

I'd like to suggest this--not because I particularly want it, but because I think this is the way the wind is blowing.

This has been available system-wide on Mac OS X for as long as I can remember via the Keychain--in general, system-wide functionality is an important, if little-known advantage of Mac as opposed to Win (c.f., keybindings, shared-clipboard, spellchecking, and God-knows-what-else).

Anyway, the KDE desktop has gained something similar with KWallet; and I just installed Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows to see what was there, and the password manager for that now asks on start-up for the master-password.  Previously, setting a master-password merely shut you out from reading the passwords in the password-manager. Now it seems, it is standing guard over them.  Of course, you don't have to set one--but you can--and my guess is people will be looking for that soon.

<p>I'd like to suggest this--not because I particularly want it, but because I think this is the way the wind is blowing.</p><p> </p><p>This has been available system-wide on Mac OS X for as long as I can remember via the Keychain--in general, system-wide functionality is an important, if little-known advantage of Mac as opposed to Win (c.f., keybindings, shared-clipboard, spellchecking, and God-knows-what-else).</p><p> </p><p>Anyway, the KDE desktop has gained something similar with KWallet; and I just installed Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows to see what was there, and the password manager for that now asks on start-up for the master-password.  Previously, setting a master-password merely shut you out from reading the passwords in the password-manager. Now it seems, it is standing guard over them.  Of course, you don't have to set one--but you [I]can[/i]--and my guess is people will be looking for that soon. </p>

I suspect I'm too lacking in context to be able to follow this one, sorry Mike - but I'm really not sure what any of this means. Could you clarify a little what you're suggesting?

Cheers!

-- David --

I suspect I'm too lacking in context to be able to follow this one, sorry Mike - but I'm really not sure what any of this means. Could you clarify a little what you're suggesting? Cheers! -- David --

[quote user="David Harris"]I suspect I'm too lacking in context to be able to follow this one, sorry Mike - but I'm really not sure what any of this means. Could you clarify a little what you're suggesting?[/quote]

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant where you fill in/store your account passwords. So you could have a facility to set a master password: if you put that in, the password manager lets you see your passwords. This is what Thunderbird has done for some time. What seems to be new in version 2 is that when you start the program it asks for the master password, if you've set one. Without that it won't pass your POP/IMAP passwords to the server (just like with OS X's keychain and the KDE wallet).

Now I suspect most people wouldn't set a master password--wouldn't want the inconvenience of being asked for it on launch. However, if you do, it does mean that anyone who has momentary access to your machine while it is logged in can't download and read your mail, so long as the mail client isn't already running and even though you can permanently store as many different account usernames and passwords as you need in it. I can see some people wanting that.

<p>[quote user="David Harris"]I suspect I'm too lacking in context to be able to follow this one, sorry Mike - but I'm really not sure what any of this means. Could you clarify a little what you're suggesting?[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant where you fill in/store your account passwords. So you could have a facility to set a master password: if you put that in, the password manager lets you see your passwords. This is what Thunderbird has done for some time. What seems to be new in version 2 is that when you start the program it asks for the master password, if you've set one. Without that it won't pass your POP/IMAP passwords to the server (just like with OS X's keychain and the KDE wallet).</p><p>Now I suspect most people wouldn't set a master password--wouldn't want the inconvenience of being asked for it on launch. However, if you do, it does mean that anyone who has momentary access to your machine while it is logged in can't download and read your mail, so long as the mail client isn't already running and even though you can permanently store as many different account usernames and passwords as you need in it. I can see some people wanting that.</p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft