Community Discussions and Support
How to configure Mercury as second (or better as first!) server

> When I choose the solution with "MercFwd daemon", can the Mercury server perform all the following
> tasks before the "MercFwd daemon" forwards all the emails to the Postfix server?
>
> the tasks would be as follows:
> - Graywall,
> - Spamhalter,
> - SMTP transaction filtering,
> - Content Control/Filtering rules,
> - and virus checking

Yes, since all you are doing here is using a daemon in the domains section to change the RCPT TO address and core uses this to send the mail off to the other server after all receipt processing is completed.

<p>> When I choose the solution with "<strong>MercFwd daemon</strong>", can the Mercury server perform all the following > tasks <strong>before</strong> the "MercFwd daemon" forwards all the emails to the Postfix server? > > the tasks would be as follows: > - Graywall, > - Spamhalter, > - SMTP transaction filtering, > - Content Control/Filtering rules, > - and virus checking</p><p> Yes, since all you are doing here is using a daemon in the domains section to change the RCPT TO address and core uses this to send the mail off to the other server after all receipt processing is completed.</p><p>. </p><p> </p><p> </p>

I'd like to configure a Mercury for spam and virus protection so, that in

the very same network segment an other server (Postfix running on Linux) is

already existing.

According to my idea I would switch the external IP / port 25 in my router's

NAT option from the internal IP address of the Postfix server (192.168.0.3)

to
the IP address (192.168.0.5) of the "new" Mercury server onto port

After the spam and virus check, I'd like to hand over all the "clean" mails

to the Postfix.
a.) do I have to use "Domain Mailbox" for this?
b.)

'admin' is enough as local user, isn't it?
c.) MercuryS and MercuryE enough

to do this?

To solve this issue what is the best solution?
1.) with 'mercfwd.dll

Daemon', or
2.) with 'Rewrite' (is it possible to use this option in case of

more (2) domains)?

Here comes a part from mercury.ini:

1st case:

[Domains]
prefilter: prefilter
prefilter:

mail.example-1.com
prefilter:

mail.example-2.com
daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.0.3]:

mail.example-1.com
daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.0.3]:

mail.example-2.com

2nd case:

[Rewrite]
mail.example-1.com: [192.168.0.3]
mail.example-2.com:

[192.168.0.3]

Note to the test case for the 1st option:
at the start

of Mercury the mercfwd.dll writes the following to the console:

Fri, 13:33:53 MercFwd Daemon is designed for MercuryAPI 3.01 - 4.198.
Fri,

13:33:53 Current version is 4.218,
Fri, 13:33:53    you may encounter some

compatibility problem.
Fri, 13:33:53 Daemon MercuryForward 0.03

started.

Despite all this it worked in case of local tests.

The version for testing: Mercury/32 v4.73 + SpamHalter, clamwall,

graywall.

Thank you in advance for all your help

Peter

<p>I'd like to configure a Mercury for spam and virus protection so, that in the very same network segment an other server (Postfix running on Linux) is already existing.</p> <p>According to my idea I would switch the external IP / port 25 in my router's NAT option from the internal IP address of the Postfix server (192.168.0.3) to the IP address (192.168.0.5) of the "new" Mercury server onto port 25.</p> <p>After the spam and virus check, I'd like to hand over all the "clean" mails to the Postfix. a.) do I have to use "Domain Mailbox" for this? b.) 'admin' is enough as local user, isn't it? c.) MercuryS and MercuryE enough to do this?</p> <p>To solve this issue what is the best solution? 1.) with 'mercfwd.dll Daemon', or 2.) with 'Rewrite' (is it possible to use this option in case of more (2) domains)?</p> <p>Here comes a part from mercury.ini:</p> <p><strong>1st case:</strong></p> <p>[Domains] prefilter: prefilter prefilter: mail.example-1.com prefilter: mail.example-2.com daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.0.3]: mail.example-1.com daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.0.3]: mail.example-2.com</p> <p><strong>2nd case:</strong></p> <p>[Rewrite] mail.example-1.com: [192.168.0.3] mail.example-2.com: [192.168.0.3]</p> <p><strong>Note</strong> to the test case for the 1st option: at the start of Mercury the mercfwd.dll writes the following to the console:</p> <blockquote> <p>Fri, 13:33:53 MercFwd Daemon is designed for MercuryAPI 3.01 - 4.198. Fri, 13:33:53 Current version is 4.218, Fri, 13:33:53    you may encounter some compatibility problem. Fri, 13:33:53 Daemon MercuryForward 0.03 started.</p></blockquote> <p>Despite all this it worked in case of local tests.</p> <p>The version for testing: Mercury/32 v4.73 + SpamHalter, clamwall, graywall.</p> <p>Thank you in advance for all your help</p> <p>Peter</p>

As long as the mail is being received by the internal host on port 25, you are using MercuryE, and the receiving host can use literal addressing then the MercFwd daemon is the way to go. 

If you have to send to a different port or are using MercuryC to send the mail then you need to use WSMTPEx.exe to send the mail to the other server from a domain mailbox.

I use a mix of all of these using a Mercury gateway server sending to various internal mail servers.

[Domains]
stephens: stephens
stephens: [209.128.94.2]
stephens: mail.tstephenson.com
stephens: tstephenson.com
stephens: [192.168.1.2]
dm=merwin: merwin-tstephenson.com
daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.43]: linux-tstephenson.com
dm=merc452: merc452.tstephenson.com
dm=dyndns: dyndns-tstephenson.dyndns.org
dm=merwin: merwin.dyndns.org
daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.3]: novell-tstephenson.com
daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.31]: xampp.from-ca.com

<p>As long as the mail is being received by the internal host on port 25, you are using MercuryE, and the receiving host can use literal addressing then the MercFwd daemon is the way to go.  </p><p>If you have to send to a different port or are using MercuryC to send the mail then you need to use WSMTPEx.exe to send the mail to the other server from a domain mailbox.</p><p>I use a mix of all of these using a Mercury gateway server sending to various internal mail servers. </p><p>[Domains] stephens: stephens stephens: [209.128.94.2] stephens: mail.tstephenson.com stephens: tstephenson.com stephens: [192.168.1.2] dm=merwin: merwin-tstephenson.com daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.43]: linux-tstephenson.com dm=merc452: merc452.tstephenson.com dm=dyndns: dyndns-tstephenson.dyndns.org dm=merwin: merwin.dyndns.org daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.3]: novell-tstephenson.com daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.31]: xampp.from-ca.com</p><p> </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

As long as the mail is being received by the internal host on port 25, you are using MercuryE, and the receiving host can use literal addressing then the MercFwd daemon is the way to go. 

[/quote]

Thomas thank you for your reply,

When I choose the solution with "MercFwd daemon", can the Mercury server perform all the following
tasks before the "MercFwd daemon" forwards all the emails to the Postfix server?

the tasks would be as follows:
- Graywall,
- Spamhalter,
- SMTP transaction filtering,
- Content Control/Filtering rules,
- and virus checking

I ask because Daemons are executed earlier than the Content Controls - I read this on Page 104 in the Manual at section "Message Processing Flowchart"

Additional Questions:
- On this server 'admin' is enough as local user? (Furthermore still needed 'spam' and 'nospam' users for Spamhalter)
- Or should I set all my users who exist on the Postfix server?

Thank you in advance

Peter

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] <P>As long as the mail is being received by the internal host on port 25, you are using MercuryE, and the receiving host can use literal addressing then the MercFwd daemon is the way to go.  </P> <P mce_keep="true">[/quote]</P> <P mce_keep="true">Thomas thank you for your reply,</P> <P mce_keep="true">When I choose the solution with "<STRONG>MercFwd daemon</STRONG>", can the Mercury server perform all the following tasks <STRONG>before</STRONG> the "MercFwd daemon" forwards all the emails to the Postfix server?</P> <P mce_keep="true">the tasks would be as follows: - Graywall, - Spamhalter, - SMTP transaction filtering, - Content Control/Filtering rules, - and virus checking</P> <P mce_keep="true">I ask because Daemons are executed earlier than the Content Controls - I read this on Page 104 in the Manual at section "Message Processing Flowchart"</P> <P mce_keep="true">Additional Questions: - On this server 'admin' is enough as local user? (Furthermore still needed 'spam' and 'nospam' users for Spamhalter) - Or should I set all my users who exist on the Postfix server?</P> <P mce_keep="true">Thank you in advance</P> <P mce_keep="true">Peter</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft