Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Toolbar Icon Suggestions for PM4.6.1

Jon,

Thanks for your posts of your modified icons' .png files (and all the trouble you went to to make them downloadable), and the information about changing button icons. Now I can kind of see where I want to go in changing the button icons so they are more clear (I'm thinking of just using the 4.5x icons as I find them much easier to see and mostly more intuitive also -- I've never been a great enthusiast of "3D" icons--)

molly

<p>Jon,</p><p> </p><p>Thanks for your posts of your modified icons' .png files (and all the trouble you went to to make them downloadable), and the information about changing button icons. Now I can kind of see where I want to go in changing the button icons so they are more clear (I'm thinking of just using the 4.5x icons as I find them much easier to see and mostly more intuitive also -- I've never been a great enthusiast of "3D" icons--)</p><p>molly </p>

Hello,

Thank you for the latest update to a classic.  My comments in this post concern the new toolbar icons.  I upgraded to PM4.6.1 from PM4.5.2 in WinXP SP3.

1)  I agree with another post that smaller toolbar icons should be available.

2)  Some icons still need updating.  I am using a toolbar.pm file and the old icons (PM4.5.2) appear on the toolbar.  The relevant toolbar.pm entries are <0,10114,0,1846,"Apply general rule set to folder"> and <0,10187,0,1841,"Review queued mail">.

3)  I think the arrows & question mark in the send/check mail icons (1828.png "Send all queued mail," 1827.png "Check you POP3 host for new mail," 1829.png "Both check and send mail in one operation," & 1835.png "Perform a selective download.") should be changed to improve the contrast.  The current green and blue arrows are difficult to see against the green and blue planet earth.

4)  I think the spacing of the "Graphics only" icons and the "Graphics and text" icons should be the same.  I like the spacing of the "Graphics and text" icons, which is more compact than the spacing of the "Graphics only" icons.

Thanks again for all your work on Pegasus Mail.

&lt;p&gt;Hello, Thank you for the latest update to a classic.&amp;nbsp; My comments in this post concern the new toolbar icons.&amp;nbsp; I upgraded to PM4.6.1 from PM4.5.2 in WinXP SP3. 1)&amp;nbsp; I agree with another post that smaller toolbar icons should be available. 2)&amp;nbsp; Some icons still need updating.&amp;nbsp; I am using a toolbar.pm file and the old icons (PM4.5.2) appear on the toolbar.&amp;nbsp; The relevant toolbar.pm entries are &amp;lt;0,10114,0,1846,&quot;Apply general rule set to folder&quot;&amp;gt; and &amp;lt;0,10187,0,1841,&quot;Review queued mail&quot;&amp;gt;. 3)&amp;nbsp; I think the arrows &amp;amp; question mark in the send/check mail icons (1828.png &quot;Send all queued mail,&quot; 1827.png &quot;Check you POP3 host for new mail,&quot; 1829.png &quot;Both check and send mail in one operation,&quot; &amp;amp; 1835.png &quot;Perform a selective download.&quot;) should be changed to improve the contrast.&amp;nbsp; The current green and blue arrows are difficult to see against the green and blue planet earth. 4)&amp;nbsp; I think the spacing of the &quot;Graphics only&quot; icons and the &quot;Graphics and text&quot; icons should be the same.&amp;nbsp; I like the spacing of the &quot;Graphics and text&quot; icons, which is more compact than the spacing of the &quot;Graphics only&quot; icons. Thanks again for all your work on Pegasus Mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thank you for saving me the trouble of composing what you have put. Especially 3).

Thank you for saving me the trouble of composing what you have put. Especially 3).

Hello,

1) We made the toolbar icons bigger on purpose since the older ones are difficult to recognize on todays big screens.

2) This was just an oversight, the icons are already ready but it had been forgotten to include them into the installer. They will be made available with the next service release which is expected soon. If you desperately need them earlier please send me a PM.

3) I think this is a question of taste, during the beta phase of the new icons the beta testers agreed that the current versions are ok. You might create your own version if you think that our design is not good enough. Simply replace the files 1827.png, 1828.png, 1829.png and 1835.png in the "png" directory with your own version.

4) This is a fair comment, I recommend to send it to the author David Harris.

Kind regards,

Sven

&lt;p&gt;Hello,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1) We made the toolbar icons bigger on purpose since the older ones are difficult to recognize on todays big screens.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2) This was just an oversight, the icons are already ready but it had been forgotten to include them into the installer. They will be made available with the next service release which is expected soon. If you desperately need them earlier please send me a PM.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;3) I think this is a question of taste, during the beta phase of the new icons the beta testers agreed that the current versions are ok. You might create your own version if you think that our design is not good enough. Simply replace the files 1827.png, 1828.png, 1829.png and 1835.png in the &quot;png&quot; directory with your own version. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;4) This is a fair comment, I recommend to send it to the author David Harris. Kind regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Sven &lt;/p&gt;

Thank you for your detailed reply.

[quote user="SvenH"]3) I think this is a question of taste, during the beta phase of the new icons the beta testers agreed that the current versions are ok.[/quote]

When I commented on icons 1827.png, 1828.png, 1829.png, and 1835.png, I did not have any particular improvement in mind.  Since then, I found icons from the new icon set that exhibit the higher contrast I suggested.  Icons 1215.png, 1217.png, and 1218.png incorporate the blue-green globe image with high contrast white check-marks and white Xs on solid green or solid red disks with white edges.  Extrapolating this theme, one could incorporate white arrows or question marks on solid blue or solid green disks with white edges.

Thank you for time and good luck with future upgrades.

&lt;p&gt;Thank you for your detailed reply. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;SvenH&quot;]3) I think this is a question of taste, during the beta phase of the new icons the beta testers agreed that the current versions are ok.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;When I commented on icons 1827.png, 1828.png, 1829.png, and 1835.png, I did not have any particular improvement in mind.&amp;nbsp; Since then, I found icons from the new icon set that exhibit the higher contrast I suggested.&amp;nbsp; Icons 1215.png, 1217.png, and 1218.png incorporate the blue-green globe image with high contrast white check-marks and white Xs on solid green or solid red disks with white edges.&amp;nbsp; Extrapolating this theme, one could incorporate white arrows or question marks on solid blue or solid green disks with white edges.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thank you for time and good luck with future upgrades.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

What do you think about these versions:

New_POP3_icons.png 

It does not look nice at all if I use a white frame as I did for the selctive mail download images, but the arrows are now much clearer.

Sven

&lt;p&gt;What do you think about these versions:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.TechSoft.de/images/New_POP3_icons.png&quot; title=&quot;New_POP3_icons.png&quot; alt=&quot;New_POP3_icons.png&quot; mce_src=&quot;http://www.TechSoft.de/images/New_POP3_icons.png&quot; width=&quot;140&quot; height=&quot;35&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It does not look nice at all if I use a white frame as I did for the selctive mail download images, but the arrows are now much clearer.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Sven &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="SvenH"]

What do you think about these versions:

New_POP3_icons.png 

[/quote]

Thank you for posting your icon revisions.  The contrast is much better.

I should say that I like the positioning of the arrows.  It does a good job of representing uploading and downloading of e-mail.

[quote user=&quot;SvenH&quot;]&lt;p&gt;What do you think about these versions:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.TechSoft.de/images/New_POP3_icons.png&quot; title=&quot;New_POP3_icons.png&quot; alt=&quot;New_POP3_icons.png&quot; mce_src=&quot;http://www.TechSoft.de/images/New_POP3_icons.png&quot; height=&quot;35&quot; width=&quot;140&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thank you for posting your icon revisions.&amp;nbsp; The contrast is much better.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I should say that I like the positioning of the arrows.&amp;nbsp; It does a good job of representing uploading and downloading of e-mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I would like to repeat the request for a smaller set of icons. i edited the png files for sending messages to have a red arrow. as in previous editions of pmail. it makes it stand up nicely from the all green version of the cueernt send receive icons set

I would like to repeat the request for a smaller set of icons. i edited the png files for sending messages to have a red arrow. as in previous editions of pmail. it makes it stand up nicely from the all green version of the cueernt send receive icons set

I doubt that this will happen sometime soon. It is a huge job (we have now more than 200 bitmaps).It would require not only the creation of new bitmaps, but also many code changes within the program.

Also, the new icons are just slightly bigger (we are talking about a few pixels only), and the screens nowadays provide much more space than 10 years ago. So I guess the effort of having bitmaps which are a few pixels smaller is huge in comparision to the outcome. Believe me, it took some months to create the new bitmap set (design and actual creation), it is not a "few-minutes job" to create those bitmaps. It sounds easy to shrink them to a smaller size, but it is much more tricky than you might think because there is a lot of optimization going on for each and every bitmap which takes a lot of time. Please always remember that Pegasus Mail is free, we can't have everything.

Regarding the red arrow for the download button, it won't happen that we use a red arrow in the standard bitmap set because in the new design red color is used for deletion processes and errors only.

Sven

&lt;p&gt;I doubt that this will happen sometime soon. It is a huge job (we have now more than 200 bitmaps).It would require not only the creation of new bitmaps, but also many code changes within the program. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Also, the new icons are just slightly bigger (we are talking about a few pixels only), and the screens nowadays provide much more space than 10 years ago. So I guess the effort of having bitmaps which are a few pixels smaller is huge in comparision to the outcome. Believe me, it took some months to create the new bitmap set (design and actual creation), it is not a &quot;few-minutes job&quot; to create those bitmaps. It sounds easy to shrink them to a smaller size, but it is much more tricky than you might think because there is a lot of optimization going on for each and every bitmap which takes a lot of time. Please always remember that Pegasus Mail is free, we can&#039;t have everything. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regarding the red arrow for the download button, it won&#039;t happen that we use a red arrow in the standard bitmap set because in the new design red color is used for deletion processes and errors only.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Sven &lt;/p&gt;

Thanks for the reply Sven, Taste is individual matter. As long as one can edit the PNG files and create their own icons, it is fine.

sending email icon IS something that should IMHO be highlighted. Maybe not in your default error color, but we all experienced pressing the send button too fast.... nowadays when my eyes are getting older, i really am blind to which is the send and which is receive button. they are just TOO similar......but thats just me, and for me the problem was fixed with 2sec photoshop treat for the icons......

&lt;p&gt;Thanks for the reply Sven, Taste is individual matter. As long as one can edit the PNG files and create their own icons, it is fine.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;sending email icon IS something that should IMHO be highlighted. Maybe not in your default error color, but we all experienced pressing the send button too fast.... nowadays when my eyes are getting older, i really am blind to which is the send and which is receive button. they are just TOO similar......but thats just me, and for me the problem was fixed with 2sec photoshop treat for the icons...... &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Aircut"]I edited the png files for sending messages to have a red arrow. as in previous editions of pmail. It makes it stand up nicely from the all green version of the cueernt send receive icons set.
[/quote]

Is there a repository of customized icons?  I'm not very clever when it

comes to editing images, and I'd like to take advantage of the skilled

artisans among us.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Aircut&quot;]I edited the png files for sending messages to have a red arrow. as in previous editions of pmail. It makes it stand up nicely from the all green version of the cueernt send receive icons set. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is there a repository of customized icons?&amp;nbsp; I&#039;m not very clever when it comes to editing images, and I&#039;d like to take advantage of the skilled artisans among us. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="SvenH"]Also, the new icons are just slightly bigger (we are talking about a few pixels only), and the screens nowadays provide much more space than 10 years ago.[/quote]

Just as a comment on screen sizes: I think the range of screens sizes is large. True, desktops screens are much larger and have higher resolution than just a few years ago, leading to readibilty issues with small icons and small text. On the other hand, we have netbooks etc with small screens. Especially screen heights are very limited, often just 600 pixels. So I think that a set of smaller icons etc would be relevant

[quote user="SvenH"]It sounds easy to shrink them to a smaller size, but it is much more tricky than you might think because there is a lot of optimization going on for each and every bitmap which takes a lot of time. Please always remember that Pegasus Mail is free, we can't have everything.[/quote]

I fully understand the amount of work going into this and I greatly appreciate the effort you put into Pegasus Mail.

Cheers,

Erik

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;SvenH&quot;]Also, the new icons are just slightly bigger (we are talking about a few pixels only), and the screens nowadays provide much more space than 10 years ago.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Just as a comment on screen sizes: I think the range of screens sizes is large. True, desktops screens are much larger and have higher resolution than just a few years ago, leading to readibilty issues with small icons and small text. On the other hand, we have netbooks etc with small screens. Especially screen heights are very limited, often just 600 pixels. So I think that a set of smaller icons etc would be relevant &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;SvenH&quot;]It sounds easy to shrink them to a smaller size, but it is much more tricky than you might think because there is a lot of optimization going on for each and every bitmap which takes a lot of time. Please always remember that Pegasus Mail is free, we can&#039;t have everything.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I fully understand the amount of work going into this and I greatly appreciate the effort you put into Pegasus Mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Cheers,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Erik &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="jon4t2"]Is there a repository of customized icons?  I'm not very clever when it

comes to editing images, and I'd like to take advantage of the skilled

artisans among us.
[/quote]

So would I...

Cheers,

Erik

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;jon4t2&quot;]Is there a repository of customized icons?&amp;nbsp; I&#039;m not very clever when it comes to editing images, and I&#039;d like to take advantage of the skilled artisans among us. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;So would I...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Cheers,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Erik &lt;/p&gt;

I agree with the comments about the need to change the four icons so that the arrows indicating the particular function are larger and much greater contrast.  On my screen and with my eyesight the four icons are identical.

Thanks,

jb 

&lt;p&gt;I agree with the comments about the need to change the four icons so that the arrows indicating the particular function are larger and much greater contrast. &amp;nbsp;On my screen and with my eyesight the four icons are identical.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;jb&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

These seem to be identical to the ones on the version I just downloaded and installed.  If the arrows were a clearly contrasting color, it would help.

jb 

&lt;p&gt;These seem to be identical to the ones on the version I just downloaded and installed. &amp;nbsp;If the arrows were a clearly contrasting color, it would help.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;jb&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I've modified these PNG files in an admittedly inelegant manner to give them high contrast arrows.  I encourage anyone skilled in digital rendering to post their own versions using a more stylish technique.

1828-custom.png ;  1827-custom.png ;  1829-custom.png ;  1835-custom.png ;

If you want to use these modified icons, first download them (right click on an image and pick the appropriate "Save As.." option), then copy them to your "X:\PMAIL\Programs\PNG\" folder (X: = the drive where PMAIL is installed).  Next, rename the original files so you can switch back to them if you so choose.  (Look for the same numbers in the file names.)  Finally, rename the modified PNG files by removing "-custom" from the file names.  When you restart Pegasus, the modified icons should appear.

Remember to backup your PMAIL files before attempting this mod, particularly if you've never done this sort of thing before.

&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve modified these PNG files in an admittedly inelegant manner to give them high contrast arrows.&amp;nbsp; I encourage anyone skilled in digital rendering to post their own versions using a more stylish technique.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; 1828-custom.png &lt;img src=&quot;http://intothevoid2.tripod.com/pix/1828-custom.png&quot; mce_src=&quot;http://intothevoid2.tripod.com/pix/1828-custom.png&quot; height=&quot;36&quot; width=&quot;37&quot;&gt;;&amp;nbsp; 1827-custom.png &lt;img src=&quot;http://intothevoid2.tripod.com/pix/1827-custom.png&quot; mce_src=&quot;http://intothevoid2.tripod.com/pix/1827-custom.png&quot; height=&quot;36&quot; width=&quot;37&quot;&gt;;&amp;nbsp; 1829-custom.png &lt;img src=&quot;http://intothevoid2.tripod.com/pix/1829-custom.png&quot; mce_src=&quot;http://intothevoid2.tripod.com/pix/1829-custom.png&quot; height=&quot;36&quot; width=&quot;37&quot;&gt;;&amp;nbsp; 1835-custom.png &lt;img src=&quot;http://intothevoid2.tripod.com/pix/1835-custom.png&quot; mce_src=&quot;http://intothevoid2.tripod.com/pix/1835-custom.png&quot; height=&quot;36&quot; width=&quot;37&quot;&gt;; If you want to use these modified icons, first download them (right click on an image and pick the appropriate &quot;Save As..&quot; option), then copy them to your &quot;X:\PMAIL\Programs\PNG\&quot; folder (X: = the drive where PMAIL is installed).&amp;nbsp; Next, rename the original files so you can switch back to them if you so choose.&amp;nbsp; (Look for the same numbers in the file names.)&amp;nbsp; Finally, rename the modified PNG files by removing &quot;-custom&quot; from the file names.&amp;nbsp; When you restart Pegasus, the modified icons should appear. Remember to backup your PMAIL files before attempting this mod, particularly if you&#039;ve never done this sort of thing before. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="jon4t2"]If you want to use these modified icons, first download them (right click on an image and pick the appropriate "Save As.." option), [/quote]

Doesn't work here ...

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;jon4t2&quot;]If you want to use these modified icons, first download them (right click on an image and pick the appropriate &quot;Save As..&quot; option), [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Doesn&#039;t work here ...&lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote user="idw"]

Doesn't work here ...

[/quote]

Sorry about that.  Sometimes Tripod.com works, sometimes it doesn't.  It worked when I composed the message.

I'll see if I can find another way to post the PNGs, but it may take a while.

[quote user=&quot;idw&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Doesn&#039;t work here ...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Sorry about that.&amp;nbsp; Sometimes Tripod.com works, sometimes it doesn&#039;t.&amp;nbsp; It worked when I composed the message.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ll see if I can find another way to post the PNGs, but it may take a while. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="jon4t2"]I'll see if I can find another way to post the PNGs, but it may take a while.[/quote]

Zip them up and attach them to your next reply: At the top of the forum editor select the Options tab to do so ...

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;jon4t2&quot;]I&#039;ll see if I can find another way to post the PNGs, but it may take a while.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Zip them up and attach them to your next reply: At the top of the forum editor select the &lt;em&gt;Options&lt;/em&gt; tab to do so ...&lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote user="idw"]

Zip them up and attach them to your next reply

[/quote]

Problem.  I do not "have permission to upload or link to files."

[quote user=&quot;idw&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Zip them up and attach them to your next reply&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Problem.&amp;nbsp; I do not &quot;have permission to upload or link to files.&quot;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft