Community Discussions and Support
Running mercury smtp with exchnage 2003

Yes indeed we have done this and it does work.   It was a few weeks back but feel free to mail me chrisc@wwl.co.uk if you have any questions you think we may be able to answer.

Yes indeed we have done this and it does work.   It was a few weeks back but feel free to mail me chrisc@wwl.co.uk if you have any questions you think we may be able to answer.

Hi There

A friend of mine says he knows that it is possible to set up mercury inbound and outbound smtp server to work with exchange.

I am wanting to move across from using a remote mail server which my exchange server connects to via a pop3 connector (POPcon).

I am fully versed on setting up my mx and a record for my mail to point to my static internet IP address and also forwarding port 25 to my lan address of my box running mercury. I did consider letting Exchange be the first port of call for all inbound SMTP but I am worried about load on the server coping with the SPAM and the queuses and also security.

The problem I have is knowing which smtp services to definetely run in mercury and where and what settings I should enter. Also on the exchange side obviously I want to stop the pop3 connector running etc. I beleive that it would be much better for mercury to handle the inbound smtp traffic (less load on exchange and probably more secure) and then after it has handled the queue to forward it onto exchange/exchange mailboxes.

My set up is as follows (how it should be I take it)

Incoming traffic

mail.mycompany.co.uk points to my static internet IPaddress > Firewall forwards port 25 to LAN IP address 192.168.0.200 (mercury server) > 192.168.0.250 (my exchange server). > LAN client connecting to exchange via Outlook

Outgoing traffic

LAN client connecting to exchange via Outlook > Exchange SMTP out set to Mercury Server LAN address > Mercury SMTP out via DNS or via MY ISP (probably best through my ISP in case any issues with reverse DNS (PTR).

I take it to utlise Mercury for outgoing SMTP all I need to do is point my exchange SMTP out connector to LAN address of mecury server (192.168.0.200) and mercury will take care.

Any help for this set up would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Dominic

<P>Hi There</P> <P>A friend of mine says he knows that it is possible to set up mercury inbound and outbound smtp server to work with exchange.</P> <P>I am wanting to move across from using a remote mail server which my exchange server connects to via a pop3 connector (POPcon).</P> <P>I am fully versed on setting up my mx and a record for my mail to point to my static internet IP address and also forwarding port 25 to my lan address of my box running mercury. I did consider letting Exchange be the first port of call for all inbound SMTP but I am worried about load on the server coping with the SPAM and the queuses and also security.</P> <P>The problem I have is knowing which smtp services to definetely run in mercury and where and what settings I should enter. Also on the exchange side obviously I want to stop the pop3 connector running etc. I beleive that it would be much better for mercury to handle the inbound smtp traffic (less load on exchange and probably more secure) and then after it has handled the queue to forward it onto exchange/exchange mailboxes. </P> <P>My set up is as follows (how it should be I take it)</P> <P>Incoming traffic</P> <P>mail.mycompany.co.uk points to my static internet IPaddress > Firewall forwards port 25 to LAN IP address 192.168.0.200 (mercury server) > 192.168.0.250 (my exchange server). > LAN client connecting to exchange via Outlook</P> <P>Outgoing traffic</P> <P>LAN client connecting to exchange via Outlook > Exchange SMTP out set to Mercury Server LAN address > Mercury SMTP out via DNS or via MY ISP (probably best through my ISP in case any issues with reverse DNS (PTR).</P> <P>I take it to utlise Mercury for outgoing SMTP all I need to do is point my exchange SMTP out connector to LAN address of mecury server (192.168.0.200) and mercury will take care.</P> <P> Any help for this set up would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.</P> <P>Dominic</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft