Community Discussions and Support
Excess dots in filenames can look like a virus - "banging head against brick wall"

There is unfortunately just one address for all mails going out, the ones that return do return for reasons I need to address individually.

Hopefully this is better handled in CS2007.

<P>There is unfortunately just one address for all mails going out, the ones that return do return for reasons I need to address individually.</P> <P>Hopefully this is better handled in CS2007.</P>

I have read how several people felt they were banging their heads against brick wall in trying to convince Symantec that there was an error.

I now have a rather similar problem with Bluecoat/Winproxy and a domain Registrar.

Winproxy detects multiple filename extensions, i.e. more than one "." present, as being suspicious, in view of vulnerabilities in Lookout! and removes them. I am regularly sent invoices by Joker.com with filenames like "invoice.607.pdf" and therefore all I actually get is "WinProxy has detected a suspicious file (due to MS Outlook vulnerability) attached to this e-mail message! The attachment has been automatically removed to protect your network."

I told Joker.com that multiple filename extensions are potentially dodgy, but they simply say "fix your AV software" and that they are not going to change their filenames! I suspect that if I try telling them that it is their bad practice in using multiple filename extensions that is the problem, and that indeed my AV system is doing the right thing with the files, I will then get into the same sort of situation as people did with Symantec.

I can't be the only person having this problem...! Any ideas much appreciated.

I have read how several people felt they were banging their heads against brick wall in trying to convince Symantec that there was an error. I now have a rather similar problem with Bluecoat/Winproxy and a domain Registrar. Winproxy detects multiple filename extensions, i.e. more than one "." present, as being suspicious, in view of vulnerabilities in Lookout! and removes them. I am regularly sent invoices by Joker.com with filenames like "invoice.607.pdf" and therefore all I actually get is "WinProxy has detected a suspicious file (due to MS Outlook vulnerability) attached to this e-mail message! The attachment has been automatically removed to protect your network." I told Joker.com that multiple filename extensions are potentially dodgy, but they simply say "fix your AV software" and that they are not going to change their filenames! I suspect that if I try telling them that it is their bad practice in using multiple filename extensions that is the problem, and that indeed my AV system is doing the right thing with the files, I will then get into the same sort of situation as people did with Symantec. I can't be the only person having this problem...! Any ideas much appreciated.

> I have read how several people felt they were banging their heads
> against brick wall in trying to convince Symantec that there was
> an error. I now have a rather similar problem with
> Bluecoat/Winproxy and a domain Registrar. Winproxy detects
> multiple filename extensions, i.e. more than one "." present, as
> being suspicious, in view of vulnerabilities in Lookout! and
> removes them. I am regularly sent invoices by Joker.com with
> filenames like "invoice.607.pdf" and therefore all I actually get
> is "WinProxy has detected a suspicious file (due to MS Outlook
> vulnerability) attached to this e-mail message! The attachment
> has been automatically removed to protect your network." I told
> Joker.com that multiple filename extensions are potentially
> dodgy, but they simply say "fix your AV software" and that they
> are not going to change their filenames!

Sounds reasonable to me, these are valid filenames and they probably have some software that they use to generate the filename.  It would be a lot of work to fix something that is really not their problem.

> I suspect that if I try telling them that it is their bad
> practice in using multiple filename extensions that is the
> problem, and that indeed my AV system is doing the right thing
> with the files, I will then get into the same sort of
> situation as people did with Symantec.

Worse, you would be wrong and in fact the A-V software is not doing the correct thing if it's blocking good attachments.  The developers made an incorrect assumption that a file with multiple extensions is a virus.

> I can't be the only person having this problem...! Any ideas
> much appreciated.

There must be some way this can be turned off in Winproxy and if there is not then maybe you you either have to live with the problem or get a new proxy.

> I have read how several people felt they were banging their heads > against brick wall in trying to convince Symantec that there was > an error. I now have a rather similar problem with > Bluecoat/Winproxy and a domain Registrar. Winproxy detects > multiple filename extensions, i.e. more than one "." present, as > being suspicious, in view of vulnerabilities in Lookout! and > removes them. I am regularly sent invoices by Joker.com with > filenames like "invoice.607.pdf" and therefore all I actually get > is "WinProxy has detected a suspicious file (due to MS Outlook > vulnerability) attached to this e-mail message! The attachment > has been automatically removed to protect your network." I told > Joker.com that multiple filename extensions are potentially > dodgy, but they simply say "fix your AV software" and that they > are not going to change their filenames! Sounds reasonable to me, these are valid filenames and they probably have some software that they use to generate the filename.  It would be a lot of work to fix something that is really not their problem. > I suspect that if I try telling them that it is their bad > practice in using multiple filename extensions that is the > problem, and that indeed my AV system is doing the right thing > with the files, I will then get into the same sort of > situation as people did with Symantec. Worse, you would be wrong and in fact the A-V software is not doing the correct thing if it's blocking good attachments.  The developers made an incorrect assumption that a file with multiple extensions is a virus. > I can't be the only person having this problem...! Any ideas > much appreciated. There must be some way this can be turned off in Winproxy and if there is not then maybe you you either have to live with the problem or get a new proxy.

just a note: I've edited the post above and taken out the automated reply address from the post. Please Thomas, I've alreade edited some 70 posts .... The online editor isn't that bad - is it?

just a note: I've edited the post above and taken out the automated reply address from the post. Please Thomas, I've alreade edited some 70 posts .... The online editor isn't that bad - is it?

Peter, it's absolute horrible after using Pegasus Mail and it's glossary for tech support.  Even Editpad has a much better editor than this.

I will try to keep your address out of the replies by I sure wish that you'd put in a phony address here since I'm sure that I'll forget in the future as well. 

<p>Peter, it's absolute horrible after using Pegasus Mail and it's glossary for tech support.  Even Editpad has a much better editor than this. I will try to keep your address out of the replies by I sure wish that you'd put in a phony address here since I'm sure that I'll forget in the future as well.  </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft