Pegasus Mail Suggestions
"Open message in Web browser..." choice in Message Reader context menu (PM4.6.1)

Thank you for your reply.

My choice of words in my previous posts may not have completely and unambiguously described my system or my concern with how Pegasus Mail 4.6.1 behaves.  I apologize for any confusion that I may have inadvertently caused.

First, to be clear, my memory is good.  God willing, it will remain so for many years to come.  I can remember which browser is my default browser.  Pegasus Mail does not need to remind me.

Now, as I stated before, I'd like PM to always behave as if *it* remembers which browser I selected as default.  Asking me to choose from a list of available browsers every time I want to "Open message in Web browser..." is inefficient.  So is double-clicking on a menu entry when a single click should suffice.  PM4.6.1 is asking me to do more work than is necessary for a routine task.  Not much more, but more nonetheless.

This behavior is very much like a waiter at a restaurant asking me to read the menu again and choose my entree again before delivering it to my table.  I have already told the waiter my choice.  It is the waiter's job to remember my choice.  I think it should be Pegasus' job to remember my default browser and employ it where ever it is appropriate to do so.

Thank you again for your attention to this matter.

Thank you for your reply. My choice of words in my previous posts may not have completely and unambiguously described my system or my concern with how Pegasus Mail 4.6.1 behaves.  I apologize for any confusion that I may have inadvertently caused. First, to be clear, my memory is good.  God willing, it will remain so for many years to come.  I can remember which browser is my default browser.  Pegasus Mail does not need to remind me. Now, as I stated before, I'd like PM to always behave as if *it* remembers which browser I selected as default.  Asking me to choose from a list of available browsers every time I want to "Open message in Web browser..." is inefficient.  So is double-clicking on a menu entry when a single click should suffice.  PM4.6.1 is asking me to do more work than is necessary for a routine task.  Not much more, but more nonetheless. This behavior is very much like a waiter at a restaurant asking me to read the menu again and choose my entree again before delivering it to my table.  I have already told the waiter my choice.  It is the waiter's job to remember my choice.  I think it should be Pegasus' job to remember my default browser and employ it where ever it is appropriate to do so. Thank you again for your attention to this matter.

Hello,

I have two comments regarding the "Open message in Web browser..." and "Open selection as hyperlink..." choices in the Message Reader context menu (PM4.6.1).  I upgraded from PM5.4.2 to PM4.6.1 in WinXP SP3.

1)  I'd like the option of selecting a preferred browser for these choices so that I'm not presented with the list of available browsers each time I want to open a message in a browser.

2)  Although I'd like to avoid the list of available browsers, I noted that Pegasus does not include Google Chrome in the list.  I use Firefox, but GC is becoming a popular choice.

Hello, I have two comments regarding the "Open message in Web browser..." and "Open selection as hyperlink..." choices in the Message Reader context menu (PM4.6.1).  I upgraded from PM5.4.2 to PM4.6.1 in WinXP SP3. 1)  I'd like the option of selecting a preferred browser for these choices so that I'm not presented with the list of available browsers each time I want to open a message in a browser. 2)  Although I'd like to avoid the list of available browsers, I noted that Pegasus does not include Google Chrome in the list.  I use Firefox, but GC is becoming a popular choice.

[quote user="jon4t2"]1)  I'd like the option of selecting a preferred browser for these choices so that I'm not presented with the list of available browsers each time I want to open a message in a browser.[/quote]

Just double-click the menu item which opens the list to launch the default browser as selected in Pegasus Mail's configuration (Tools => Options => Hyperlinks).

[quote user="jon4t2"]Although I'd like to avoid the list of available browsers, I noted that Pegasus does not include Google Chrome in the list.  I use Firefox, but GC is becoming a popular choice.[/quote]

It only lists the browsers installed on your machine.

<p>[quote user="jon4t2"]1)  I'd like the option of selecting a preferred browser for these choices so that I'm not presented with the list of available browsers each time I want to open a message in a browser.[/quote]</p><p>Just double-click the menu item which opens the list to launch the default browser as selected in Pegasus Mail's configuration (<em>Tools => Options => Hyperlinks</em>).</p><p>[quote user="jon4t2"]Although I'd like to avoid the list of available browsers, I noted that Pegasus does not include Google Chrome in the list.  I use Firefox, but GC is becoming a popular choice.[/quote]</p><p>It only lists the browsers installed on your machine.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote user="idw"]Just double-click the menu item which opens the list to launch the default browser as selected in Pegasus Mail's configuration (Tools => Options => [Incoming Mail =>] Hyperlinks).[/quote]Thank you for getting back to me.

Double-click on a menu item?  It works, but I've never heard of doing that before.

I must say that I don't like this new functionality.  It requires me to remember an unlisted option in order to choose the so-called default browser from the menu every time I want to open a message in that browser.  I find this behavior worse than requiring me to pick a browser from a list.  At least in the list of browsers I have a colorful icon to aid my choice.

I like menus because they list options, thus relieving me of having to remember options (a fundamental problem with the command line.)  Yet here is a menu that requires me to rely on my memory to get the behavior I want.  This does not sound like progress to me.

I would like to see the "Preferences and Settings" options changed to permit specification of a *true* default browser that would be used in all relevant instances.

[quote user="idw"]It only lists the browsers installed on your machine.[/quote]Google Chrome is installed on my machine.  I assumed that Pegasus would only list installed browsers, and that's why I mentioned its absence from the list.

<p>[quote user="idw"]Just double-click the menu item which opens the list to launch the default browser as selected in Pegasus Mail's configuration (Tools => Options => [Incoming Mail =>] Hyperlinks).[/quote]Thank you for getting back to me.</p><p>Double-click on a menu item?  It works, but I've never heard of doing that before. </p><p>I must say that I don't like this new functionality.  It requires me to remember an unlisted option in order to choose the so-called default browser from the menu every time I want to open a message in that browser.  I find this behavior worse than requiring me to pick a browser from a list.  At least in the list of browsers I have a colorful icon to aid my choice. I like menus because they list options, thus relieving me of having to remember options (a fundamental problem with the command line.)  Yet here is a menu that requires me to rely on my memory to get the behavior I want.  This does not sound like progress to me. I would like to see the "Preferences and Settings" options changed to permit specification of a *true* default browser that would be used in all relevant instances. </p><p>[quote user="idw"]It only lists the browsers installed on your machine.[/quote]Google Chrome is installed on my machine.  I assumed that Pegasus would only list installed browsers, and that's why I mentioned its absence from the list. </p>

[quote user="jon4t2"]Double-click on a menu item?  It works, but I've never heard of doing that before.[/quote]

Believe it or not but this is a Windows standard behaviour for default (bold) menu items - although I didn't know this either before figuring it out for my own implementation, doesn't seem to be a very popular one ...

[quote user="jon4t2"]Google Chrome is installed on my machine.  I assumed that Pegasus would only list installed browsers, and that's why I mentioned its absence from the list.[/quote]

Well, you didn't say so, but maybe here's your problem: If Chrome is your default browser you won't have a bold default entry to make your life easier in not remembering which browser is your default, but this may already be fixed in the most recent version of IERenderer.

<p>[quote user="jon4t2"]Double-click on a menu item?  It works, but I've never heard of doing that before.[/quote]</p><p>Believe it or not but this is a Windows standard behaviour for default (bold) menu items - although I didn't know this either before figuring it out for my own implementation, doesn't seem to be a very popular one ...</p><p>[quote user="jon4t2"]Google Chrome is installed on my machine.  I assumed that Pegasus would only list installed browsers, and that's why I mentioned its absence from the list.[/quote]</p><p>Well, you didn't say so, but maybe here's your problem: If Chrome is your default browser you won't have a bold default entry to make your life easier in not remembering which browser is your default, but this may already be fixed in the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry24145.aspx" target="_blank">most recent version of IERenderer</a>.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft