Community Discussions and Support
How do I open Pegaus Mail files copied to CD on a new computer

> What is really needed here is a utility that will take an existing .PMM file which contains multiple messages, and split them out into
> individual .CNM files.  These .CNM files can then be reloaded into Pegasus by copying them to the Mail directory.  At that point, they
> will appear as new emails to Pegasus, and can be read/refiled/deleted as desired.

You might try using this utility to put the PMM/PMI on some read/write media and then pointing at the location using the "Add mailbox to list"

PMRestArch - Pegasus Mail Restore Mail Folder Archives:
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg

Usage:
PMRestArch SourceDir DestinationDir

Description:
Pegasus Mail cannot display two mail folders with the same internal ID even if they are in separate mailboxes. Mail folders also have to be Read-Write.

This causes problems when trying to view mail folders which have been archived by copying them to backup media.

This utility:

1.  Copies all .PMM and .PMI files in the source directory to
    the destination directory and renames them as BAKxxxxx.PMM
    and BAKxxxx.PMI.

2.  Ensures that the resulting file is Read/Write.

3.  Creates a different internal unique ID for each file.

Once you have run this program to restore archived folders to a directory you can attach that directory using the Pegasus Mail 'Add mailbox to list' option and access the archived folders in this new mailbox.

> Does such a utility exist?  It should actually not be too hard to create one (a PERL or PYTHON script perhaps).  Shouldn't even need to
> use the accompanying .PMI file, but you will lose any meta-data associated with each message.

I'm sure there is but I cannot find one right now.  You might checkout http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FAQs/pmail-addons.html   This was last updated in 2006 but the v2.x format has not really changed at all.

> What is really needed here is a utility that will take an existing .PMM file which contains multiple messages, and split them out into > individual .CNM files.  These .CNM files can then be reloaded into Pegasus by copying them to the Mail directory.  At that point, they > will appear as new emails to Pegasus, and can be read/refiled/deleted as desired. You might try using this utility to put the PMM/PMI on some read/write media and then pointing at the location using the "Add mailbox to list" PMRestArch - Pegasus Mail Restore Mail Folder Archives: <a href="http://www.lexacorp.com.pg" title="http://www.lexacorp.com.pg" mce_href="http://www.lexacorp.com.pg">http://www.lexacorp.com.pg</a> Usage: PMRestArch SourceDir DestinationDir Description: Pegasus Mail cannot display two mail folders with the same internal ID even if they are in separate mailboxes. Mail folders also have to be Read-Write.        This causes problems when trying to view mail folders which have been archived by copying them to backup media. This utility: 1.  Copies all .PMM and .PMI files in the source directory to     the destination directory and renames them as BAKxxxxx.PMM     and BAKxxxx.PMI. 2.  Ensures that the resulting file is Read/Write. 3.  Creates a different internal unique ID for each file. Once you have run this program to restore archived folders to a directory you can attach that directory using the Pegasus Mail 'Add mailbox to list' option and access the archived folders in this new mailbox. > Does such a utility exist?  It should actually not be too hard to create one (a PERL or PYTHON script perhaps).  Shouldn't even need to > use the accompanying .PMI file, but you will lose any meta-data associated with each message. I'm sure there is but I cannot find one right now.  You might checkout <a href="http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FAQs/pmail-addons.html" title="http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FAQs/pmail-addons.html" mce_href="http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FAQs/pmail-addons.html">http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FAQs/pmail-addons.html</a>   This was last updated in 2006 but the v2.x format has not really changed at all.

Hello,

Please can you kindly help me. I have looked at some posts that appeared relevant but it turns out they are not quite my concern.

In 2003 and 2004 I was in the habit of copying my whole PMAIL folder to CD-R via Nero Burning program. I did this several times onto several different CD-Rs.

Several computers later (now an ACER Aspire laptop) I have tried to find out if I can get access to these messages and find I cannot open them. Here is what I have on the CD-Rs:

PMAIL folder containing MAIL folder which contains thousands of "messages" with .PM$ extensions but all displaying the Adobe Reader icon, and .CNM files with the Pegasus icon. The file names are various letters and numbers not generated by my choice.

PMAIL folder also contains a host of other Pegasus files with .dll, .hlp, .fff. LOG, .frm, .INI, .bmp, .GID and .exe including winpm-3.2.exe.

When I double left click on a .CMN file in MAIL folder with the Pegasus icon the CD-R open the Pegasus Mail stored on the disk - that is Pegasus V3.1 for Win32 v 3.12 (Win32) Feb 24 2000, and it opens a new blank message. i.e. not my saved message.

When I double left click on a .PM$ extension file with the Adobe icon Abode Reader opens and displays "Adobe Reader could not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded".  I am certain to have a lot of adobe files attached to these saved emails. But they are not important to me. Its text emails I am after, plus any photo attachments sent or received and not saved elsewhere on my hard drive.

I have also  yesterday installed from Pegasus website Pegasus Mail V4 Version 4.61 (Win 32) Feb 5 2011. I have not made it my mail client as I have been working since 2004 with Microsoft Outlook Express or Windows Mail which came preloaded on new computers. I have copied some of the above messages into the that versions PMAIL MAIL folder but I do not know how if at all Version 4.61 can open them.

Oh, my old hard drive died taking with it all my original files which a disk recovery company could not get me back.

Thank you so much for nay help you can offer me.

Pondy.

When I double click on a Pegasus icon what opens is the Pegasus mail program stored on the same CD-R

<p>Hello,</p><p>Please can you kindly help me. I have looked at some posts that appeared relevant but it turns out they are not quite my concern.</p><p>In 2003 and 2004 I was in the habit of copying my whole PMAIL folder to CD-R via Nero Burning program. I did this several times onto several different CD-Rs.</p><p>Several computers later (now an ACER Aspire laptop) I have tried to find out if I can get access to these messages and find I cannot open them. Here is what I have on the CD-Rs:</p><p>PMAIL folder containing MAIL folder which contains thousands of "messages" with .PM$ extensions but all displaying the Adobe Reader icon, and .CNM files with the Pegasus icon. The file names are various letters and numbers not generated by my choice.</p><p>PMAIL folder also contains a host of other Pegasus files with .dll, .hlp, .fff. LOG, .frm, .INI, .bmp, .GID and .exe including winpm-3.2.exe. </p><p>When I double left click on a .CMN file in MAIL folder with the Pegasus icon the CD-R open the Pegasus Mail stored on the disk - that is Pegasus V3.1 for Win32 v 3.12 (Win32) Feb 24 2000, and it opens a new blank message. i.e. not my saved message. </p><p>When I double left click on a .PM$ extension file with the Adobe icon Abode Reader opens and displays "Adobe Reader could not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded".  I am certain to have a lot of adobe files attached to these saved emails. But they are not important to me. Its text emails I am after, plus any photo attachments sent or received and not saved elsewhere on my hard drive.</p><p> I have also  yesterday installed from Pegasus website Pegasus Mail V4 Version 4.61 (Win 32) Feb 5 2011. I have not made it my mail client as I have been working since 2004 with Microsoft Outlook Express or Windows Mail which came preloaded on new computers. I have copied some of the above messages into the that versions PMAIL MAIL folder but I do not know how if at all Version 4.61 can open them.</p><p>Oh, my old hard drive died taking with it all my original files which a disk recovery company could not get me back.</p><p>Thank you so much for nay help you can offer me. </p><p>Pondy. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>When I double click on a Pegasus icon what opens is the Pegasus mail program stored on the same CD-R </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

*.cnm files are new mail files that were still in your new mail folder when you copied the Program to CD.

Each message is a single cnm file that can be copied into the Mail Directory in your new installation.

Most of your messages were probably in mail folders.

In the Mail Directories you should see pairs of files with the extensions PMM and PMI.

Each pair is a mail folder and these can be copied into the Mail Directory on your new installation also.

Make sure none of the files is marked read only.

-- 

James Quigley

<p>*.cnm files are new mail files that were still in your new mail folder when you copied the Program to CD.</p><p>Each message is a single cnm file that can be copied into the Mail Directory in your new installation.</p><p>Most of your messages were probably in mail folders.</p><p>In the Mail Directories you should see pairs of files with the extensions PMM and PMI.</p><p>Each pair is a mail folder and these can be copied into the Mail Directory on your new installation also.</p><p>Make sure none of the files is marked read only.</p><p>-- </p><p>James Quigley</p><p> </p><p> </p>

What is really needed here is a utility that will take an existing .PMM file which contains multiple messages, and split them out into individual .CNM files.  These .CNM files can then be reloaded into Pegasus by copying them to the Mail directory.  At that point, they will appear as new emails to Pegasus, and can be read/refiled/deleted as desired.

Does such a utility exist?  It should actually not be too hard to create one (a PERL or PYTHON script perhaps).  Shouldn't even need to use the accompanying .PMI file, but you will lose any meta-data associated with each message.

<p>What is really needed here is a utility that will take an existing .PMM file which contains multiple messages, and split them out into individual .CNM files.  These .CNM files can then be reloaded into Pegasus by copying them to the Mail directory.  At that point, they will appear as new emails to Pegasus, and can be read/refiled/deleted as desired.</p><p>Does such a utility exist?  It should actually not be too hard to create one (a PERL or PYTHON script perhaps).  Shouldn't even need to use the accompanying .PMI file, but you will lose any meta-data associated with each message.</p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft