Community Discussions and Support
A problem or two

Hi Michael

Thanks for your response before Christmas.  I did what you suggested, found the HIERARCH.PM file, found a whole load of entries that were no longer required or simply wrong.  While I was doing that, I had our IT helpdesk notified about the issue.  Either through following your advice or by their efforts in the meantime (I prefer to think the former), when I came to launch Pegasus once more, everything was OK and I don't think I have lost any data at all.  Sincere thanks for great help and advice.

Have a great 2011 !

Best wishes

Derek Jones

<P>Hi Michael</P> <P>Thanks for your response before Christmas.  I did what you suggested, found the HIERARCH.PM file, found a whole load of entries that were no longer required or simply wrong.  While I was doing that, I had our IT helpdesk notified about the issue.  Either through following your advice or by their efforts in the meantime (I prefer to think the former), when I came to launch Pegasus once more, everything was OK and I don't think I have lost any data at all.  Sincere thanks for great help and advice.</P> <P>Have a great 2011 !</P> <P>Best wishes</P> <P>Derek Jones</P>

Somehow, during yesterday morning, I managed to 'lose' a number of mail folders.  As my system has over 1200 separate folders this is somewhat worrying.  I believe that I have only lost folders that had been used yesterday morning.  Does anyone know how I might tackle the problem of recovering them.

Further, my folders tree, has acquired (sometimes two, sometimes three) 'ghost' folders, which have no name, can't apparently be deleted and can't be renamed.  Any ideas on these issues would be very welcome. 

Merry Christmas to the Forum Users

Derek Jones

<P>Somehow, during yesterday morning, I managed to 'lose' a number of mail folders.  As my system has over 1200 separate folders this is somewhat worrying.  I believe that I have only lost folders that had been used yesterday morning.  Does anyone know how I might tackle the problem of recovering them.</P> <P>Further, my folders tree, has acquired (sometimes two, sometimes three) 'ghost' folders, which have no name, can't apparently be deleted and can't be renamed.  Any ideas on these issues would be very welcome.  </P> <P> Merry Christmas to the Forum Users</P> <P>Derek Jones</P>

[quote user="derek jones"]Somehow, during yesterday morning, I managed to 'lose' a number of mail folders.[/quote]

What does "lose" mean? Did Pegasus Mail or Windows crash?

[quote user="derek jones"]Further, my folders tree, has acquired (sometimes two, sometimes three) 'ghost' folders, which have no name, can't apparently be deleted and can't be renamed.[/quote]

Sounds like an issue with HIERARCH.PM (in your home mailbox directory, see Help => About Pegasus Mail => Info for its path). If you rename the file while Pegasus Mail is down it will be recreated when Pegasus Mail is launched again, it should then find and list all folders (stored in PMM-files), but any tray hierarchy will be gone. To avoid this you may want to carefuly edit HIERARCH.PM with a simpe plain text editor (no "Office" monster!!!) after creating a backup: You can usually remove all entries with Name_Unavailable without loosing any important information, maybe there are other entries containing some kind of corrupted data. If your folders still don't show up you may want to use MBXMAINT.EXE for fixing issues, it's installed along with WINPM-32.EXE in Pegasus Mail's program directory since v4.51.

<p>[quote user="derek jones"]Somehow, during yesterday morning, I managed to 'lose' a number of mail folders.[/quote]</p><p>What does "lose" mean? Did Pegasus Mail or Windows crash?</p><p>[quote user="derek jones"]Further, my folders tree, has acquired (sometimes two, sometimes three) 'ghost' folders, which have no name, can't apparently be deleted and can't be renamed.[/quote]</p><p>Sounds like an issue with HIERARCH.PM (in your home mailbox directory, see <em>Help => About Pegasus Mail => Info</em> for its path). If you rename the file while Pegasus Mail is down it will be recreated when Pegasus Mail is launched again, it should then find and list all folders (stored in PMM-files), but any tray hierarchy will be gone. To avoid this you may want to carefuly edit HIERARCH.PM with a simpe plain text editor (no "Office" monster!!!) after creating a backup: You can usually remove all entries with <em>Name_Unavailable</em> without loosing any important information, maybe there are other entries containing some kind of corrupted data. If your folders still don't show up you may want to use MBXMAINT.EXE for fixing issues, it's installed along with WINPM-32.EXE in Pegasus Mail's program directory since v4.51.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft