Mercury Suggestions
Secondary/slave configuration

Well, you can run the NLM version of Mercury handling mail delivery on a netware server and have a Windows server running Mercury/32 as an IMAP server in netware mode to read mail.

You have to run Mercury/32 on windows though for this, even if it is just purely for IMAP, there is no way round that.

David. 

<p>Well, you can run the NLM version of Mercury handling mail delivery on a netware server and have a Windows server running Mercury/32 as an IMAP server in netware mode to read mail.</p><p> You have to run Mercury/32 on windows though for this, even if it is just purely for IMAP, there is no way round that.</p><p> David. </p>

Maybe this feature exists, if not, I'd like to be able to run a secondary Mercury server such that it serves the same queue as a primary server.  The purpose is twofold, first to provide redundancy, second to provide faster processing of the queue (core module).  My server runs on a pretty slow machine and normally doesn't have much trouble, but sometimes it can get very backed up under heavy spam load.  I'd like to use a second old box (or a VM machine on a faster box) to help process the queue faster and to act as a failover MX in the event the first box goes up in flames. 

Maybe this feature exists, if not, I'd like to be able to run a secondary Mercury server such that it serves the same queue as a primary server.  The purpose is twofold, first to provide redundancy, second to provide faster processing of the queue (core module).  My server runs on a pretty slow machine and normally doesn't have much trouble, but sometimes it can get very backed up under heavy spam load.  I'd like to use a second old box (or a VM machine on a faster box) to help process the queue faster and to act as a failover MX in the event the first box goes up in flames. 

Redundancy is not part of the upcoming release.

I am too running a rather slow machine, but we stop most spam with RBL-configs, so that the connections are dropped and doesn't affect bandwidth or processing power too much. You may also want to read the following post to reduce the spam load: http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/987.aspx

<P>Redundancy is not part of the upcoming release.</P> <P>I am too running a rather slow machine, but we stop most spam with RBL-configs, so that the connections are dropped and doesn't affect bandwidth or processing power too much. You may also want to read the following post to reduce the spam load: <A href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/987.aspx">http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/987.aspx</A></P>

Unfortunately, I cannot block spam at that level as it must be received and stored for legal purposes.

Unfortunately, I cannot block spam at that level as it must be received and stored for legal purposes.

Are you also legally required to file & archive all the promo's and flyers etc that you receive in your physical post?

Are you also legally required to file & archive all the promo's and flyers etc that you receive in your physical post?

[quote user="Barius"]Unfortunately, I cannot block spam at that level as it must be received and stored for legal purposes.[/quote]

Our government and local authorities suffer from the same dilemma.

What you could do is probably (haven't tested this yet) set up two mx pointers with equal weight, thus the load should even out between the two hosts receiving - these in turn serve the same backend maildrops but with their individual queues.

<P>[quote user="Barius"]Unfortunately, I cannot block spam at that level as it must be received and stored for legal purposes.[/quote]</P> <P>Our government and local authorities suffer from the same dilemma.</P> <P>What you could do is probably (haven't tested this yet) set up two mx pointers with equal weight, thus the load should even out between the two hosts receiving - these in turn serve the same backend maildrops but with their individual queues.</P>

@dilbert

legally, every email (in or out) must be stored exactly as it was received by the server.  Only after it has been stored can I run it through a spam processor (Spamhalter in my case, it's really really good!).

@Peter,

I'm not sure this would work since we use a Netware server with Mercury/Pegasus.

1 - Won't there be no conflict in the NDS?  Can two queues exist in the same NDS tree at the same time? 

2 - How does Pegasus figure out where to put the outgoing email in such a situation?

<p>@dilbert</p><p>legally, every email (in or out) must be stored exactly as it was received by the server.  Only after it has been stored can I run it through a spam processor (Spamhalter in my case, it's really really good!). </p><p> </p><p>@Peter,</p><p>I'm not sure this would work since we use a Netware server with Mercury/Pegasus.</p><p>1 - Won't there be no conflict in the NDS?  Can two queues exist in the same NDS tree at the same time?  </p><p>2 - How does Pegasus figure out where to put the outgoing email in such a situation?  </p>

We skipped NW many years ago, but back then the NDS was only used to retrieve where to locally deliver the mails.

I guess you could set up a secondary and use MercuryC to forward to the host in contact with the NDS-Maildrops.

<P>We skipped NW many years ago, but back then the NDS was only used to retrieve where to locally deliver the mails.</P> <P>I guess you could set up a secondary and use MercuryC to forward to the host in contact with the NDS-Maildrops.</P>

Dear all, I would like to install secondary Mercury for a different reason:

Our admin refuses ALL types of Windows servers. Unfortunately the NLM version (which we use) cannot provide IMAP4. Is it possible to install a Mercury/32 server to act as IMAP4 server next to the working Mercury NLM? Is these two versions (Mercury/32 , Mercury NLM) are compatible with stored e-mails (*.CNM)?

I would like to read/delete/reply my e-mails in my mobile while I do not have access my computer.

Thanks 

<p>Dear all, I would like to install secondary Mercury for a different reason: </p><p>Our admin refuses ALL types of Windows servers. Unfortunately the NLM version (which we use) cannot provide IMAP4. Is it possible to install a Mercury/32 server to act as IMAP4 server next to the working Mercury NLM? Is these two versions (Mercury/32 , Mercury NLM) are compatible with stored e-mails (*.CNM)?</p><p>I would like to read/delete/reply my e-mails in my mobile while I do not have access my computer.</p><p>Thanks </p>

[quote user="Márk Vértesaljai"] Our admin refuses ALL types of Windows servers. Unfortunately the NLM version (which we use) cannot provide IMAP4. Is it possible to install a Mercury/32 server to act as IMAP4 server next to the working Mercury NLM?[/quote]

No

[quote user="Márk Vértesaljai"] I would like to read/delete/reply my e-mails in my mobile while I do not have access my computer.[/quote]

Set it up using POP3.

<P>[quote user="Márk Vértesaljai"] Our admin refuses ALL types of Windows servers. Unfortunately the NLM version (which we use) cannot provide IMAP4. Is it possible to install a Mercury/32 server to act as IMAP4 server next to the working Mercury NLM?[/quote]</P> <P> No</P> <P>[quote user="Márk Vértesaljai"] I would like to read/delete/reply my e-mails in my mobile while I do not have access my computer.[/quote]</P> <P>Set it up using POP3.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft