Pegasus Mail Suggestions
only open new mail folder if there is new mail

Or run pconfig.exe from the command line [:S]

I would've loved that answer.

<p>Or run pconfig.exe from the command line [:S]</p><p>I would've loved that answer. </p>

Short version: version 4.61 using folder view with 'new mail' folder closed. 'New mail' folder should not open when mail is downloaded unless there is new mail in it.

Long version:

Just upgrade to 4.61 from 4.41. (Which was a major pain given my nonstandard setup, but that is a story probably not to be told. Short version: program would not even open after allowing pmail installer to upgrade - please don't offer to upgrade situations where you can't do it.)

Since 4.61 keeps some aspects of the user setup in the Pegasus mail main folder, I gave up using the 'New mail' folder in order to keep all my mail on another encrypted drive.  I don't wish to put Pegasus on this drive.  This has now become complicated.  But I can live with part of my setup being on the program drive, although I don't like it.

The major downside is that the 'New mail' folder persists in opening when new mail is downloaded even if all the mail is filtered into other folders.  Hence the need for the suggestion above.

These are the solutions to this problem in the order I would prefer:

1) Allow the entire user profile to be in another location as used to be possible.  Perhaps leave Programs, Mail subfolders as now, but add to PMAIL.USR the location of the mail folder as well:  A; joeuser; Joe User;H:\mail\.

2) Have all new mail go automatically into the 'default mail folder' for an identity, not just read mail; and also implement #3 below.

3) Don't open 'new mail' folder when it is closed and no new mail exists in the folder.

<p>Short version: version 4.61 using folder view with 'new mail' folder closed. 'New mail' folder should not open when mail is downloaded unless there is new mail in it.</p><p> </p><p>Long version: </p><p>Just upgrade to 4.61 from 4.41. (Which was a major pain given my nonstandard setup, but that is a story probably not to be told. Short version: program would not even open after allowing pmail installer to upgrade - please don't offer to upgrade situations where you can't do it.)</p><p> Since 4.61 keeps some aspects of the user setup in the Pegasus mail main folder, I gave up using the 'New mail' folder in order to keep all my mail on another encrypted drive.  I don't wish to put Pegasus on this drive.  This has now become complicated.  But I can live with part of my setup being on the program drive, although I don't like it.</p><p> The major downside is that the 'New mail' folder persists in opening when new mail is downloaded even if all the mail is filtered into other folders.  Hence the need for the suggestion above.</p><p>These are the solutions to this problem in the order I would prefer:</p><p> 1) Allow the entire user profile to be in another location as used to be possible.  Perhaps leave Programs, Mail subfolders as now, but add to PMAIL.USR the location of the mail folder as well:  A; joeuser; Joe User;H:\mail\.</p><p> 2) Have all new mail go automatically into the 'default mail folder' for an identity, not just read mail; and also implement #3 below. </p><p> 3) Don't open 'new mail' folder when it is closed and no new mail exists in the folder. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

That is not how the program works now or in the past. All messages come in as *.cnm files and the new mail folder is not an actual messages folder: it is just a visual display of the *.cnm files so all messages are/were in new mail just briefly until filtering actions take place and actions are done. If you close new mail then on next download it must open again before anything gets done. If all messages are subject to some action to place in messages folders then the new mail will be empty and visual display will show that.

That is not how the program works now or in the past. All messages come in as *.cnm files and the new mail folder is not an actual messages folder: it is just a visual display of the *.cnm files so all messages are/were in new mail just briefly until filtering actions take place and actions are done. If you close new mail then on next download it must open again before anything gets done. If all messages are subject to some action to place in messages folders then the new mail will be empty and visual display will show that.

Suggestion #1 can be implemented.

It would be nice to have a way for users not willing to muck about with the program be able to implement it however.

To have all your mail and configuration information live on a drive separate from the Pegasus program:

Suppose you want your mail folder to be R:\MAIL instead of C:\PMAIL\MAIL

1) Copy the contents of C:\PMAIL\MAIL to R:\MAIL

2) Hexedit  PMAIL.CFG inside the programs folder so that the two strings read R:\MAIL\~N instead of C:\PMAIL\MAIL\~N

Alternatively, copy PMAIL.CFG to R.CFG and edit R.CFG as above.  Then start Pegasus with the -E R.CFG flag from the command line.

It still doesn't make much sense to give the focus to an empty window when new mail is downloaded and diverted, but I guess I can go back to using the new mail folder as a todo folder and not notice it.

More importantly, I can keep all my Pegasus info on an encrypted drive again [:D] No need to go looking for another program to purchase.

<p>Suggestion #1 can be implemented.</p><p> </p><p>It would be nice to have a way for users not willing to muck about with the program be able to implement it however.</p><p> </p><p>*********************** </p><p>To have all your mail and configuration information live on a drive separate from the Pegasus program:</p><p> </p><p>Suppose you want your mail folder to be R:\MAIL instead of C:\PMAIL\MAIL </p><p>1) Copy the contents of C:\PMAIL\MAIL to R:\MAIL</p><p>2) Hexedit  PMAIL.CFG inside the programs folder so that the two strings read R:\MAIL\~N instead of C:\PMAIL\MAIL\~N</p><p>Alternatively, copy PMAIL.CFG to R.CFG and edit R.CFG as above.  Then start Pegasus with the -E R.CFG flag from the command line.</p><p> ************************ </p><p> </p><p>It still doesn't make much sense to give the focus to an empty window when new mail is downloaded and diverted, but I guess I can go back to using the new mail folder as a todo folder and not notice it.</p><p> </p><p>More importantly, I can keep all my Pegasus info on an encrypted drive again [:D] No need to go looking for another program to purchase. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft