Community Discussions and Support
Tranferring PM to a new PC

Thomas, 

Thanks for the info. That cleared the 'User Name' problem but left a Winpm-32.exe error and PM would not start. This was solved by removing all PM files, doing new install and copying the contents of the old ADMIN folder en bloc to the new ADMIN folder. All the messages, folders and Internet details appeared. There was a small problem: some of the folders were duplicated with messages from December last year!! A bit of judicious pruning and copying cured that.

Thanks again for your help

Alan 

<p>Thomas, </p><p>Thanks for the info. That cleared the 'User Name' problem but left a Winpm-32.exe error and PM would not start. This was solved by removing all PM files, doing new install and copying the contents of the old ADMIN folder <i>en bloc </i>to the new ADMIN folder. All the messages, folders and Internet details appeared. There was a small problem: some of the folders were duplicated with messages from December last year!! A bit of judicious pruning and copying cured that. </p><p> Thanks again for your help</p><p> Alan </p>

I have built several PCs and used PM on them all since the year dot. I usually copy the relevant files and all is ok. But with the latest PC I am asked to put in my user name. What 'User Name'? I have tried all my identities and the user name in the .ini file to no avail. It seems that it is defaulting to a workstation status but I am a sole user. The OS is Win2kSP4 running a Pentium Dual Core with a P965 chipset although I don't see that that is relevant (I hope!). If I do a fresh install PM loads ok but I need to copy all my mail, Internet settings and folder layout from the old PC without incurring a demand for a 'User Name'.. Can anyone help?

TIA

Alan B 

<p>I have built several PCs and used PM on them all since the year dot. I usually copy the relevant files and all is ok. But with the latest PC I am asked to put in my user name. What 'User Name'? I have tried all my identities and the user name in the .ini file to no avail. It seems that it is defaulting to a workstation status but I am a sole user. The OS is Win2kSP4 running a Pentium Dual Core with a P965 chipset although I don't see that that is relevant (I hope!). If I do a fresh install PM loads ok but I need to copy all my mail, Internet settings and folder layout from the old PC without incurring a demand for a 'User Name'.. Can anyone help? TIA</p><p>Alan B </p>

On 12 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> I have built several PCs and used PM on them all since the year dot. I
> usually copy the relevant files and all is ok. But with the latest PC
> I am asked to put in my user name. What 'User Name'? I have tried all
> my identities and the user name in the .ini file to no avail. It seems
> that it is defaulting to a workstation status but I am a sole user.
> The OS is Win2kSP4 running a Pentium Dual Core with a P965 chipset
> although I don't see that that is relevant (I hope!). If I do a fresh
> install PM loads ok but I need to copy all my mail, Internet settings
> and folder layout from the old PC without incurring a demand for a
> 'User Name'.. Can anyone help?

First thing that comes to mind is that the HOME and NEW mail directory spec is wrong and WinPMail can't find the mailbox.  Use pconfig.exe from the HOME mail directory and reset the drive letter and or the path to the root of the mailbox.

+----------------- Standalone Configuration ------------------+
¦                                                                                ¦
¦  Home mailbox :    [z:\PMAIL\MAIL\~n                    ]   ¦
¦  New mailbox  :     z:\PMAIL\MAIL\~n                         ¦
¦  Asynch gateway? :  N                                              ¦
¦                                                                                ¦
¦  Where your mail folders, address books, distribution   ¦
¦  lists and other associated mail files should be stored  ¦
+-------------------------------------------------------------+

On 12 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; I have built several PCs and used PM on them all since the year dot. I &amp;gt; usually copy the relevant files and all is ok. But with the latest PC &amp;gt; I am asked to put in my user name. What &#039;User Name&#039;? I have tried all &amp;gt; my identities and the user name in the .ini file to no avail. It seems &amp;gt; that it is defaulting to a workstation status but I am a sole user. &amp;gt; The OS is Win2kSP4 running a Pentium Dual Core with a P965 chipset &amp;gt; although I don&#039;t see that that is relevant (I hope!). If I do a fresh &amp;gt; install PM loads ok but I need to copy all my mail, Internet settings &amp;gt; and folder layout from the old PC without incurring a demand for a &amp;gt; &#039;User Name&#039;.. Can anyone help? First thing that comes to mind is that the HOME and NEW mail directory spec is wrong and WinPMail can&#039;t find the mailbox.&amp;nbsp; Use pconfig.exe from the HOME mail directory and reset the drive letter and or the path to the root of the mailbox. +----------------- Standalone Configuration ------------------+ &brvbar;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp; Home mailbox :&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; [z:\PMAIL\MAIL\~n&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; ] &amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp; New mailbox&amp;nbsp; :&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; z:\PMAIL\MAIL\~n&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp; Asynch gateway? :&amp;nbsp; N&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp; Where your mail folders, address books, distribution&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp; lists and other associated mail files should be stored&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; &brvbar;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &brvbar; +-------------------------------------------------------------+
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft