Community Discussions and Support
Controlling remote mailbox

Just a quick caveat on all the excellent replies you've already received:

When you share files from one computer to another, you'll be tempted to just share the entire drive (or volume, or partition, if you prefer those terms).  DON'T DO IT.

Just share the pegasus email folder or folders.  If you share the whole drive, you increase your vulnerability to viruses and worms that use Microsoft Networking to spread.  There's no need to share the whole drive, you just need the folders that hold your messages and configuration files.

<p>Just a quick caveat on all the excellent replies you've already received:</p><p> When you share files from one computer to another, you'll be tempted to just share the entire drive (or volume, or partition, if you prefer those terms).  DON'T DO IT.  Just share the pegasus email folder or folders.  If you share the whole drive, you increase your vulnerability to viruses and worms that use Microsoft Networking to spread.  There's no need to share the whole drive, you just need the folders that hold your messages and configuration files.  </p>

Hi,

I have Pegasus 4.41 installed on a xp (sp2) box and would like to access it from another computer (also xp sp2) on the same home network.  Is there a way to run pegasus on the other machine with it's identities and preferences, and all the emails, copies of emails--basically all the work--is being stored on the remote machine?  Basically, I want to be working like a remote access by telnet.

Charles

<p>Hi,</p><p>I have Pegasus 4.41 installed on a xp (sp2) box and would like to access it from another computer (also xp sp2) on the same home network.  Is there a way to run pegasus on the other machine with it's identities and preferences, and all the emails, copies of emails--basically all the work--is being stored on the remote machine?  Basically, I want to be working like a remote access by telnet.</p><p>Charles  </p>

Use UltraVNC for this, works marvey.

• UltraVNC server process run on the 'remote' machine
  • set a password for access
  • use the UltraVNC viewer at your current machine
  • you will need to know the ip or machine name to connect.

I have done this both on the home network - use a laptop via wireless to connect to the desktop machine where Pegasus resides and from work -- more fun when firewall etc gets in the mix.

The reason for UltraVNC - Freeware and has a file transfer builtin.

http://www.uvnc.com

<p>Use UltraVNC for this, works marvey. </p><ul><li>UltraVNC server process run on the 'remote' machine</li><li>set a password for access</li><li>use the UltraVNC viewer at your current machine</li><li>you will need to know the ip or machine name to connect.</li></ul><p>I have done this both on the home network - use a laptop via wireless to connect to the desktop machine where Pegasus resides and from work -- more fun when firewall etc gets in the mix.</p><p> </p><p>The reason for UltraVNC - Freeware and has a file transfer builtin.</p><p> http://www.uvnc.com</p><p>  </p>

On 20 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Pegasus 4.41 installed on a xp (sp2) box and would like to
> access it from another computer (also xp sp2) on the same home
> network.  Is there a way to run pegasus on the other machine with it's
> identities and preferences, and all the emails, copies of
> emails--basically all the work--is being stored on the remote
> machine?  Basically, I want to be working like a remote access by
> telnet.
>
> Charles

Here's a way to setup Pegasus Mail is the networked mode on a LAN.

1.  Install WinPmail in the multiuser mode on the "server".  Use
    c:\pmail for the program; c:\pmail\mail for the mail
    directories.

2.  Run PCONFIG.exe and change the HOME and NEW mail directory
    specification to the \\server\vol\pmail\mail\~8 format.

3.  Go to the remote workstations and install a shortcut to the
    common program.

Ok, now you have the basic mail system setup.  You can send mail to
each other using Pegasus Mail and each user can have their own POP3 setup.

4.  Install Mercury/32 on this same server pointing to the Pegasus
    Mail directory structure.  Use MercuryD, MercuryS, MercuryC at
    least. Use \\server\vol\mercury\queue for the mail spool directory.

5.  Point MercuryD at all of your POP3 mailboxes to download the mail
    to your Pegasus Mail user directories.

You now can send and receive Internet mail via Pegasus Mail.  The
mail is delivered to the Pegasus Mail directories automatically.  You
send mail simply but putting the output files into the Mercury/32
mail spool directory.  This is accomplished automatically with a
Pegasus Mail User Defined Gateway.

6.  If you want to maintain Outlook, point Outlook at the at your
    Mercury/32 host as a POP3 and SMTP host using the Pegasus Mail
    username and password to pickup the mail.

You can do a complete inbound and outbound mail archive with this
setup using a simple Mercury/32 "Always" filter that put a copy in a
users mail directory.

On 20 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; Hi, &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I have Pegasus 4.41 installed on a xp (sp2) box and would like to &amp;gt; access it from another computer (also xp sp2) on the same home &amp;gt; network.&amp;nbsp; Is there a way to run pegasus on the other machine with it&#039;s &amp;gt; identities and preferences, and all the emails, copies of &amp;gt; emails--basically all the work--is being stored on the remote &amp;gt; machine?&amp;nbsp; Basically, I want to be working like a remote access by &amp;gt; telnet. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Charles Here&#039;s a way to setup Pegasus Mail is the networked mode on a LAN. 1.&amp;nbsp; Install WinPmail in the multiuser mode on the &quot;server&quot;.&amp;nbsp; Use &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; c:\pmail for the program; c:\pmail\mail for the mail &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; directories. 2.&amp;nbsp; Run PCONFIG.exe and change the HOME and NEW mail directory &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; specification to the \\server\vol\pmail\mail\~8 format. 3.&amp;nbsp; Go to the remote workstations and install a shortcut to the &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; common program. Ok, now you have the basic mail system setup.&amp;nbsp; You can send mail to each other using Pegasus Mail and each user can have their own POP3 setup. 4.&amp;nbsp; Install Mercury/32 on this same server pointing to the Pegasus &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Mail directory structure.&amp;nbsp; Use MercuryD, MercuryS, MercuryC at &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; least. Use \\server\vol\mercury\queue for the mail spool directory. 5.&amp;nbsp; Point MercuryD at all of your POP3 mailboxes to download the mail &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; to your Pegasus Mail user directories. You now can send and receive Internet mail via Pegasus Mail.&amp;nbsp; The mail is delivered to the Pegasus Mail directories automatically.&amp;nbsp; You send mail simply but putting the output files into the Mercury/32 mail spool directory.&amp;nbsp; This is accomplished automatically with a Pegasus Mail User Defined Gateway. 6.&amp;nbsp; If you want to maintain Outlook, point Outlook at the at your &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Mercury/32 host as a POP3 and SMTP host using the Pegasus Mail &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; username and password to pickup the mail. You can do a complete inbound and outbound mail archive with this setup using a simple Mercury/32 &quot;Always&quot; filter that put a copy in a users mail directory.

This is a bit more than I'm up for.  I guess I was wondering if I couldn't have two versions of Pegasus on two different computers able to control the same mailbox, checking the same pop addresses.

This is a bit more than I&#039;m up for.&amp;nbsp; I guess I was wondering if I couldn&#039;t have two versions of Pegasus on two different computers able to control the same mailbox, checking the same pop addresses.

[quote user="Charles Gran"]This is a bit more than I'm up for.  I guess I was wondering if I couldn't have two versions of Pegasus on two different computers able to control the same mailbox, checking the same pop addresses.
[/quote]

Oh yes you can, but make sure not to use both programs the same time. You need to decide which one is "leading", because if you set both programs to download your mail from the server you will end up with mail threads split over both computers.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Charles Gran&quot;]This is a bit more than I&#039;m up for.&amp;nbsp; I guess I was wondering if I couldn&#039;t have two versions of Pegasus on two different computers able to control the same mailbox, checking the same pop addresses. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Oh yes you can, but make sure not to use both programs the same time. You need to decide which one is &quot;leading&quot;, because if you set both programs to download your mail from the server you will end up with mail threads split over both computers.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Is there some step-by-step documentation for this?  I need to know what steps to follow the set up the second computer's pmail so that it can access the first's pmail box over a regular xp network.

Is there some step-by-step documentation for this?&amp;nbsp; I need to know what steps to follow the set up the second computer&#039;s pmail so that it can access the first&#039;s pmail box over a regular xp network.

[quote user="Charles Gran"]Is there some step-by-step documentation for this?  I need to know what steps to follow the set up the second computer's pmail so that it can access the first's pmail box over a regular xp network.
[/quote]

Sorry can't help as I know nothing about a regular xp network. But in general, it's quite easy.

Install Pegasus Mail for Windows on the other computer.

Set it up to your liking.

Do CTRL+L to get the folders listing upfront and go Folders -> Add mailbox to list, give it a name and the right path (here lacks my xp knowledge) something like \\server\volume\directory and you floders from that directory will be added to the folders listing.

Good luck.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Charles Gran&quot;]Is there some step-by-step documentation for this?&amp;nbsp; I need to know what steps to follow the set up the second computer&#039;s pmail so that it can access the first&#039;s pmail box over a regular xp network. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Sorry can&#039;t help as I know nothing about a regular xp network. But in general, it&#039;s quite easy.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Install Pegasus Mail for Windows on the other computer.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Set it up to your liking.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Do CTRL+L to get the folders listing upfront and go Folders -&amp;gt; Add mailbox to list, give it a name and the right path (here lacks my xp knowledge) something like \\server\volume\directory and you floders from that directory will be added to the folders listing.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Good luck.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

[quote user="Charles Gran"]Is there some step-by-step documentation for this?  I need to know what steps to follow the set up the second computer's pmail so that it can access the first's pmail box over a regular xp network.
[/quote]

I am going to assume that you have installed Pegasus Mail to c:\pmail and your mailbox is located in c:\pmail\mail\admin and that the name of this computer is "Charles".  Make any adjustments to this procedure if they are different.

1.   Share the mail volume on the first computer.  Call it something like C_Drive.  In UNC format this drive will be \\charles\c_drive:

2.    Install Pegasus Mail on the second computer to c:\pmail.

3.   Go to c:\pmail\programs and run the program pconfig.exe.  Change the Standalone HOME and NEW mail directory spec to \\charles\c_drive\pmail\mail\~r then save and exit.

Now when you run Pegasus Mail is will go to the other computer to find the mail directory.

I would be a lot easier though to just use a shortcut to the original  program.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Charles Gran&quot;]Is there some step-by-step documentation for this?&amp;nbsp; I need to know what steps to follow the set up the second computer&#039;s pmail so that it can access the first&#039;s pmail box over a regular xp network. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am going to assume that you have installed Pegasus Mail to c:\pmail and your mailbox is located in c:\pmail\mail\admin and that the name of this computer is &quot;Charles&quot;.&amp;nbsp; Make any adjustments to this procedure if they are different.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Share the mail volume on the first computer.&amp;nbsp; Call it something like C_Drive.&amp;nbsp; In UNC format this drive will be \\charles\c_drive: &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;2.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Install Pegasus Mail on the second computer to c:\pmail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;3.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Go to c:\pmail\programs and run the program pconfig.exe.&amp;nbsp; Change the Standalone HOME and NEW mail directory spec to \\charles\c_drive\pmail\mail\~r then save and exit. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Now when you run Pegasus Mail is will go to the other computer to find the mail directory.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I would be a lot easier though to just use a shortcut to the original&amp;nbsp; program.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

I would be a lot easier though to just use a shortcut to the original program.

[/quote]

What do you mean? 

[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I would be a lot easier though to just use a shortcut to the original program.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What do you mean?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Charles Gran"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

I would be a lot easier though to just use a shortcut to the original program.

[/quote]

What do you mean? 

[/quote]

Like I said the first time I answered.

1.  Install WinPmail in the multiuser mode on the "server".  Use
    c:\pmail for the program; c:\pmail\mail for the mail
    directories.

2.  Run PCONFIG.exe and change the HOME and NEW mail directory
    specification to the \\server\vol\pmail\mail\~8 format.

3.  Go to the remote workstations and install a shortcut to the
    common program.

Since WinPMail is already installed on the "server" all you would need to do is change the HOME and NEW mail directory spec to the UNC format and then create the shortcut to the current program from the remote workstation.

[quote user=&quot;Charles Gran&quot;][quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I would be a lot easier though to just use a shortcut to the original program.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What do you mean?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Like I said the first time I answered.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp; Install WinPmail in the multiuser mode on the &quot;server&quot;.&amp;nbsp; Use &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; c:\pmail for the program; c:\pmail\mail for the mail &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; directories. 2.&amp;nbsp; Run PCONFIG.exe and change the HOME and NEW mail directory &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; specification to the \\server\vol\pmail\mail\~8 format. 3.&amp;nbsp; Go to the remote workstations and install a shortcut to the &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; common program.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Since WinPMail is already installed on the &quot;server&quot; all you would need to do is change the HOME and NEW mail directory spec to the UNC format and then create the shortcut to the current program from the remote workstation.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

The problem will be of course - sharing of the directory on the 'server' machine. May wish to use a hidden share.

Windows Explorer

Locate your Pegasus mail directory

Right click - Share

ShareName: Pegasus$

The follow the note form Han 

&lt;p&gt;The problem will be of course - sharing of the directory on the &#039;server&#039; machine. May wish to use a hidden share.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Windows Explorer&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Locate your Pegasus mail directory&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Right click - Share&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;ShareName: Pegasus$&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The follow the note form Han&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft