Community Discussions and Support
Failure Notification - new user

[quote user="howard"]

OK sorry - think I found the answer in an earlier post ( was stressed and failed to spot it at the time!)

The  'Accept mail for invalid local addresses' tickbox  seems to do the trickin MercuryS - but does that apply on older version ( Novell version 1.48) - can't see  the line in the ini file?

[/quote]

The line in MERCURY.INI is Allow_Illegals : 0 and is in the [MercuryS]  section for v1.48. If this is turned off (off =0, on=1) then MercuryS does the rejection and the bounce goes to the connecting system and not the MAIL FROM: address.  If this is a spammer it gets dropped on the floor, if this is a good server the server sends the bounce message back to there sender.

[quote user="howard"]<p>OK sorry - think I found the answer in an earlier post ( was stressed and failed to spot it at the time!)</p><p>The  'Accept mail for invalid local addresses' tickbox  seems to do the trickin MercuryS - but does that apply on older version ( Novell version 1.48) - can't see  the line in the ini file? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>The line in MERCURY.INI is Allow_Illegals : 0 and is in the [MercuryS]  section for v1.48. If this is turned off (off =0, on=1) then MercuryS does the rejection and the bounce goes to the connecting system and not the MAIL FROM: address.  If this is a spammer it gets dropped on the floor, if this is a good server the server sends the bounce message back to there sender. </p><p> </p>

Is it possible to stop Mercury  emailing Delivery Failure msgs back to the putative sender ( usually not the sender in the case of the spam problem we have)?

I thought maybe it was controlled via Failfile Notification template in mercury.ini , but it doesn't look that way. I changed the To: line from ~T  to an explicit address but that failed to  stop the sender getting the Delivery Failure Message"

Sorry if thats a naive question.

Howard 

<p>Is it possible to stop Mercury  emailing Delivery Failure msgs back to the putative sender ( usually not the sender in the case of the spam problem we have)? </p><p> I thought maybe it was controlled via Failfile Notification template in mercury.ini , but it doesn't look that way. I changed the To: line from ~T  to an explicit address but that failed to  stop the sender getting the Delivery Failure Message" </p><p> Sorry if thats a naive question.</p><p>Howard </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

OK sorry - think I found the answer in an earlier post ( was stressed and failed to spot it at the time!)

The  'Accept mail for invalid local addresses' tickbox  seems to do the trickin MercuryS - but does that apply on older version ( Novell version 1.48) - can't see  the line in the ini file?

<p>OK sorry - think I found the answer in an earlier post ( was stressed and failed to spot it at the time!)</p><p>The  'Accept mail for invalid local addresses' tickbox  seems to do the trickin MercuryS - but does that apply on older version ( Novell version 1.48) - can't see  the line in the ini file? </p><p> </p>

rename failure.mer to something else, like failure.mer.bak

rename failure.mer to something else, like failure.mer.bak

Is this external mail - how are you receiving it - SMTP ?

If you turn off the setting 'accept mail for invalid local addresses' in MercuryS configuration, the sending transaction will be rejected.  If it's a genuine sender, they should be notified by their own server of the failure.

Unless you have an explicit need to accept some invalid addresses, I consider this is a much better way to control incoming email than sending out a delivery status message.

[Later]

Ah, NLM.   The ini entry is Allow_Illegals : 0 , but I'm uncertain how that works under Netware.

<P>Is this external mail - how are you receiving it - SMTP ?</P> <P>If you turn off the setting 'accept mail for invalid local addresses' in MercuryS configuration, the sending transaction will be rejected.  If it's a genuine sender, they should be notified by their own server of the failure.</P> <P>Unless you have an explicit need to accept some invalid addresses, I consider this is a much better way to control incoming email than sending out a delivery status message.</P> <P mce_keep="true">[Later]</P> <P mce_keep="true">Ah, NLM.   The ini entry is Allow_Illegals : 0 , but I'm uncertain how that works under Netware.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Thanks Peter, that does the trick. I had wondered about that  - and had tried changing the To: ~T   to my email but that didn;t work, so I though it was too simple just to remove the template file completely!

Howard 

<p>Thanks Peter, that does the trick. I had wondered about that  - and had tried changing the To: ~T   to my email but that didn;t work, so I though it was too simple just to remove the template file completely!</p><p> </p><p>Howard </p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft