Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Logging default on when sending to distribution lists

[quote user="Henrik Rosenø"]I don't use distribution lists often, but when I do, I often have problems.

It seems to me, that when you send to a few addresses (in the address field) and something goes wrong, you get a meaningfull "Mail delivery failure"-error message that tells you who received it and who did not, but when I send to a distribution list the error messages are kind of cryptic and they don't tell me who received the message and who did not. So I end up having to send it again and writing something like "I am sorry if you have received this more than once"...

On the other hand you don't assume that something will go wrong before you send the message, but it would be nice if Pegasus could give me a helping hand to compensate for the lacks of the SMTP when it handles distribution lists.[/quote]

Unfortunately with distribution lists you are in the hands of the SMTP server you use and the error messages it returns. (Exactly the same as having a large BCC address list.)  Also, different servers often have different limits on the number of recipients.  I send out weekly messages to over 1000 addresses via distribution lists - I split the total down into multiple lists so that I can identify which 'batch' has a problem.  You also need to double-check all the entries to ensure they are all valid address formats with no strange characters.

An alternative would be to use the Mail Merge feature and send an individual email to each address.

[quote user="Henrik Rosenø"]I don't use distribution lists often, but when I do, I often have problems. <P>It seems to me, that when you send to a few addresses (in the address field) and something goes wrong, you get a meaningfull "Mail delivery failure"-error message that tells you who received it and who did not, but when I send to a distribution list the error messages are kind of cryptic and they don't tell me who received the message and who did not. So I end up having to send it again and writing something like "I am sorry if you have received this more than once"... </P> <P>On the other hand you don't assume that something will go wrong before you send the message, but it would be nice if Pegasus could give me a helping hand to compensate for the lacks of the SMTP when it handles distribution lists.[/quote]</P> <P>Unfortunately with distribution lists you are in the hands of the SMTP server you use and the error messages it returns. (Exactly the same as having a large BCC address list.)  Also, different servers often have different limits on the number of recipients.  I send out weekly messages to over 1000 addresses via distribution lists - I split the total down into multiple lists so that I can identify which 'batch' has a problem.  You also need to double-check all the entries to ensure they are all valid address formats with no strange characters.</P> <P>An alternative would be to use the Mail Merge feature and send an individual email to each address.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hi David etc.

I don't use distribution lists often, but when I do, I often have problems.

It seems to me, that when you send to a few addresses (in the address field) and something goes wrong, you get a meaningfull "Mail delivery failure"-error message that tells you who received it and who did not, but when I send to a distribution list the error messages are kind of cryptic and they don't tell me who received the message and who did not. So I end up having to send it again and writing something like "I am sorry if you have received this more than once"...

On the other hand you don't assume that something will go wrong before you send the message, but it would be nice if Pegasus could give me a helping hand to compensate for the lacks of the SMTP when it handles distribution lists.

Thanks.

And thank you for making it a lot easier to use the keyboard to scroll, when reading messages in the new v.4.61, although there are some problems with the scroll-bars here on my Acer netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

Best regards,

Henrik Rosenø

Addition:

It would also be nice to have the option that the recipient simply sees his own address.

<p>Hi David etc.</p><p>I don't use distribution lists often, but when I do, I often have problems. </p><p>It seems to me, that when you send to a few addresses (in the address field) and something goes wrong, you get a meaningfull "Mail delivery failure"-error message that tells you who received it and who did not, but when I send to a distribution list the error messages are kind of cryptic and they don't tell me who received the message and who did not. So I end up having to send it again and writing something like "I am sorry if you have received this more than once"... </p><p>On the other hand you don't assume that something will go wrong before you send the message, but it would be nice if Pegasus could give me a helping hand to compensate for the lacks of the SMTP when it handles distribution lists. </p><p>Thanks. </p><p>And thank you for making it a lot easier to use the keyboard to scroll, when reading messages in the new v.4.61, although there are some problems with the scroll-bars here on my Acer netbook with Windows 7 Starter. </p><p>Best regards,</p><p>Henrik Rosenø </p><p>Addition: </p><p>It would also be nice to have the option that the recipient simply sees his own address.</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft